Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
CARROT PUFF (KUGEL)

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Dec 07 2009, 4:44 pm
CARROT PUFF (KUGEL)

2 lbs. (bags) carrots, peeled & cut up
½ cup melted margarine
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs

Cook carrots until tender; drain & mash. Add other ingredients and bake in 2 qt casserole dish for 30 minutes.

shanie5

Post Mon, Dec 07 2009, 9:42 pm
if no time to cook carrots, use canned. thats what I do for my carrot kugel recipe (I would guess 2 cans for 2 lbs)

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 08 2009, 10:29 am
You can cook the carrots a day or 2 ahead of time.

BennysMommy

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 8:34 am
Can I use oil instead of marg?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 10:30 am
Please do.

lkwdmommy

Post Mon, May 30 2011, 2:37 pm
Do you think this recipe would work as muffins?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 30 2011, 3:44 pm
I don't see why not

lkwdmommy

Post Mon, May 30 2011, 3:58 pm
Thanks. I want to make carrot muffins for my first night seuda.

mili

Post Mon, Apr 06 2015, 10:59 pm
Would this work with potato flour instead for peach?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 06 2015, 11:57 pm
mili wrote:
Would this work with potato flour instead for peach?
it should.
Use 2 tbsp instead of 3.

mili

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 9:02 pm
Thank you, trying now

Momrus

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 9:32 pm
About how long do carrots need to cook for??

Momrus

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 7:31 pm
What temp should the oven be?? I'm making it for Shabbos.

mommyash

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 7:54 pm
You can also use jars of carrot baby food. I have also used baby food squash. No cooking or mashing required!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 8:37 pm
If you start ahead of time, you can cook the carrots and keep them in the fridge until you need them. The idea of using baby food makes me gag.

zaq

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 10:12 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
If you start ahead of time, you can cook the carrots and keep them in the fridge until you need them. The idea of using baby food makes me gag.

me, too-- not because there is anything wrong with carrot puree, which is what baby food carrots are, but because using commercial baby food carrots means you are spending about $2.40 a lb for carrots (assuming a 4-oz. jar of Beech-NUt goes for 60 cents. Frum brands are more.) But commerical baby food is at LEAST a third water if not half. If you puree just carrots without adding water you get a thick product like mashed potatoes, not the runny stuff you get in a jar. But let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say that only 1/3 is water. That means you are paying $3.20 a lb. for carrots if you pay 60 cents for a 4-ounce jar. YMMV of course--you may buy at Costco for ten cents a jar or at Overpriced Inc. at $1.39 a jar. But I buy carrots for 50 cents a lb in the poor-folks store; they go for 89 cents a lb. in the more upscale shop. That's 50 cents for a whole lb. of pure carrot. OK, a drib less since I peel them. so call it 53 cents a lb. That's a long way from $3.20. At $3.20 a lb, I would call it "gold kugel" because for what it's costing you it may as well be made of the precious metal.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Sep 22 2015, 3:36 pm
We lead busy lives BH. If someone wants to use the baby food jars, I'm not saying no. If it means they aren't buying take out food or paying a cleaning lady, then it's economical. For me, I can just eat roasted carrots; I'm not fancy. But I'mnot telling others what to do .....

zaq

Post Tue, Sep 22 2015, 3:42 pm
Did I say a 4-ounce jar of BeechNut costs 60 cents? In what century? I happened to check it out in a supermarket just yesterday and regular price was $1.29. But hey, if folks want to squander their money, let them. Just don't them come around asking me for a nedavah because they can't afford to buy food for YT. I also couldn't afford to buy food for YT if I spent about $10 a lb for carrots.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes