Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Beef chuck deckel- is that cornbeef?

happy mommy6

Post Fri, Sep 18 2015, 11:04 am
I have a beef chuck deckel. is that corn beef? how do I prepare? tia

pesek zman

Post Fri, Sep 18 2015, 11:05 am
no. it's not corn beef

seeker

Post Fri, Sep 18 2015, 11:16 am
It's a great cut of meat.
Corned beef means it has been pickled. If it doesn't say pickled or corned beef, then it isn't. Corned beef can be made out of many different cuts of meat, so you might see in the store "corned beef deckel" or "corned beef kolichel" or "corned beef something else because seeker never gets her names straight." You will also see all the same things without the corned beef part because it is the same cut of meat that hasn't been pickled.

A friend once gave me a really easy way to prepare that came out delicious but of course I can't find it in my recipe file (smh). I think it went something like this:
Slice up a lot of onion.
I don't remember whether to put the onion in the pot before or after the meat but you really never go wrong if you start with sauteed onions so I'm going to say put a bit of oil in a large pot and fry them on medium heat for a few minutes.
Sear the meat on both sides. I.e. make the pot really hot and sizzle the meat on each side until the outside of the meat is brown.
Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper - don't overdo it, kosher meat is already salted and the point is just to enhance the flavor, not to taste like pepper.
Scoop a bunch of the onions up over the meat.
Splash some wine on it. I'm sure the original recipe recommended some specific type of wine but I am not the type to own more than one wine at a time. I use whatever my husband had for kiddush last.
Cover and simmer on a low flame for a long time. How much time depends on your particular meat. Maybe turn it over at some point. I'd say stick a fork in it after two hours. If it feels like it might be getting soft, then check on it again in a half hour; if it feels like it hasn't cooked at all then give it another couple of hours.

happy mommy6

Post Fri, Sep 18 2015, 6:34 pm
Thanks seeker fir your help! Will try!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics