Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
About lost and found

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 1:00 pm
Hi all
My son will be 5 soon. And I noticed he takes things he finds . For example something he see on floor in school he will put in his backpack instead of taking it to the Morah . Things like that.. He doesn't take anything out of anyone's possessions. But he doesn't maybe understand the concept of lost and found.. What can I do to teAch him.. A good book? About hashavas aveida perhaps? Any suggestions?
I just dnt want this to develop any further or into actual stealing!
Thanks!!

5*Mom

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 1:15 pm
You can make up your own story about a little boy who lost something and how sad he felt about that, and how another little boy found it and returned it and how happy he felt about that. Then you can explain what we do when we find something that we know does not belong to us and specifically what he should do if he finds something on the floor in school, at the supermarket, doctor's office, at home...

myname1

Post Fri, Sep 11 2015, 6:49 am
A friend of mine had a nice book about it- I think about a little boy who found another boy's hat at the zoo, and goes looking for the owner and asks for simanim. It ends something like "Yes, I did, it was purple and new, hashevas aveida, what a mitzvah for you!" I think it was called "Moshe Finds a Mitzvah," or something like that. Let me know if you're interested, and if nobody else knows, I'll try to find out the name.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Sep 13 2015, 3:48 pm
myname1 wrote:
A friend of mine had a nice book about it- I think about a little boy who found another boy's hat at the zoo, and goes looking for the owner and asks for simanim. It ends something like "Yes, I did, it was purple and new, hashevas aveida, what a mitzvah for you!" I think it was called "Moshe Finds a Mitzvah," or something like that. Let me know if you're interested, and if nobody else knows, I'll try to find out the name.

Yes I'd love to know the name of the book plz!
I knw there is a book called Sarah finds a mitzvah, I wasn't to impressed by it though..

5mom

Post Tue, Sep 15 2015, 2:23 pm
One Little Chicken, by Elka Weber, available on Amazon. It's a retelling of a story in the gemara.

Shuly

Post Tue, Sep 15 2015, 3:37 pm
It's totally age appropriate and be careful not to call him on it.
Don't make him think in his mind that he is a "stealer."
If you read him the books, it should be very general and not personal at all.
He will grow out of this!

myname1

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 3:51 am
amother wrote:
Yes I'd love to know the name of the book plz!
I knw there is a book called Sarah finds a mitzvah, I wasn't to impressed by it though..

This one is My Very Own Mitzvah- by Gadi Pollack.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics