Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Getting rid of roaches with kids?

miami85

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 10:07 pm
We've been living in our apartment for a number of years now, and only recently have we been having a steady stream of bugs-mostly roaches. We've cleaned, we've sprayed, we've cleaned some more but we can't get rid of them. Especially now with kids, who keep making messes faster than we can clean. We've tried managing the clutter, but with kids in a small apartment, is there anyway to win?

shlomki

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 11:20 pm
Every year when spring comes around so do the roaches. I found that using the roach repellent that looks like a caulk- in a syringe works miracles! I'm just careful that my son doesn't touch/eat it as it has to go on the floor around the edges

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 11:22 pm
Roaches are opportunistic commuters. So if your neighbor treats roaches in their apt. they will commute to another apt. where there is food. If you are in an apt. call the LL and get the whole building treated.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 5:45 am
Are your kids afraid of the roaches? If so, enlist them in taking ownership of the "roach eviction". Tell them that every time they leave a mess, they are laying out a buffet for the roaches, and inviting them in. Get the kids to sweep and mop (even if they are just 3 or so years old. It's the thought that counts.) Start training them to eat only in the kitchen and dining area, so that you don't have to worry about roaches coming into other rooms. "Do you want to wake up with a roach tickling your nose?" LOL

For sure, get your landlord to treat the whole building ASAP. You will possibly have to pay for part of it. Try to get your neighbors to all sign a request for the treatment, and offer to have everyone pitch in their share.

Roaches lay eggs on paper, so if you get paper grocery bags from the store, switch to plastic or bring your own reusable bags. Check your cupboards often to make sure that any cardboard packaging is taken out of the house quickly, and store everything in plastic containers - not plastic bags. Roaches can chew right through thin plastic, but not tupperware.

Lay down the more toxic bait way under all sinks and cabinets, where the kids can't reach it.

Hug BTDT!

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 7:47 am
The roach powder that has boric acid is amazing just keep putting around everyday on the counters by the wall on the floor under the kitchen counters for a few weeks better than exterminator

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 7:41 pm
amother wrote:
The roach powder that has boric acid is amazing just keep putting around everyday on the counters by the wall on the floor under the kitchen counters for a few weeks better than exterminator

DO NOT PUT ROACH POWDER OR BORIC ACID POWDER ON KITCHEN COUNTERS, FOOD PREP AREAS OR ANYWHERE YOUNG CHILDREN CAN GET TO IT. It is more toxic to roaches than to people but it is still toxic to children.

Combat Roach Traps are the best. I started using them when I had babies and have used them ever since. They are not a fast kill, though. (Neither is boric acid.) The bugs enter the traps (really bait stations, as they don't actually trap the bugs) the poison sticks to their bodies and they carry it home to their families. Over time they all die. You still have to watch out that kiddies don't get ahold of the bait stations but you can tuck them away behind and under the fridge, stove, and so on. They come with a few little adhesive squares so you can mount them on vertical surfaces if need be. You replace them every three months.

SorGold

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 7:48 pm
You can use diatomaceous earth powder. It is toxic to the exoskeleton of bugs but is esible for humans. Make SURE you buy food grade and not the one for pools. Also make sure not to inhale it but it is ok to eat. People ingest for pinworms or other parasites.

miami85

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 8:12 pm
So I'm only seeing them in my kitchen and bathroom. There is an exterminator for our building complex, but he comes rather randomly and mostly during the day and for some reason my DH refuses to get him to come spray. We've used a different spray, but doesn't seem to be working. I've heard of using Bay leaves--and tried it, but they are still coming. We are trying so hard, but we can't seem to get our apartment clean enough long enough. I have a baby who is about to start crawling any day now. While my kids are good helpers--some of the time, they aren't good enough to help with all aspects of cleanup--and even when they try it often makes a bigger mess.

fbc

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 8:35 pm
When I first saw the topic of thread, I thought u meant the roaches have kids Wink

WhatFor

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 9:36 pm
fbc wrote:
When I first saw the topic of thread, I thought u meant the roaches have kids Wink

Me too! LOL
I foresaw something like, "DH wants us to call an exterminator but the roaches have kids. I think it's immoral to kill an entire family like that. DH disagrees. He's being so callous! Do I give up my morals and murder entire roach families for the sake of shalom bayis? WWYD?"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics