Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Easy Lemon Challah Souffle

Amarante

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 1:37 pm
Lemon Challah Souffle

Source: Food and Wine Magazine - Michael Symon

This isn’t the kind of stressful soufflé you have to prepare at the last minute and serve immediately. Instead, it’s more like bread pudding, a mix of challah bread cubes with lemony custard that can be made ahead of time and served hot or warm.

I've included both the original dairy version as well as the tweaked parve version.

This is not super sweet so it could be a side dish for the right menu in the same way that lokshen kugel or candied sweet potatoes are served as a side.

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
4 large egg yolks
1 large egg
2 cups vanilla soymilk
3/4 cup plus 1-1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar, plus more for dusting
2 tablespoons unsalted margarine, softened
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
4 cups 1/2-inch-cubed challah (1/2 pound)
6 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

In a small bowl, whisk the flour and cornstarch. In a large heatproof bowl, whisk the egg yolks and whole egg with 3/4 cup of the soymilk and three-fourths of the flour-cornstarch mixture until smooth. Gradually whisk in the remaining flour mixture until smooth.

In a medium saucepan, combine the remaining 1 1/4 cups of soymilk with 1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar and bring to a boil, whisking. Slowly pour the hot soymilk into the egg mixture and whisk constantly until smooth. Whisk in the margarine until melted. Add the lemon juice and zest and fold in the challah. Refrigerate until cooled.

Preheat the oven to 375° and grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Dust with granulated sugar, tapping out the excess.

In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a whisk, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar in a steady stream and beat at high speed until the whites are firm and glossy. Fold the meringue into the challah custard until no streaks of white remain. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.

Bake the soufflé in the center of the oven until risen and golden, about 45 minutes. Let rest for 10 to 30 minutes. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve.

INGREDIENTS

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
4 large egg yolks
1 large egg
2 cups whole milk
3/4 cup plus 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar, plus more for dusting
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
4 cups 1/2-inch-cubed challah (1/2 pound)
6 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

In a small bowl, whisk the flour and cornstarch. In a large heatproof bowl, whisk the egg yolks and whole egg with 3/4 cup of the milk and three-fourths of the flour-cornstarch mixture until smooth. Gradually whisk in the remaining flour mixture until smooth.

In a medium saucepan, combine the remaining 1 1/4 cups of milk with 1 1/2 teaspoons of the granulated sugar and bring to a boil, whisking. Slowly pour the hot milk into the egg mixture and whisk constantly until smooth. Whisk in the butter until melted. Add the lemon juice and zest and fold in the challah. Refrigerate until cooled.

Preheat the oven to 375° and butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Dust with granulated sugar, tapping out the excess.

In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a whisk, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining 3/4 cup of granulated sugar in a steady stream and beat at high speed until the whites are firm and glossy.

Fold the meringue into the challah custard until no streaks of white remain. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.

Bake the soufflé in the center of the oven until risen and golden, about 45 minutes. Let rest for 10 to 30 minutes. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve.

MAKE AHEAD

The soufflé can be prepared up to 2 hours before baking; let stand at room temperature.

Last edited by Amarante on Sun, Sep 20 2015, 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

cbsp

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 1:47 pm
It sounds yum. I'm just trying to figure out which part of the recipe is "easy" Very Happy

Amarante

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 1:53 pm
ETA - When I first saw the recipe, I thought EEK, this is complicated but then I read it more carefully and realized that there were essentially two pretty straightforward steps - and since it isn't time sensitive, I could prep and divide the work if need be. Also, the original recipe says you can prepare before hand and hold for two hours before baking.

Honestly it looks harder than it is because you don't have to worry about the soufflé rising and falling so it is more like a strata. Also, timing isn't critical because you can prep ahead of time and it doesn't have to be served immediately like a real soufflé.

So it's relatively easy and is much more impressive at the end than the work and skill needed. Also, you could serve with a relatively plain main protein. I was thinking fish because of the lemon flavors or as a dessert also and guests will think you worked much harder.

You prepare the custard portion on the stove way before since it needs to be chilled.

For me, I have problems with stuff that needs a lot of attention right before serving especially for company type of meals because I am pulled in so many directions so I try to prepare stuff which doesn't require a lot of attention at that point.

For me, it was easy as compared to other more stressful stuff I could have made and people were impressed. I generally avoid cakes with egg whites beaten separately but this wasn't bad because I had prepared the custard part in the morning and so the final prep wasn't that time consuming.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics