Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Would you let a 9 year old bike to school?

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 3:03 pm
A few kids in his class ride by bike to school together, and he also wants to. I am uncomfortable with it, would rather he go with carpool. Would you let? Am I being overprotective?

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 3:10 pm
How far? Suburbs or city? Are there bike lanes? Has he taken a safety class for riding bicycles on the road? How old is this child?

Last edited by MagentaYenta on Mon, Sep 07 2015, 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

professor

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 3:10 pm
yes, if he wears a helmet and if you know that he would get off the bike every time he crosses the street. if he would lie to you and say he does when he really stays on the bike while on the street, than NO. as loing as he rides the bike only on the sidewalk

Maya

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 3:29 pm
Absolutely not. No way.

vicki

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 3:32 pm
I would and my daughters have.
But it depends how far, what kind of terrain, what kind of roads to cross, what kind of neighborhood and what else stands between your home and the school.

happybeingamom

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 3:38 pm
No, not a 9 year old. An eleven year old only if I felt the conditions were safe.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 3:45 pm
It is in city. No bike lanes. About 5-10 minute ride. I doubt the other kids are getting off the bike by every little street. Maybe by the avenues yes.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 3:46 pm
No

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 4:06 pm
amother wrote:
It is in city. No bike lanes. About 5-10 minute ride. I doubt the other kids are getting off the bike by every little street. Maybe by the avenues yes.

No. The fact that they aren't getting off their bikes and walking them through cross walks tells me a bicycle safety class is needed before the child uses the machine for transportation.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 4:27 pm
With a group of friends who know the street rules, I totally would be ok with that.

LittleDucky

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 4:27 pm
For me it would depend on a variety of factors.

1. Do I trust my kid? How mature is he? (Some 9 year olds are more responsible than 11 year olds. But some act like 7 year olds...) This is the most important one of all. Does he show you that he is a responsible boy? Can he be relied upon to act appropriately? What about in an emergency? Does he know what to do? (What if he sees CV another boy get hurt? His tire pops?)

2. Will he always wear a helmet? Will he follow peer pressure to not wear one??? I have a strong belief that NO person should ever ride a bike without a helmet, especially kids. A teacher at a school near me told me that so many kids take off their helmets a block from the house/school and keep riding without one. (Once you are wearing one, why take it off???) And Parents: be good role models. Make your teenagers wear one too. So many high school boys wear a black hat riding... that wont help in an accident CV. I know someone who was in a bad bike accident. Not their fault at all, nothing they could have done to predict or prevent it. They needed surgery for a broken leg and long recovery... but B"H was wearing a helmet. The helmet broke, but BH not a scratch on their head. And that is the most important part. They aren't that expensive and they saved this person's life. If the leg broke so bad that surgery was needed, imagine if no helmet was worn... shock

3. How dangerous of an area do you live in? You say it is 5-10 minutes. What kind of city are we talking about?

4. What kind of road will it be on? Will there be lights? Will he get off the bike to cross them?

5. How safe of a rider is he?

Depending on how you answer these questions would decide this IMO. And warn him that you will be watching him ride and if you catch him doing something against the rules (that you write up for him and make him sign: always wear a helmet while riding. Walk the bike across the street. Always ride with a partner. Follow traffic rules...) then he will lose the privilege. It is a privilege and not a right. And actually watch him ride (without him knowing) every so often and report to him: You know, I saw you were wearing your helmet today. Thank you. or Where was your biking friend? Shloime wasn't there today? or whatever rules you set up.

luckysunshine

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 5:32 pm
I have a 9 year old and I don't let him cross the street himself yet, so that would be a definite 'no' on the bike.

BrachaBatya

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 5:35 pm
No, too young.

morah

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 5:50 pm
Depends on three factors: does he fully understand cycling safety and will he keep to it? How far is the ride? And is your area accommodating to cyclists/pedestrians? I think the average 9 year is old enough to bike to school if it's not too far or crossing major roads. Some areas are just not good for anyone to travel outside of a car. It's unfortunate, and I hope more places do better transit planning in the coming years so more kids can bike to school (and adults to work, for that matter).

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 6:43 pm
No way in hell!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children