Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Voice Lessons

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 12:50 pm
So I'm starting to give voice lessons ... What do you think people would pay for six weeks of hour long, group voice lessons? Based in Lakewood. Any cute business names would be appreciated too! Thanks in advance.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 3:34 pm
What they are willing to pay has a lot to do with:
1. Your training
2. Your experience
3. How many children are in the group
and
4. The area

With frum girls I would charge $30-$50 for 30-45 minute privates or possibly 2 girls.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 10:41 pm
OP here.

I have years of experience in terms of voice training, but zero experience teaching. I'm not sure how many girls will be in a group, but maximum ten. Thanks!

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 11:27 pm
I would put a max of five until you have more experience teaching. You may well keep or lower that max

If it's real voice lessons in a group, I'd say $25-30.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 11:57 pm
OP.

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it!!!

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 2:50 am
Op it sounds like what you are doing is what ratzon does now. They charge about $16 a class for first class and if there is sibling or your child takes more than one class the price gets cheaper. So one semester I was paying for six classes and I ended up paying $13 a class and each class is an hour long.

If you are doing group lessons and you are brand new I don't think parents would pay more than $12 a class per hour class.

Also ratzin puts up a performance at the end and the girls really learn and only learn from a professional with years of experience and hey have a recording studio and all.

You might even have to go lower to convince parents to send to you over ratzon.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 8:31 am
OP.

hanks for the feedback. However, I've been to Ratzon and know firsthand that the teachers are not all professionals. Either way, I'm going to try my luck and see what happens... I sing in a different style than Malky Giniger and teach that way.

animeme

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 8:54 am
Ratzon's semi-private lessons are more expensive, and five or six girls is pretty similar to that. This year's contract has semi private, max six girls, at $35 for 40 minutes, $45 for an hour.

I would stress personal attention, including a recital at the end where each girl shines and gets quality performance time, something that can be lacking in bigger programs. Once you have your first crop of girls, people will see your style and understand why they might want to come to you.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 8:59 am
OP.

Thank you for the response! Much appreciated.

I plan to start with only six weeks of lessons. Do you think we still need a recital? Thanks.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 9:02 am
You are targeting the Lakewood families right? An average family is looking for two to four daughters for a Sunday program they are not looking to pay $30 an hour for each child. There is no market for expensive here. Also most parents want their child in a social scene too. Ratzon tried being expensive and had to lower their price because they wanted kids and they had the Malky giniger name attached to it.

Parents want their kids out for more than an hour so programs where there is two different classes fill up faster.

Trust me with a lot of daughters I have tried every program in town and parents always call me for advice. I would love if ratzon was a longer program but they themselves said that parents don't want to pay so much they would rather less weeks. With ratzon you are getting real lessons plus a professional performance that makes kids feel like a million dollars. I remember saying I don't care about the performance but you know what the confidence that performance gives to a child is priceless.

I remember my daughter was able to get up on stage in school for something and she was so young and her teachers were so impressed I couldn't take the credit for it ratzon gave her that confidence.

In Lakewood many parents rely on one mother to do the research and everyone else follows.

The gymnastic program is an hour and a half long so mothers do that because they feel that at least it's an hour and a half and not only an hour.

For ten girls in a class no mother is going to pay $30 an hour, never. For private they might but not for group lessons.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 9:07 am
In ratzon in Lakewood and remember Lakewood ratzon is much cheaper than Brooklyn ratzon an hour of private lessons in Lakewood is $60 private. What I have done is split is between my two girls so I paid $30 for half an hour of private for each child where usually half an hour of private is $35.

Ratzon in Lakewood is so much cheaper and a much smaller program. It seems like in Brooklyn they get away with having crazy large classes that in Lakewood I would never send my child to. I would never send to a place where there are 30 girls in a group and crazy prices but for some reason in Brooklyn it's packed.

BrachaBatya

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 7:32 pm
We pay $35 for each of our daughters to have a voice lesson. The lessons are 30 minutes each. They go back to back (one on one lessons) so it's $70 for the hour.

SomeoneNew

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 11:42 am
I would still do a recital even if it's only 6 weeks because it gives you a chance to show the mothers what you've been doing and that your fee is more than worth it. It also gives the girls a chance to gain confidence by doing a performance.

Can't comment on fees because I don't live in Lakewood. (I teach violin and where I live I charge $55/hour for private lessons and that's right in the middle costwise.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children