Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
TFE Transcriptions

elmo

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 12:30 am
I'm looking into working for TFE transcriptions from home.
their website sounds very promising but they also ask you to lay out money in order to start ($99). I'd like to speak to someone who does it or tried it out so I can get more info on how it really works out in real-life.
Thanks in advance,
Adina

cityofgold

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 1:28 am
I have two friends who did it. They said that in order to make it worthwhile (for them), you have to be fast, and in order to be fast, you need to spend enough time on it. My friend who wanted to do it for 2-3 hours at night dropped it for that reason.

They also said it takes time to achieve basic proficiency, so you shouldn't expect to be bringing in real income in the beginning.

elmo

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 2:34 am
Thanks! is there any way that you can put me in touch with one of them? I would like to know how they did it.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 11:32 pm
FYI- you don't have to pay anything to start with them. The course is optional, if you'd like to learn the skills. It makes it easier to start and is worth the money, though

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 11:57 pm
As with all pay per hour transcription, you really don't earn very much.

Think of it this way. Any time you don't hear exactly what is said, you have to re-listen again and again to hear it properly - that takes a lot of time. Then write what you hear. Then check for mistakes. It takes ages long than they say, even when you are good at it

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 12:29 am
Any home-based job that doesn't require a lot of schooling will be relatively low on the pay scale. On the other hand, being able to work on your own schedule comes with its own cost benefits.

For example: I once had a home-based job that paid well, but required certain time commitments. That meant that if I ever needed to take a child to the doctor, take care of something in the morning, etc. I needed to find a sub and lost my pay for that time. It also meant that any bills, banking, shopping, errands, etc. had to be done with all my kids there.

When you're good at transcriptions, you also hear things better and faster, by the way. It does need a certain skill set, though and it's not the right thing for everyone.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers