Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Do you think university teachers

hannah22

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 3:30 pm
Look up their students on facebook

cnc

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 3:35 pm
No.
I think they have better things to do with their time.

OOTforlife

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 3:38 pm
I'm sure some professors do it to some students. But I think there are very few professors who run through their entire roster looking each person up.

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 8:38 pm
But I KNOW prospective employers look up job applicants on FB and other social media. be careful what you post; it could cost you a job some day.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 8:49 pm
Not only do prospective employers look people up on FB but major businesses look up references on FB and LI.

morah

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 8:53 pm
Some probably do. But college admissions staff definitely do and it does impact decisions; in really egregious cases, offers have been rescinded. And as zaq pointed out, same is true of employers.

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 8:55 pm
So do lawyers look up people who are suing their clients.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 8:59 pm
zaq wrote:

Yup.

Amarante

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 9:02 pm
Lawyers or anyone with a reason would definitely use google to research people or places. Why not because it is just an additional tool,for being informed.

As a rule, I don't think professors have any need to know hidden aspects of their students unless there is some reason such as considering them for a research position but then they are acting as a prospective employer.

sourstix

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 9:14 pm
what is LI? and what if I dont have a fb account?

Amarante

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 9:17 pm
sourstix wrote:
what is LI? and what if I dont have a fb account?

LinkedIn.

There is generally not a problem with LI because almost everyone uses it for professional purposes so is unlikely to post compromising photos or controversial stuff that might come back to haunt them.

A lot of kids didn't realize that it might not be a great idea to have every youthful foible on the web for eternity.

morah

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 9:29 pm
zaq wrote:

I've heard about that, and honestly think it's gotten out of hand. I mean, ok, if you're suing over a back injury and showing up to court in a wheelchair and you get busted posting pictures of your latest ski trip, then yeah, you deserve to be called out on that. But it's also turned into a ridiculous game of gotcha because you posted smiling pictures of yourself enjoying a glass of champagne at your sister's wedding and therefore the harm you suffered can't possibly be as bad as you say it is. I mean there has to be some middle ground and acknowledgment that you can suffer a significantly diminished quality of life due to some grievous harm, but that doesn't mean you can never have a happy moment ever again (and the converse- the ability to enjoy yourself does not mean your overall quality of life hasn't suffered significantly).

yenny

Post Fri, Sep 11 2015, 3:43 pm
Dh had an employee that posted the following
on fb
" Its great having a boss who lives out of state ,I get long lunch breaks"

Forrealx

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 6:14 pm
I'm friends with my professor ritual studies! I'm still a student btw, DH is getting his Phd and I'm in a premaster. But hey, he is a cool lad.

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 7:07 pm
Forrealx wrote:
I'm friends with my professor ritual studies! I'm still a student btw, DH is getting his Phd and I'm in a premaster. But hey, he is a cool lad.

And?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics