Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
What is happening with seit???
1  2  Next

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 10:46 am
will someone please explain to me what is going on with seit?all I keep hearing from old time seits that everything is changing, and there are hardly any jobs for anyone, and at a lower pay. Im worried because I planned to go into it, as it is more flexible than what I am doing now. can anyone give me info?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 10:52 am
If you are going into it now it's really hard to find cases especially if you are not in any school or agencies.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 10:59 am
doesnt yeled Vyalda still run multiple aba centers and send seit's to many schools?

mommy100

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 11:17 am
The Board of Ed just cut Seit pay by 22% alot of the agencies are getting together to try to fight it but as of now nothing has happened. They have also changed the rules so that if a child is mandated for 5 or more hours you must go in 5 days a week and not just four. It is also very hard to find jobs at the begining of the school year since not all children get approved until later on in the year.

goforit

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 11:28 am
amother wrote:
will someone please explain to me what is going on with seit?all I keep hearing from old time seits that everything is changing, and there are hardly any jobs for anyone, and at a lower pay. Im worried because I planned to go into it, as it is more flexible than what I am doing
now. can anyone give me info?

I am looking for a ciet after 4:00 if anyone knows of someone in bp

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 12:51 pm
bump

how is it going for everyone?

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 1:10 pm
Still waiting for cases here. I have my name down with at least 4 different agencies (it's hard to keep track, actually. But at least 3 for sure that I've worked with within the last year, and others I have contacted in the past and am trying to renew contact now) and zero.

I really think providers need to unionize. It is absolutely insane for them to cut rates and impose additional requirements at the same time. What do they think we're going to live on? The DOE is required to provide these services for students with special needs, if we all band together to make fair demands they will have to do something about it.

Meanwhile I'm branching out and also looking for EI cases (whose pay was also cut, I believe, but not that recently) and other work, I'd be willing to take a steady job even if it's less per hour just for the stability of it. But there's not that much available and I am totally spoiled from my SEIT years, I can't bring myself to take a steady job that requires me to be away from home past when my own kids are getting home, or one that pays the equivalent of $20 an hour no matter how steady it is. Maybe I'll get over that but for now I am totally spoiled and have these demands!

runninglate

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 1:22 pm
goforit wrote:
I am looking for a ciet after 4:00 if anyone knows of someone in bp
Is your child mandated on the IEP to receive services at home? This is another one of the new rules.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 1:25 pm
runninglate wrote:
Is your child mandated on the IEP to receive services at home? This is another one of the new rules.

If not, you can have it changed to home /school/community.

runninglate

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 1:27 pm
Yes, but only if you manage to convince your administrator to make the change, and I've heard it isn't easy.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 10:34 pm
So what is the answer? Am I doomed to not be able to move on to something flexible? And why pray tell are there so so many many girls still going for special Ed??

runninglate

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 10:50 pm
My answer would be that now is definitely an inopportune time to quit a steady job in the hopes of getting seit cases.

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 11:55 pm
I think special ed is still a fine field to go into for the right people. However I agree with runninglate's summary - don't quit your job to look for SEIT. Regarding going into the field in the first place, SEIT was never the main job in special ed, it's something that the frum community capitalized on big time but for years already there has been a supply-demand imbalance due to the DOE cutting down while more people want to do it due to the appealing nature of the job. But there is still plenty of classroom teaching, resource rooms, etc to be done. Don't go into special ed if you're looking for easy money, but do consider it among other options if you feel passionate about special needs education and enjoy working with this population.

howru2day

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 11:58 pm
I don't think the amount of cases were actually cut. (I actually do have a full caseload) But since there are plenty of SEITs looking for jobs, the agencies and schools really pick and choose who to give their cases to and what ends up happening some times is that some SEITs are overloaded and others empty.

Though many benefits SEITs used to have previously were now taken away and there was a price cut.

It is a very competitive field and difficult for newcomers to make it.

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 12:01 am
Well if any SEITs are feeling overloaded I know about half a dozen who would love to take hours off their hands. I know at least one experienced, well-liked SEIT who has been with the same agency for years so if there were cases available you'd think she'd be getting them, and most years it is at least a few months before she has a full caseload. I think for her it evens out eventually but for me I can't handle the stress of not knowing when or how much I am ever going to get.

There was also that rate cut you mentioned, and I don't know what benefits you mean (I did a little SEIT and don't recall being offered any benefits, ever) but they did add more requirements. So it's not such a peachy job anymore, though those who have enough of it to get by are still very lucky compared to other jobs.

howru2day

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 12:02 am
seeker wrote:
I think special ed is still a fine field to go into for the right people. However I agree with runninglate's summary - don't quit your job to look for SEIT. Regarding going into the field in the first place, SEIT was never the main job in special ed, it's something that the frum community capitalized on big time but for years already there has been a supply-demand imbalance due to the DOE cutting down while more people want to do it due to the appealing nature of the job. But there is still plenty of classroom teaching, resource rooms, etc to be done. Don't go into special ed if you're looking for easy money, but do consider it among other options if you feel passionate about special needs education and enjoy working with this population.

Agree with this too! Especially about the part of being passionate in this field of work. People go into this line thinking it's ready money but they don't realize that they are doing more harm than good if they are not cut out for it

howru2day

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 12:06 am
seeker wrote:
Well if any SEITs are feeling overloaded I know about half a dozen who would love to take hours off their hands. I know at least one experienced, well-liked SEIT who has been with the same agency for years so if there were cases available you'd think she'd be getting them, and most years it is at least a few months before she has a full caseload. I think for her it evens out eventually but for me I can't handle the stress of not knowing when or how much I am ever going to get.

There was also that rate cut you mentioned, and I don't know what benefits you mean (I did a little SEIT and don't recall being offered any benefits, ever) but they did add more requirements. So it's not such a peachy job anymore, though those who have enough of it to get by are still very lucky compared to other jobs.

By benefits I was referring to the fact that we used to get paid for the time spent collaborating with parents and when student was absent we got paid half. This was cut too due to the different billing system.

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 12:11 am
Right. These policies make the job much less professionally viable. If the child doesn't show up at the last minute, you lose the day's work and pay. In what other profession is this OK, that you can get an unpaid cancellation with no advance notice? And they added more time requirements for indirect such as parent collaboration etc. If you happen to be so experienced and well-equipped that you don't need to do much prep, and the parent/teacher isn't interested in talking much and has no questions or concerns, then you are still stuck with many hours per month that you need to be doing something even if nothing needs doing. And you don't get paid extra for this. And even the time you do get paid for is now paid less. Very not OK.

howru2day

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 12:24 am
Yup. This was a real let-down this school year.

goforit

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 2:02 am
runninglate wrote:
Yes, but only if you manage to convince your administrator to make the change, and I've heard it isn't easy.

Yup that is a issue.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics