Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
DD is treyfing up my kitchen!
Previous  1  2

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 12:43 pm
Jewishmom8 wrote:
what would happen if you banned her from the kitchen for like a week? She would be really mad. but maybe she would get that she HAS to pay attention.
Do you think that could work?

That might work for a neurotypical kid, but not for a special needs kiddo. I honestly think that she truly just doesn't pay attention because she's so impulsive. She is so smart, yet so clueless at the same time, it's baffling. Punishment does not work, because she isn't doing anything intentionally wrong.

Jewishmom8

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 1:45 pm
ok, I understand that.
maybe just use a lot of throw away plates and stuff.
it may just make life a lot easier..

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 2:02 pm
If it helps any, I understand the absent-mindedness. My dad once poured my younger brother a bowl of cereal in the morning when my mom was away for a night. He used orange juice by mistake instead of milk- to his credit, once he realized, he took that bowl for himself and poured my brother a new one (with milk). He and my mother kind of had an agreement that he never cooked other than pareve for this reason (e.g. oatmeal or eggs).

I would personally go with glass plates and kasherable silverware if you don't want to do disposable. Do you have a shuk in Nahariyah, or is the closest one in Haifa? I've found some pretty things in the shuk in Yerushalayim.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 2:46 pm
amother wrote:
If it helps any, I understand the absent-mindedness. My dad once poured my younger brother a bowl of cereal in the morning when my mom was away for a night. He used orange juice by mistake instead of milk- to his credit, once he realized, he took that bowl for himself and poured my brother a new one (with milk). He and my mother kind of had an agreement that he never cooked other than pareve for this reason (e.g. oatmeal or eggs).

I would personally go with glass plates and kasherable silverware if you don't want to do disposable. Do you have a shuk in Nahariyah, or is the closest one in Haifa? I've found some pretty things in the shuk in Yerushalayim.

*Sigh* I just got back from the store, and bought 32 shekels worth of disposables.

We're hoping to make a trip to the shuk in Acco soon, so I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the idea!

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 5:43 pm
Sorry I can't hug you in this forum. Being on galus standard time I have to put up supper so can't read the thread right now but I do want to wish you hatzlacha!

sweetpotato

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 11:45 am
FF, if I were in your shoes I'd focus on damage control while still trying to maintain normative kashrut practices for chinuch purposes. What about getting two small sets of glass dishes and bowls (Corelle counts as glass, according to many mainstream positions) with distinct patterns. Put away your "treyfable" ceramic dishes, and use both small sets of glass dishes during the week. Only bring out the ceramic/china when you have guests or for Shabbos or if you're supervising the kitchen closely. That way if DD does make a mistake, it'll be with glass, which can be held not to absorb anything (or with kasherable metal utensils), but she'll still be learning to distinguish between meat and dairy dishes. You also won't have to worry about the potential effects for other people eating in your house. Disposables is certainly a way around it, but it has the negative aspect of being wasteful/expensive long term, and also doesn't help your DD learn to navigate a kosher kitchen.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 11:53 am
sweetpotato wrote:
FF, if I were in your shoes I'd focus on damage control while still trying to maintain normative kashrut practices for chinuch purposes. What about getting two small sets of glass dishes and bowls (Corelle counts as glass, according to many mainstream positions) with distinct patterns. Put away your "treyfable" ceramic dishes, and use both small sets of glass dishes during the week. Only bring out the ceramic/china when you have guests or for Shabbos or if you're supervising the kitchen closely. That way if DD does make a mistake, it'll be with glass, which can be held not to absorb anything (or with kasherable metal utensils), but she'll still be learning to distinguish between meat and dairy dishes. You also won't have to worry about the potential effects for other people eating in your house. Disposables is certainly a way around it, but it has the negative aspect of being wasteful/expensive long term, and also doesn't help your DD learn to navigate a kosher kitchen.

I inherited a gorgeous set of Fostoria glassware from my mom, and DH holds that it's kasherable. As soon as my lift arrives, I'll unpack it and start soaking it. I'll have to check with DH, but I think I need to change the water three times, right? The dishes haven't been used in at least 10 years, they've just been sitting in storage.

DD loves the idea of having things that are only hers, that no one else is allowed to touch. By having her own set of meat and dairy dishes for every day, I think that I can get her to take "ownership" of them and she'll be more responsible. She's super good about taking care of her bike and computer, so I think I can get her on board with this idea, too.

Now, how do I get her to remember to put the milk back in the fridge, and the lid back on the mayo jar? Banging head

animeme

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 11:58 am
Quote:
Now, how do I get her to remember to put the milk back in the fridge, and the lid back on the mayo jar?

When you figure that out, please let us know. I have a feeling there's a lot of us who need that help for children and dhs...

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 1:36 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

Now, how do I get her to remember to put the milk back in the fridge, and the lid back on the mayo jar? Banging head

My DIL sent me a picture of her fridge after DS finished breakfast -- very neatly lined up next to each other in the fridge were the milk and the box of cereal!

I told her that at least he didn't put the milk in the cereal cabinet!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen