Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Need quick response

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 9:21 am
Big rally today in DC. I plan on attending. My 9 year old asked if he could come too. Would you bring your 4th grader to something like this? I did ask him why he wants to come- two answers, 1) he will miss school (yay)
2) wants to see what it is all about

youngishbear

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 9:22 am
What is the rally about?

I probably would take a 9 year old. It's an educational experience.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 9:24 am
The rally is about the iran deal- big names are going to be there- ted Cruz, Donald Trump etc.
Lots of organizations involved aas well Young israel OU- Nice to see the achdus!

morah

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 9:34 am
I think yes- he can learn a lot about the political process, the right to assemble, an issue that's important to our community. I would prepare him a little bit- explain in age appropriate terms the situation with Iran, that we have a right in this country to protest when we don't like something the government is doing. Also prepare him for what the scene is going to be like- very crowded, there will be a lot of speeches (which may be boring to him), people cheering/booing like at sports game, signs and chants. Perhaps he can make his own sign to really feel a part of it. Oh, and of course, safety. There are going to be a lot of people there, he needs to stick by you. Perhaps you can borrow an extra phone so he can contact you if you get separated.

youngishbear

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 9:38 am
amother wrote:
The rally is about the iran deal- big names are going to be there- ted Cruz, Donald Trump etc.
Lots of organizations involved aas well Young israel OU- Nice to see the achdus!

In that case for sure. You can nurture a life-long interest in the political process. Experiental learning is the best kind there is.

I second morah's suggestion to prepare him age-appropriately for the background and what to expect at the rally itself.

Barbara

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 9:38 am
--

Last edited by Barbara on Wed, Sep 09 2015, 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 9:55 am
Thanks!!!

animeme

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 10:03 am
When I was in elementary school, there was a huge rally for soviet Jews in Washington. I got sick, but my friends who went never forgot it.

That being said, I would take him if and only if he can tolerate walking a lot, standing a lot, down time, and sticking with you.

Fox

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 12:11 pm
You've obviously already made a decision by this time, OP, and I hope you decided to take your son to the rally.

I want to add just another perspective, though:

I grew up in a town that was home to a large regional university, and it seemed like *everyone* tromped through at one point or another. Musicians, politicians, artists, writers, pop culture thinkers . . . and I went to see them all.

George McGovern, Ted Kennedy, Eugene McCarthy, Hubert Humphrey, Dave Brubeck, Muddy Waters, Count Basie, Louis Armstrong, Tom Wolfe . . . and many more I can't recall off-hand.

It's an incredible experience as a middle-aged adult to read about the roles these people played in their respective fields and think, "Oh, yeah. I remember seeing him when I was a kid!"

Granted, going to a mass event isn't exactly like "I Wanna Be in the Room Where It Happens" from "Hamilton," but it's a still a pretty cool connection with history.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 4:30 pm
op here- so I took him and it was hot and a bit of a walk- but he knew all of that. We got there in time for the star spangled banner- some of the speeches were alittle above him- I told him we would stay until he was ready to leave- well as we were sitting there listening to Ted Cruz, Donal Trump walks by with his entourage of secret police. I think ds thought it was cool that here we are listening to people that could be president.

One thing I did not expect to see and I guess I am just naïve was a large group of chasidish dressed men blocking traffic with big signs shouting Judaism yes Zionism no- so I had to find a non biased way to explain what they were saying(he asked otherwise I think I would have ignored it) By the time we left ds was chanting Judaism yes, Zionism yes- I think it is stuck in his head now-lol!
Thanks for the encouragement to bring him- it was a great experience.

animeme

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 5:06 pm
So glad!

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 5:24 pm
Fox wrote:
You've obviously already made a decision by this time, OP, and I hope you decided to take your son to the rally.

I want to add just another perspective, though:

I grew up in a town that was home to a large regional university, and it seemed like *everyone* tromped through at one point or another. Musicians, politicians, artists, writers, pop culture thinkers . . . and I went to see them all.

George McGovern, Ted Kennedy, Eugene McCarthy, Hubert Humphrey, Dave Brubeck, Muddy Waters, Count Basie, Louis Armstrong, Tom Wolfe . . . and many more I can't recall off-hand.

It's an incredible experience as a middle-aged adult to read about the roles these people played in their respective fields and think, "Oh, yeah. I remember seeing him when I was a kid!"

Granted, going to a mass event isn't exactly like "I Wanna Be in the Room Where It Happens" from "Hamilton," but it's a still a pretty cool connection with history.

I live in a university town and my experience is much the same as yours. (Except I'm soooo jealous of the Brubeck.) When I worked at the university I was appointed to the public lectures committee and got to be a 'handler' for some very interesting people. Some were very humble (Chomsky & Zinn) others so sincere and genuine when making conversation during a long car ride from the airport (Vaclav Havel) and others boorish jerks (Michael Moore).

dimyona

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 7:01 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I live in a university town and my experience is much the same as yours. (Except I'm soooo jealous of the Brubeck.) When I worked at the university I was appointed to the public lectures committee and got to be a 'handler' for some very interesting people. Some were very humble (Chomsky & Zinn) others so sincere and genuine when making conversation during a long car ride from the airport (Vaclav Havel) and others boorish jerks (Michael Moore).

Wait, you actually spoke to Chomsky? I feel starstuck by proxy.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 7:15 pm
dimyona wrote:
Wait, you actually spoke to Chomsky? I feel starstuck by proxy.

Very Happy Yup. The ride back from the airport is almost two hours so there was 4 hours alone in the car with Chomsky and his brain!! Then some receptions and showing him around and such like. We shared our family's immigration stories and how they were tied to social justice issues. (His father was a scholar of Hebrew but had worked in the sweatshops after immigrating and my mother was a sweatshop worker the age of 7.) Such an incredibly charming and humble man.

dimyona

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 7:17 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Very Happy Yup. The ride back from the airport is almost two hours so there was 4 hours alone in the car with Chomsky and his brain!! Then some receptions and showing him around and such like. We shared our family's immigration stories and how they were tied to social justice issues. (His father was a scholar of Hebrew but had worked in the sweatshops after immigrating and my mother was a sweatshop worker the age of 7.) Such an incredibly charming and humble man.

I just watched an interview with him on Netflix. I'll need to pick your brain on this one of these days.

Sadie

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 7:42 pm
dimyona wrote:
I just watched an interview with him on Netflix. I'll need to pick your brain on this one of these days.

Agreed. Magenta, I would love to hear about Howard Zinn. He's one of my heroes. "A People's History of the United States" was my high school US History textbook.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 7:54 pm
Sadie wrote:
Agreed. Magenta, I would love to hear about Howard Zinn. He's one of my heroes. "A People's History of the United States" was my high school US History textbook.

Zinn was just as common and as humble as Chomsky. I have a very long Polish last name and it's a conversation opener for landsmen. So he and I discussed our lives as first generation Americans and how the times we grew up in impacted our world view. (He was over 30 years older than me.)Needless to say every time I got a chance to drive for one of these intellects I had my collection of their books installed in the vehicle so I could get them signed.

I live in a very beautiful state and Vaclav Havel didn't want to travel the freeway so I took county roads back. I think that was the writer in him. It was spring and everything was in bloom. He was good at spotting birds and thrilled to see a bald eagle flying across the road.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics