Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Are all airlines to Israel safe?

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 8:25 am
Cheapest flights to Israel currently are on Royal Jordanian or Turkish Airways. Are these safe? Stops in Imman vs Istanbul. Would you take one of these flights?

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 8:39 am
No way! El Al is still the safest airline in the world - and you'll be supporting the Israeli economy, not the enemy.

PAMOM

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 9:12 am
Turkish Air is one of the most highly rated in the world (safety and service). I flew them twice recently and was treated kindly and with care both times. I had trouble with my leg going through the gate and the airline agent jumped around, picked up my carryon, sbd said, "Let me help you, mother." He then carried the bag on and gave it to a flight attendant. There were a number of visibly religious men and Israeli secular and religious passengers, all of whom were greeted politely. The flight was very uneventful.

etky

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 9:29 am
PAMOM wrote:
Turkish Air is one of the most highly rated in the world (safety and service). I flew them twice recently and was treated kindly and with care both times. I had trouble with my leg going through the gate and the airline agent jumped around, picked up my carryon, sbd said, "Let me help you, mother." He then carried the bag on and gave it to a flight attendant. There were a number of visibly religious men and Israeli secular and religious passengers, all of whom were greeted politely. The flight was very uneventful.

Turkish Airlines isn't the problem. It's a great airline. The problem is Turkey and the ever shifting and fluid political situation in the Middle East. Chances are your transit in Istanbul will be totally uneventful but go know. Not for nothing Israelis cancelled their reservations on Turkish en masse during the war the summer before last. Right now the security situation in Israel is the shakiest it's been since the conclusion of that war.
Royal Jordanian is a smaller operation than Turkish. It's a decent airline with a really modern fleet. I would be even more cautious about transiting in Amman than in Istanbul however.

m in Israel

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 10:05 am
If you are talking about travel between NY and Israel, Iberia Airlines currently has fares even cheaper than Turkish Airways over the past few days. Check on their website directly rather than expedia or travelocity. A stopover in Spain is probably less risky than Turkey or Jordan, too, although Iberia is notorious for always running late, so I would NOT suggest a flight landing Erev Shabbos.

DrMom

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 10:18 am
Personally, I'd prefer not to fly flagship airlines of countries whose governments promote anti-Israeli policies.

(Although I guess these days that would include US airlines as well... although US airlines are not govt-owned...)

grace413

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 11:24 am
It's bad enough that I have sold my soul to the devil by agreeing to fly on Austrian (due to DH's frequent flyer miles) but nothing would get me on Turkish or RJ.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 1:48 pm
grace413 wrote:
It's bad enough that I have sold my soul to the devil by agreeing to fly on Austrian (due to DH's frequent flyer miles) but nothing would get me on Turkish or RJ.

Having flown a good number of airlines, it seems clear to me that the devil owns shares of all of them and has other interests in the transportation field as well.

m in Israel

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 2:28 am
Alitalia has excellent fares right now, too. (Under $700 for many dates)

dilego

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 2:56 am
Alitalia have gone bankrupt before and had flights cancelled.Turkish has apparantly a very good service but u wont get me there, noooooo way I dont like the idea of having a stopover in an enemy country.sorry
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics