Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Los Angeles, CA chassidish community

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 12:12 pm
Im looking to relocate and ive been hearing very good things about LA.
I just had a few questions regarding the following.
How much does it cost to live there? Is it way more than NY? Im looking into a 2-3 bdrm apt. (Renting for now)
What about schools? I hear there is one called Cheder... is it a good school? What is the tuition like?
Are there a lot of chassidish people there? Do they all live in the same place? (Not that it makes a difference, just wondering what type they r)
And last the moving expenses... about how much should I consider?
Any more info would be very helpful.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 12:43 pm
Cost of living is very high.
2 bedroom $2000-3000. 3 bedroom $3000-4000.
Tuition about 10,000.
Food very expensive.
Cheder is pretty good but not strictly chassidish, also has yeshivish, sefardim
chassidishe generally live in same area (hancock park)
Cost of moving $5000- 10,000.
I don't mean to dissuade you, but you have to really figure out your finances well before.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 9:53 am
Thanks powderblue. Just one question, tuition is 10k a month?

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 10:10 am
While cost of living in some ways is higher, if you are willing to live slightly outside the imaginary lines (many are) prices are much lower. You wont have to buy winter coats, boots, gloves etc. or have much of a heating bill. You will need fans, a/c etc. you need a car.

Do you want a luxury apartment? Duplex? Then that would be the prices quoted before. I have a 2 bedroom under 2,000. It isn't gorgeous but it is decent and is home. You just have to keep looking. But yeah, housing is crazy here. That's the biggest cost of food. I don't see that food is much more than NY.
Also look in Pico- more chassidim are moving that way. There is a new shtieble.
Do you have boys or girls? Cheder is ok, not great academics but is much stricter frumkeit wise. Boys learn in Yiddish I believe. You won't find a tv etc in those homes. They have their own high schools too but many girls go to the BYLA. But a child whose father wears a streimel won't be "stared at" at Toras Emes elementary school either. Slightly better academics, bigger school hence more carpools available.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 11:14 am
I am from LA originally and while I haven't been there in around five years, there are some very fine chassidishe families there. They live within walking distance to each other. The shtiebel has people from many different chassidusin.
It is not like Boro Park where you have so many conviniences for Yiddishe life, and inevitably you will have interactions with people, even in the cheder for boys and bais tzivia, the cheder school for girls, who, are not makpid to eat only heimishe hechsheirim, etc.
but it is a very nice community, people are very friendly

mamma2b

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 2:42 pm
seriously? 10k a month? what do you think? Do you really think a school can charge that much?
Do the math urself!
Such a move is life changing-so you'll have to speak to some real chassidsh locals before making this decision!!
Hatzlacha

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 3:06 pm
LA has a lot to offer. I lived in NY and LA.... Food is about the same. Housing is NOT 3-4,000 a month. That's for luxury apartments. Expect closer to 2-3,000 for a 3 bedroom. Pico is usually cheaper and has more apartments available. There is a chassidish shul in Pico but here in LA it is not strange to go to "regular/yeshivish" Shuls and see a streimel.
La Brea has fewer apartments but more chassidish life- a chassidish Kollel, more chassidim around etc. apartments will be more here but will probably resemble flats than an actual apartment building.

You probably would feel comfortable at Toras Emes (separate boys and girls divisions), yeshiva Gedola (high school for boys), BYLA (high school for girls) or the chassidish schools: cheder (boys), Bais tzivia (girls elementary), Bnos Esther (girls high school). There are lots more schools in LA but these are probably more up your alley.

You need a car... Very hard to get around without one. We have buses but they aren't super commonly used. I have and hated it.

Whoever says we don't have "yiddishe conveniences" doesn't know where to look. It will be more than 5 minutes walking but we have tons. We are #2 in American Jewish communities for a reason. What do you want in a community? If you never want to see someone not in chassideshe garb, then go somewhere else. We have a diverse community and a number of different schools for different types (MO, yeshivish, sefardi, chassidish, Chabad, etc and in between with varied academic levels...).
But we are a welcoming, friendly community with tons to offer.

tichellady

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 8:02 pm
I really don't think it's possible to get a 3 bedroom apartment for under $3k in the Pico-Robertson area. Most of the two bedrooms that people get around here are $2000- $2500 and I am not talking about luxury buildings. Prices have been rising lately. Anything that's a great deal probably has a mold problem or something else that the landlord is trying to hide.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 8:27 pm
tichellady wrote:
I really don't think it's possible to get a 3 bedroom apartment for under $3k in the Pico-Robertson area. Most of the two bedrooms that people get around here are $2000- $2500 and I am not talking about luxury buildings. Prices have been rising lately. Anything that's a great deal probably has a mold problem or something else that the landlord is trying to hide.

I live in a 2 bedroom for under 2. Only got it a few years ago. Look on westside rentals... Saw other 2 bedrooms for $2,000 and under.
But I actually knew of one 3 BR for less than 3 that was for rent. Almost got it but had personal and financial issues that resolved only after it was rented. And no mold.
But it all depends on if you want a washer in unit, underground parking spots, security/ gated building.... Those add up and may constitute a luxury building... Or at least what is advertised as "luxury".

Best bet is drive around and look for signs.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 7:23 am
Brown, a chassidishe family coming from Brooklyn (I'm assuming) will probably want to live in Hancock Park (where there are NO 3 bedroom apts for less than 3000), will definitely want an apt. with washer/dryer hookup, will want a kosher kitchen with 2 separate sinks (which is unlikely unless youre renting from a frum person maybe), will surely send to the chassidishe cheder, will probably want to buy only heimishe hechsherim (which is definitely more expensive than in NY).
She should also be aware that there are no lunches served, and no bus transportation in schools.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 5:35 pm
Sorry to hijack your post op, I'm also dying to move there.
Anyone chassisish there that would be willing to give me her contact details so I can ask some info?

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 6:37 pm
amother wrote:
Brown, a chassidishe family coming from Brooklyn (I'm assuming) will probably want to live in Hancock Park (where there are NO 3 bedroom apts for less than 3000), will definitely want an apt. with washer/dryer hookup, will want a kosher kitchen with 2 separate sinks (which is unlikely unless youre renting from a frum person maybe), will surely send to the chassidishe cheder, will probably want to buy only heimishe hechsherim (which is definitely more expensive than in NY).
She should also be aware that there are no lunches served, and no bus transportation in schools.

Just saw this now. Sorry for not responding before... FYI I have lived here a long time. By now, longer than I have lived anywhere else.

Well, no school here has bussing or lunches as part of tuition, so wanting that won't help things.
Almost no apartment has 2 sinks. We make due. There are side by side sinks and we just cover the side not in use if necessary.
The cheder is the chassidish school, however girls who go to Bais tzivia (girls elementary for cheder) often go to BYLA for high school. Just a fact. I know many personally.

Many families don't have a washer/dryer here. Since landlords pay for water here, they don't want to put in one in a unit- people use them more when it's there and don't pay per load. Plus they will have to fix water damage. So we have a laundry room. Or we go to a laundromat.

About Hancock Park/Pico, many are now moving to Pico. We have the chassidish shtieble that's growing, and since it's cheaper....

And heimishe hechsherim are found in many grocery stores. So many here only eat those.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 8:29 pm
amother wrote:
Sorry to hijack your post op, I'm also dying to move there.
Anyone chassisish there that would be willing to give me her contact details so I can ask some info?

Many (if not most) in the community don't have internet... So they either aren't on here or won't want to reveal themselves IRL.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 8:34 pm
amother wrote:
Many (if not most) in the community don't have internet... So they either aren't on here or won't want to reveal themselves IRL.

So... How can I find out more?

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Oct 08 2015, 7:57 am
amother wrote:
So... How can I find out more?

Ask on here.

Definitely visit- and make connections through that. Your impressions on feasibility will be the most important factor. What works for your family etc... Another amother on here said that to her, school bussing and lunches is super important. No school offers it standard (a few you can pay extra but you wouldn't send there likely) so she might not move here. But then you're pretty much stuck in NY. Do you NEED x, y, or z or is it a "nice thing"? Only you can answer that.

Maybe Call up the Cheder and ask to get connected to a parent. Plus Talk to the head of the cheder.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Oct 08 2015, 1:55 pm
where can I find out about jobs? my dh works in administration feild

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Oct 08 2015, 2:22 pm
For jobs, if you *must* work in a frum company call the schools or network. I don't know offhand but working for frum companies may not get you a high enough salary to live here. (Many families have both parents working at least part time). But do check out secular companies if your husband speaks English. The online job sites are good resources: indeed, monster, career builder, zip recruiter etc.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Oct 08 2015, 2:53 pm
I am not chassidish but I do live in la and I just want to make sure you know that while rent is somewhat affordable here ( not cheap but not crazy), buying a home here is crazy expensive. If it's important to you to own a home and you don't have family money or two great salaries it's probably not going to be feasible. I do love living here but am worrying about what we will do when we feel ready to own a home.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating