Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Monsey mothers - how to deal with hard water?

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 9:40 am
I've recently moved to Monsey and have no idea how to deal with this hard water issue.
My clothes come out of the dryer stiff. I don't like to use softener, only if I must, on towels.
My cutlery gets discolored and watermarked after being washed.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Tia

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 9:46 am
You can pay for soft water.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 9:47 am
amother wrote:
I've recently moved to Monsey and have no idea how to deal with this hard water issue.
My clothes come out of the dryer stiff. I don't like to use softener, only if I must, on towels.
My cutlery gets discolored and watermarked after being washed.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Tia

What's wrong with using softener? I use softener in every load I wash.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 9:56 am
Install water softener. The only thing I believ

iriska_meller

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 11:50 am
I live in Orange county NY and everyone around here has water softeners. I was told it doesn't only affect your clothes but also childrens and adults' skin and eventually pipes in the house... It isn's super expensive and the salt for it is dirt cheap. The cool thing is you can dial softness up and down - we tried a few settings until figuring out what we liked (medium between "my skin feels like sandpaper" and "I am covered with soap even though I just washed it off")

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 12:28 pm
Chayalle wrote:
What's wrong with using softener? I use softener in every load I wash.

Fabric softeners decrease lifespan of materials. I need my good towels and linens etc. to last.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 12:29 pm
iriska_meller wrote:
I live in Orange county NY and everyone around here has water softeners. I was told it doesn't only affect your clothes but also childrens and adults' skin and eventually pipes in the house... It isn's super expensive and the salt for it is dirt cheap. The cool thing is you can dial softness up and down - we tried a few settings until figuring out what we liked (medium between "my skin feels like sandpaper" and "I am covered with soap even though I just washed it off")
[quote]

Sorry, can you clarify what affects the skin and pipes eventually: hard water or use of softener?

Also, is it expensive to install softener?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 12:37 pm
amother wrote:
Fabric softeners decrease lifespan of materials. I need my good towels and linens etc. to last.

I'm married for 18 years B"AH and still using my towels and linens.

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 12:41 pm
Hard water is bad for human skin, pipes, toilets, bathtubs, laundry, etc. etc. There are companies who charge a monthly fee to install a water softener and provide you with soft water.

studying_torah

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 1:27 pm
any recommendations of companies that install the water softener system and what it costs? I don't live in monsey, but have hard water and it's terrible.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 2:16 pm
Some kids break out or get a reaction to fabric softener...FYI.

etky

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 2:27 pm
Here in Israel the water is and has always been extremely hard -- meaning full of mineral deposits.
In recent years domestic softening systems have become available but the vast majority of households here do not have them.
Other than the aesthetic issue (I admit I HATE the water stains on anything and everything metal in the bathrooms and kitchen as well as the limescale in my kettle) and the deleterious, corrosive effect on plumbing and appliances, and how it leaves hair and laundry really brittle if you don't use conditioner and softener, I have never heard that there are any health issues with hard water.
So bottom line - hard water can make your life miserable but it's not going to kill you.

ohsleepy1

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 10:48 pm
We live in Monsey and installed a water softener with Culligan. It was about $4000 for our 5 bedroom, 4 bathroom house plus filtered water in 4 places. They said it will be about $50 for salt every 6 months which is what softens the water.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Oct 19 2015, 10:36 pm
Lol I gotta show this thread to dh. My inlaws live in monsey and when I complained to dh about the hard water (mostly in showers & my kids baths), he made fun of me that it ain't harder than my water at home, I just would rather be home than at my inlaws so I'm finding problems!!! Op, thanks!! Can't wait for him to come home lol

thanks

Post Mon, Oct 19 2015, 10:44 pm
I also installed a water softener and live in Monsey. PM me and I will look up the number of the person that did for me. (We got a quote from Culligan and we went with the other.)

The hard water also ruins appliances, leaves mineral crud on faucets, urns, irons etc. The water softener really helps.

poobahnear

Post Tue, Oct 20 2015, 8:51 am
I'd love to know the name of the water softener company as well. Thanks!

mamamia1

Post Wed, Oct 21 2015, 9:10 pm
Wow - I could have been the one starting this post. Ive been asking around the same question and also want to avoid installing a softener.
After a lot of research I have found that there are in fact health benefits to hard water despite the aesthetic issues.

I have made my own laundry softener ( I like to avoid chemicals in detergents,) by mixing essential oils with epsom bath salts. it works!
Also , after every shower spray with white vinegar( mixed with essential oil- if you dont like the smell- although the smell does dissipate.)
lemon juice also works
just be careful not to use citric stuff or vinegar on oil rubbed bronze faucets etc. - it will erode the color
theres something called limeshine to add to dishwashers it does magic
-
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics