Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Selling diamond in ring and substituting CZ

mandksima

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 4:26 am
I don't wear my ring much (I never found rings comfortable in general) and we could really use the cash. My dh would feel terrible about me selling it altogether as would my MIL so I was thinking of bringing it to a jeweler to have the stone replaced with CZ and keep the setting. We have insurance on it as well which I would have to adjust. Anyone do this? Where can I get the best price in Israel? Anyone have another recommendation?

PAMOM

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 7:12 am
See how much you'd get for it before you move ahead. You won't get what its actual value is since there's a jeweker also involved who needs to make a profit.

water_bear88

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 7:17 am
Everything I've read about diamonds says the business is basically a cartel. Dealers pay waaaaaay less than they sell for in order to keep prices artificially high. You can certainly try getting it appraised, but you're probably better off trying to find another source of income.

I'm sorry you're in these financial straits, and hope this year brings you better parnassah!

mandksima

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 7:22 am
Thanks, I sure hope this year is better but it seems like such a waste to me to keep and pay insurance on it if I wouldn't mind a fake stone. The money wouldn't go far but would be a little buffer to pay our bills. It was appraised at $6KK originally but that was 17 years ago. I think I will ask in the local jeweler here to see how much they would give.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics