Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Was it THAT bad?

Iymnok

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 1:27 am
Every year before Yom Kippur there are always a few posts about how to get through it. The OP (and others) are; pregnant, nursing, have small kids at home, have a heath issue or other things.
Was it harder or easier than you expected?
Did you actually daven?
Were your kids okay or get cabin fever by the afternoon?
Did you go into labor?
Did you need to start shiurim?
Were the shiurim you were doing good enough?

ahuva06

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 1:56 am
I actually didn't post before YK but I was super nervous.
I was nervous because I had no idea what to expect and BH, no it was not that bad. I fasted and davened - all from my bed, so it wasn't the most uplifting YK, but I survived Smile

kb

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 6:56 am
I didn't post, but yes, it was as bad as I expected.

I do not fast well when there is a leech taking the limited nutrition/hydration that I have left.

simchat

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 7:28 am
It`s funny how often people say to me `it`s not so bad, stop panicking.` Well the reason I panic every single year, starting weeks or even months before yk is because of EXPERIENCE. Since I`ve had kids, I do not fast well. No, that`s an understatement: it`s torture for me. Even when not pregnant or bf. And this year, being 22+ weeks pregnant, I had an extra reason to be panicky.

Starting from about 2 or 3 hours after the fast started, I was DRY. My lips hurt, my throat hurt... Then the hunger kicked in... When I`m pregnant, I literally need to eat a biiig meal every 2-3 hours. When not pregnant, I still get hungry very easily... I dunno, maybe it`s my metabolism...

I can`t go to sleep early, never could or else I`ll be up at an insane time in the wee hours of the morning. I never understood all those people who say they daven kil nidrei and go to bed - the fast came in at 6.30! If I wasn`t literally falling asleep by the time I got to bed, I`d be tossing and turning fighting the thirst and hunger pangs. As it is, I always wake up multiple times during a fast night to go to the bathroom (`drink drink drink! It`ll really help!...`) and also bc I am so darned dried out, I`m uncomfortable!

By the morning, Im already weak and shaky and headachy. I never understand all those women posting on here how they went to shul, or even at home `I davened mussaf, and sang the main parts with my children` or `neilah can be just as uplifting when davened at home, surrounded by my sweet innocent children...` Huh? I can barely drag myself through shacharis and then maaaaybe some tehilim, but that`s it for the day. The rest of the day is just trying to survive hour by hour. I will read, play games, anything to get my mind off how awful I feel. Davening seems to prolong time for me and I find it tedious and boring. The whole day, I`m ashamed to say, I am irritable, especially with my kids, and angry.

Oh, and btw, I do everything `right` - drink tons before - powerade and water. Eat the right foods. Limit my caffeine intake. Have people lined up all day to help me with, oops, I mean take care of, my kids. Lie down as much as possible. Etc etc etc. But I just feel ill. The last 2 hours usually find me lying down not daring to move in case I throw up. And I can NEVER make it to havdallah. And this year was actually a `good` year.

Sorry for the long moan, but I`m so sick of people saying how it`s not so bad. Maybe for you, for me, I`ll reiterate: it. Is. Torture. And everyone tells me it`s all in my head (I`m actually usually a logical, down-to-earth person, plus this is only in the last few years, as I`ve said- I remember very clearly fasting fine and even being in shul all day) And all I`m thinking when it`s over is, we have to do this every, single, year!

I`m really not trying to be dramatic, just trying to put my perspective out there and hopefully us bad fasters will get a bit more understanding lol. YK is not uplifting in any way to me. It`s torturous.

zigi

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 7:35 am
I did have the really bad years. bh this yk was ok, even with the nonstop nursing. my house was trashed as expected. but bh I was able to keep food down after fasting and also drink normally some years I was a wreck. and super weak the next day.

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 7:42 am
I made it through. That's the best I can say.

The baby did not go to sleep at her usual time, so I started the fast with an extra nursing session. I didn't get enough sleep and woke up with a headache that just wouldn't quit the whole day.

I didn't get to daven either. My one real opportunity to do so was when the baby took a nap, but I decided to nap as well for that one blessed hour. The rest of the time was spent feeding the baby and older child at different times throughout the day and keeping them both entertained.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 7:51 am
Fast was ok but after is worse
I'll be nauseous till Shabbos
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics