Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
BYA - Detailed info please!!

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 9:52 am
Hi! I'm finally at the stage of applying to schools for my oldest daughter. I live in Flatbush and have asked around about BYA. Everyone I asked said it's a good school, but noone was raving about it or seemed really impressed by the school.
I'm looking for a warm school that instills middos into the children and doesn't put all the focus on academics. We are yeshivish open-minded. Would BYA fit this description?
Please tell me your experience with this school. TIA

gp2.0

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 10:02 am
Lev Bais Yaakov sounds like the perfect fit for you.

doctorima

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 11:25 am
I second Lev. BYA is known for its focus on academics, and for being really hard to get into.

fluffernutter

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 11:40 am
I don't think BYA is as hard to get into anymore since there are so many other seminaries trying to get the same girls.

I think that what you are describing sounds like Keser Chaya could be the right fit. Also, there are a lot of new seminaries this year, so one of them might be right (Bnos Batsheva?) but I don't know much about them.

israelgirl

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 11:46 am
BYA sounds like exactly what you are looking for. Of course there are more and newer ones that fit that description as well, but if you want one that's been around, BYA is the way to go.

Def doesn't focus on acedemics as a previous amother said.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 11:51 am
Op here. thanks for your responses. I'm referring to the elementary school, not the seminary, sorry for the confusion.
I've heard great things about Lev. I'm just worried about the types of families that send there. Are they good quality torah families? We are openminded, but definitely associate with more yeshivish families. Does anyone know about the parent body there?
TIA

israelgirl

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 12:18 pm
Smile I was WONDERING why someone was busy with sems so soon in the year.

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Sep 11 2015, 9:08 am
Anyone with specifics about BYA?

gp2.0

Post Fri, Sep 11 2015, 9:26 am
amother wrote:
Op here. thanks for your responses. I'm referring to the elementary school, not the seminary, sorry for the confusion.
I've heard great things about Lev. I'm just worried about the types of families that send there. Are they good quality torah families? We are openminded, but definitely associate with more yeshivish families. Does anyone know about the parent body there?
TIA

The parent body is very similar to how you describe yourself. There's definitely a mix (which personally I think is a good thing) but the majority are open minded JPF. There are some open minded yeshivish, some open minded heimish, probably a little bit of whatever other label you can think of, but everyone is friendly and accepting. The people who choose lev over any other school are people who are purposely choosing a warm atmosphere over academics. That is not to say their academics are below par, rather that they don't give the children endless busywork and homework. A warm atmosphere that encourages the child instead of a cold atmosphere that pushes the child goes much further imo.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Sep 11 2015, 10:00 am
I have a friend who teaches in BYA. She says the level of education is very high but the bain adam l'chavero among the girls is bad. She says there's a certain attitude that b/c they learn so much, they are snobby and not pleasant middos. She was contemplating leaving her job only due to that it bothered her to see 3rd or 5th (don't remember exactly which age) graders who knew to "hold" of themselves so much.

Twizzlers

Post Fri, Sep 11 2015, 10:02 am
BYA was one of my choices for my daughter last year. However, if neither you or your sister in laws have gone to the school, dont even bother applying. Been there, done that.
They were quite rude on the phone as well when I just wanted to confirm that they even received my application since I hadnt heard anything from them

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Sep 11 2015, 10:26 am
Twizzlers, where did you end up sending?

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 1:15 pm
Anyone else with helpful info about the school?

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 12:07 am
Bump, it's getting closer to application time...

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 12:11 am
What about Bais Yaakov Reb Meir

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 12:26 pm
New amother here. My daughter is only in Pre-1A, so I don't have the right to say very much, but so far, we are very happy with BYA. The school seems warm enough to me (teachers are very loving, principal knows everyone's name and greets them with it) and the girls (and parent body) in DD's class are lovely. OTOH, it is known for its high level of academics, and while I don't see that as a necessary contradiction to instilling middos, if this is something that you don't want, I'd consider a different school.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics