Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Left over chicken soup

rochelitas mom

Post Fri, Sep 18 2015, 6:26 am
Help! I froze 3 portions of chicken soup from yom tov. I now need 5 portions for shabbos. How can I extend it so I don't have to make another soup? Question Question

PAMOM

Post Fri, Sep 18 2015, 6:32 am
Cook noodles or rice separately and then add. If you use chicken flavored cubes, you could add them to the water you use for rice. You can also add sautéed veghies if you prefer.

imasinger

Post Fri, Sep 18 2015, 6:45 am
Soups do best when you save the old then add enough to freshen it up.

Add enough water, plus another 1/2 cup, a slice of onion, a crushed clove of garlic, some carrot pieces, and 1/2 a peeled, sliced summer squash. Salt and spice to taste. If you happen to have any bones or leftover chicken, you can throw that in, too. Boil covered for a while.

For extra flavor, when carrots are soft, mash a couple with a fork and stir.

Bitachon101

Post Fri, Sep 18 2015, 10:24 am
Hmm, I froze the veggies from my soup in a separate bag.... Are this still usable? Or should I just chuck and get new veg in there?

zaq

Post Fri, Sep 18 2015, 4:57 pm
You can't really make new broth from the old veggies but no reason not to put the old veggies back in the old soup to add volume. It's no different than freezing chicken-veggie soup as is. Unless, of course, you used grade Z veggie part (Peels, trimmings, etc.) just for flavor and they can't be eaten in the soup, in which case why did you freeze them?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 2:02 pm
What did you end up doing?
I have added a piece of raw chicken, more water, vegetables and seasonings and cook up. Still easier than cooking up a new soup for a while.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics