Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Summer's end

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 10:32 pm
I'm sure going to miss the sounds of kids playing outside when summer is over and the rains come. They are so much fun to listen to and they play so hard. There are three across the creek from me and they play on their own after school and then when their father gets home he and the mom are out there with them. Loud raucous games and imaginary play. Today it was Swiss Family Robinson. It just makes me smile.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 10:39 pm
I hear you. I love to watch the neighborhood kids play together using their imagination and being active too.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 11:03 pm
And boom, it's like the cone of silence has descended at 7:15, it's quiet again. The Swiss Family Robinson thing was hysterical. The trampoline was their ship getting tossed about in a storm and the swing set was named 'beach camp' by the 6 yo. It's pretty obvious the parents have been reading Stevenson to them.

seeker

Post Fri, Sep 18 2015, 1:39 am
I am NOT going to miss the noise. My window is right over a playground with a water feature and the acoustics are terrible - when you're in the playground with the water running, you can barely hear the person next to you and have to shout any time you REALLY need your kids to hear you. Never mind the kids - something about water seems to flip their shrieking switch on. But the sound apparently doesn't disappear into the water - it goes straight up and bounces around between the surrounding buildings so it comes through our windows intensified.

But I will definitely miss that freedom and fun, being able to spend all afternoon out with the kids, not worrying about when to get back because it doesn't really matter if you're late to day camp (or, for half the summer, we didn't have any place to be) but in school it's a pressure, we need to be indoors ready for supper by 6. When you get home at 4 and need snacks and drinks and bathrooms and backpack checks, that doesn't leave much. I expect it gets worse every year... we haven't really hit homework yet...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics