Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Dd just got 1st period...

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 1:07 pm
...and I totally forgot what that's like. She's complaining of cramps all day, and looks pale and weak. And is napping during the day. Any advice what to expect from her mood wise and physically? I gave her Tylenol now for the pain she said it helped bh. She fluctuates between ravenous to not in the mood of eating.

water_bear88

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 1:50 pm
I've always found Advil more effective than Tylenol-it's an anti-inflammatory as well as a painkiller. Best to take it with at least a little food in her stomach. Also, next time, she should take the first dose as soon as she can, even before she starts cramping if the bleeding starts first.

Tell her to drink plenty of water, and try to avoid salty food. It'll help reduce feeling bloated.

If she hasn't had a physical in a while, maybe schedule a pediatrician appointment for her and mention that she got her first period. They should be able to give you advice.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 1:52 pm
The 2 things that have pretty much eliminated cramps for me and made my periods a walk in the park:

1) Eliminating dairy from my diet. Give this a try for a good 1-2 months to see if it has an effect or not.
2) Using natural feminine products. Personally, I use cloth pads or a Diva Cup. I could see those being overwhelming for a teenager who's new to this, so for her I would recommend the Natracare natural disposable pads. The chemicals in conventional pads cause cramping for a lot of people.

Smile1234

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 5:00 pm
When I was a girl Aleve helped me a lot.

return2You

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 5:06 pm
midol!

Amarante

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 6:17 pm
Motrin or the generic iprobrufen is the only remedy that works because it actually controls the level of progestin responsible for the cramping. If you start taking a day or so before you are due, it virtually eliminates the discomfort. Of course in the beginning a period is so irregular that its hard to predict.

I was a teen before Motrin was on the market and I had some really terrible times to tje point where I sometimes would have to be picked up at school. Back then my Bubbe would put me in bed with a heating pad and a cup of tea with lemon and eventually I would be able to sleep. Usually when I woke up, the worst would be over.

But do try Motrin or the generic because it has a different ingredient than other OTC painkillers and targets period pain. I think some of the Midol formulas contain it. When I was a teen, Midol was aspirin and caffeine.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 7:09 pm
Herbal teas will help. Chani8 is our local expert on what works best, so PM her.

Get your DD a hot water bottle or heating pad for her belly, it will work wonders.

Tell her that her moods may swing wildly, and that is totally normal. Tell her that you will be patient with her, because you understand that it's not her fault that her hormones are acting up. Reassure her that she'll feel better in a few days.

Give her lots of space to hide in her room and read books if she wants. She probably doesn't want company. If you have a dog or cat, put it on her bed for comfort.

Let her be picky about food. She may have certain cravings, or get nauseated at the thought of things that she used to like. It will pass in a few days! If she wants to eat nothing but a rare steak, or a tub of chocolate ice cream, give it to her.

Whatever you do, don't make a big deal about it, that's just embarrassing. Do NOT tell her dad when she's in the room, and tell dad not to mention a thing - EVER.

I believe that there's a Sephardic (possibly Moroccan) tradition to slap the girl across the face, to put color back into her cheeks "so that people won't know she's bleeding". Not sure I recommend that one! embarrassed

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 7:20 pm
They make disposable heating pads to put inside your underwear.
That, plus hot baths, plus Advil, plus changes to my diet saved my life back then.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics