Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Asking again about Oros Yisroel
1  2  Next

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Sep 04 2015, 3:51 pm
I am posting again to ask if anyone has reliable knowledge about where the school is holding. Not rumors, not speculation, not a self-righteous "Lakewood fix your schools" statement... I need information, if anyone has it. I need to know if they plan on opening soon or not, and if not, what my next step is.
We spoke to the principal and to the Vaad. The principal sounded dejected, but the Vaad sounded more positive. That's all we know right now.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Sep 04 2015, 4:34 pm
This article mentions a girls school being saved from insolvency but doesn't mention the name of the school. Can there be more than one girls school that has gone belly up?

http://www.thelakewoodscoop.co.....11730

mommyla

Post Fri, Sep 04 2015, 4:47 pm
Oros Yisroel is a boys' school.

Sorry, OP, no information from me, but good luck!

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Sep 04 2015, 4:48 pm
this is a boys school, I think for boys who cannot fit into the traditional school setting, some with behavioral issues or aspergers.
There is a very high teacher to student ratio to help.

It serves and important need and I hope it can get started soon.

I'm really sorry OP.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Sep 04 2015, 4:51 pm
Oh I didn't realize the headline was incorrect.

amother
Brown

Post Sat, Sep 05 2015, 10:22 pm
http://www.thelakewoodscoop.co......html

So Sad. I supervised a professional who worked there, and was really impressed by the school.

naturalmom5

Post Sat, Sep 05 2015, 10:28 pm
That's Lakewood

amother
Sienna

Post Sat, Sep 05 2015, 11:19 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
That's Lakewood

I knew I could count on naturalmom5 for a helpful response

amother
Khaki

Post Sat, Sep 05 2015, 11:38 pm
Lakewood bashing aside,

I for one don't believe that Oros Yisroel will disband completely. It will probably not reopen until after sukkos though, and I would hire a private tutor for my son until then. There are many talented private melamdim who can teach your son. Actually you can probably get an Oros Yisrael rebbe. Most parents wait until after the yomim tovim to hire so you can probably find someone for now without committing to the whole year.

You have to remember that with the new state monitor, the BOE has had great difficulty distributing funds that a school like Oros Yisrael relies on. Until that is sorted out or another reliable funding source can be developed they can't open. But I am sure that the dedicated askonim who built this school won't give up if there is at all any reasonable option.

amother
Natural

Post Sat, Sep 05 2015, 11:42 pm
can the kids switch to SCHI?

What is the difference in the schools?

12rivkyk34

Post Sat, Sep 05 2015, 11:55 pm
There are some students who came from SCHI because they were ready to move on. It would be sad to see them go back. SCHI is not a behavioral school and many of these students weren't in SCHI because they were never delayed, rather behavioral. They don't belong there. Oros Yisroel has a special niche & there is a strong need for it to stay open...

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 12:12 am
Forget R' Rechnitz for a minute.
Lakewood has no shortage of wealthy individuals.
My son was so excited to start school... I'm in pieces.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 9:34 pm
Op within two weeks this school will be opened they are delaying opening to force people to give them money.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 11:13 pm
amother wrote:
Op within two weeks this school will be opened they are delaying opening to force people to give them money.

I hope you're right. But how do you know this?
PS they can't "force" anybody to give them anything.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 12:42 am
Because they are not closing down its just a tactic to get some wealthy people in town to promise them money every month.

Any parents in their school sending their child elsewhere? No everyone is waiting for them to reopen if they weren't reopening parents would be looking to go elsewhere.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 1:23 am
amother wrote:
Because they are not closing down its just a tactic to get some wealthy people in town to promise them money every month.

Any parents in their school sending their child elsewhere? No everyone is waiting for them to reopen if they weren't reopening parents would be looking to go elsewhere.

Because our boys have issues. There IS no where else to send them.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 2:44 am
Brain builders opened up a program like this and they take insurance. But don't worry it is going to be reopened.

What do parents of girls with issues do where do the girls go to?

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 7:38 am
amother wrote:
Brain builders opened up a program like this and they take insurance. But don't worry it is going to be reopened.

What do parents of girls with issues do where do the girls go to?

No, Brainbuilders is not a program like this, although they are fantastic. They are a therapy center. They recently opened a preschool called Building Bridges. But that's up until age 5.

Where do girls go? I don't know. Rabbi Kanarek opened up Oros Yisroel originally for children like his son. I guess there isn't as much of a demand for girls with these types of issues, or maybe there is. My heart goes out to those parents.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 10:02 am
OP how are you?
any updates about the school opening?
my nephew went there for a number of years but
now he is in 9th grade.
I hope it opens up soon.
what about Mekor Hachinuch?
good luck

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 11:24 am
amother wrote:
OP how are you?
any updates about the school opening?
my nephew went there for a number of years but
now he is in 9th grade.
I hope it opens up soon.
what about Mekor Hachinuch?
good luck

Thanks for asking.
My son is with a group of boys from the school, learning in the morning with a Rebbe hired for this duration.
I don't know details but we were told that progress is being made toward resolving the situation.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics