Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
How to deal with Selective Mutism in front of strangers?

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 3:36 pm
Just got a diagnosis of Selective Mutism for my 4 year old and plan on starting therapy after the chagim.

In the meantime, I was wondering if anybody has any advice of how to deal with the often-occurring situation where an adult tries to speak to him and he doesn't respond. Until now, we would repeat the question to him/ try to encourage him to answer, but now I understand that it's irrelevant to do that. However, I don't want to have to explain to every stranger in the store and every neighbor or friend that we meet that he has Selective Mutism. How do gracefully resolve this situation?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 3:40 pm
I don't think you owe an explanation to anyone unless they are your child's caregiver (like teachers, school staff, etc..)

Just smile and move on, distract or change the conversation if necessary and possible. Any adult that insists on getting a response from a 4-year-old is missing something. Even without SM, a child can be shy, or just not in the mood of responding.

Wishing you Hatzlacha.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers