Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
(for kid) Navy shoes with black wardrobe?

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 2:56 am
How bad is that?

We finally did shoe shopping, a bit too late in the season. Found a shoe that: seems good quality, shoe fitter says fits well (this is a big issue for us), child felt comfortable in, child approved of, and (barely) fit the budget (which I'd set based more on the market prices than on what I can actually afford...) But they only had her size in navy. The display had one in a different beautiful color that would have gone great with every single dingle thing she owns but they didn't have any left in her size and I foolishly actually cared enough to call four other shoe stores and look all over the internet but don't see the same thing in the other color anywhere. Sigh.

Her uniform is a plaid that has black, white, gray, and BRIGHT blue - no navy. For some reason I thought navy would go ok with this so I bought some navy socks. I have since realized that this was an error and black socks look much better. And patterned socks are a bit of a disaster with the plaid.

Her Shabbos/yomtov clothes for the upcoming season (these are going to be all-purpose shoes. They are nice enough. I am not buying separate Shabbos shoes until either she stays the same size all year or at least 70% of her friends have them, by MY estimation not hers...) have a lot of black/gray. I didn't choose it, they were mostly hand-me-downs, and that's what we got.

Both the uniform and the shabbos clothes would look soooooo nice with that great burgundy color that they didn't have in her size but I so need to let go of that thought. There was another option that fit her very well and was comfortable and in our price range that was a different color (a dark pinkish-purplish. Pretty nice) but DD said she liked these better. I talked up the other ones a little bit but didn't want to be pushy. At least she wasn't crying about the $90 ones that she fell in love with on the display but anyway were all wrong for her feet (whew.)

Don't shame me for this but my kids' shoes are the ONE thing I get very into. I spend more than I'd like to on them because I feel that it's important to get a great fit and quality, and I like them to look great too. I'm not like this in other areas, I promise. But I don't get many nice things for myself and it makes me happy to have something nice for my kids, and it's going to be the shoes because that is what I'm spending money on anyway. But I seriously had half a mind to shlep her to another store to see if they had something nice that fit in a different color. I didn't because rationally I know it would take a ridiculous amount of time, likely cost more than I wanted in money as well, and not all that likely to have the perfect shoe anyway - we got kid approval, correct price, and fit approval; so if color is off then three out of four is about as good as it gets, especially when you go shopping practically on erev yomtov! The other and even more reason why I didn't do that is because I want to avoid passing my gashmiyus hangup to my kid. I want her to be happy with what she has and not think that it is a normal thing to run around to different stores in case something else is even better. Ugh. Not my favorite trait in myself.

So please convince me that my child will look just beautiful and tasteful in navy shoes even with the un-navy uniform with the black socks, and even with the black and gray shabbos clothes with black or gray tights. I have talked my child into being happy with what she has and yet I'm still dissatisfied. Wow I am sounding like such a loser that I think I've just talked myself out of the whole shtus and should just delete this whole post right now. lol.

I imagine I have a long future ahead IY"H of spending lots of money on things my kids like that I don't care for! If I'm having a hard time with this in first grade with a pretty reasonable kid, I can only look forward to what happens when they hit adolescence!

Simple1

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 11:36 am
I think navy with the school uniform if OK, if not perfect. It's a classic school shoe color. But I'm no fashion expert.

As far as Shabbos, black shoes seems standard dressy shoe. The navy may be OK, but it's hard to say without seeing it. A dark navy can almost look black. Also it depends how out and about you'll be and to what extent you want to impress. I wasn't always fussy about shabbos shoes until my kids got older.

You can also consider getting a cheap black mary jane type of shoe just to wear for those times you want her dressed up.

zigi

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 11:48 am
I would go for gray socks, it does depend on the navy color, I would do a gray like you said for tights. how much walking would she do on Shabbos? I would get a nice Shabbos shoe from target etc, if its just for running around in shul.

Sanguine

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 1:24 pm
amother wrote:
So please convince me that my child will look just beautiful and tasteful in...
Your daughter will look absolutely beautiful singing and skipping along in her new blue shoes Very Happy . Stop yourself very quickly if you think the perfect outfit makes the perfect child. Seriously, STOP!! What's wrong with you? Don't put you own insecurities on your daughter. She likes the shoes. She wants to wear them. Who are you trying to impress with the 1st grade fashion statement? Not the other 1st graders. Maybe their mothers, so it's up to you to be above using your child to impress the other ladies for you.

Your child will look just beautiful and tasteful no matter what she wears as long as she's smiling. Now you smile too!! Smile Smile

(can you post a picture of your beautiful daughter?)

GetReal

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 2:36 pm
Navy will look fine but maybe gray or white socks will go better. Enjoy the shoes!

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 4:21 pm
So gray and navy is an ok combination? It's not a very dark almost black navy. And it's also not about impressing anyone else, our social life is so not like that, it's just that I for myself have a strong aesthetic sense and enjoy seeing my kids look beautiful. I know it's vain but this is what I get because I have no time or budget for art lessons or home decorating or anything Wink

I'm getting over it. And thanks to Sanguine I am now humming Pete the Cat's "I love my blue shoes." Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics