Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Crazy Story - News Station uses Yellow Star for Y"K Show

semandbeyond

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 2:12 pm
In a broadcast segment about the Jewish Yom Kippur holiday Wednesday, Chicago station WGN-TV used a stock image of the Nazi yellow star -- a badge in the shape of the Star of David imprinted with the word “Jude” that Jews were forced to wear during the Holocaust -- as the anchor’s over-the-shoulder graphic.

See rest of story here - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/.....0b04e

I heard about the story from The Skimm. It's basically an email with just the top news stories. You get it in your inbox every morning. It takes me 1 minute to read but I definitely feel a lot more informed at work, etc. I used to read the WSJ, but don't have the time or $. To sign up for emails, go to http://www.theskimm.com/?r=146414ce.

DrMom

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 2:50 pm
At least 3 people forwarded this to me today. I thought it was hilarious (in a dark-humored way, of course).

sequoia

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 3:20 pm
TYPICAL Chicago

cbsp

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 7:44 pm
1. Did the reporter know that was the graphic? Or are these things overlayed?

2. Not being sarcastic here, can someone please articulate why this is offensive? My gut is telling me that of course it is but I can't fully put it into words or come up with an analogy that would obviate the need for a verbal explanation.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 9:02 pm
How sad. Some young intern googled "star of david" or "jewish star" and the yellow jude star came up in google images so he/she just picked that one. I can see how a young person who doesn't know their history (or jewish symbols) could make this mistake. What I don't understand is how it went through multiple editors, graphic designers, producers etc. and no one else noticed either.

esther09

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 9:15 pm
cbsp wrote:
1. Did the reporter know that was the graphic? Or are these things overlayed?

2. Not being sarcastic here, can someone please articulate why this is offensive? My gut is telling me that of course it is but I can't fully put it into words or come up with an analogy that would obviate the need for a verbal explanation.

Really? It would be like, if a reporter was wishing an audience a Happy Kwanzaa (which is a bad example because not every African American person celebrates it) and the picture was of a KKK robe or a confederate flag.

That jude star represents a time when a Jew was killed for just being a Jew. The whole idea of a reporter in America wishing Jews a Happy Yom Kippur symbolizes that we are free to practice our religion without persecution. That symbol, it represents the EXACT opposite.

cbsp

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 10:20 pm
esther09 wrote:
[/b]

Really? It would be like, if a reporter was wishing an audience a Happy Kwanzaa (which is a bad example because not every African American person celebrates it) and the picture was of a KKK robe or a confederate flag.

That jude star represents a time when a Jew was killed for just being a Jew. The whole idea of a reporter in America wishing Jews a Happy Yom Kippur symbolizes that we are free to practice our religion without persecution. That symbol, it represents the EXACT opposite.

Thank you. I actually was trying to compare it to the confederate flag but that fell short in my mind because to me that would be comparable to a swastika. This is a symbol we wore, not our oppressors. Within the context of history the concept wasn't even invented by the nazis ym"sh (although the image used was clearly from that time period, off a camp uniform). Historically it was designed to separate the Jews as "other"

It makes sense, though, to say it's a symbol of persecution when the message they intended to send was one of inclusion.

Although, I kinda don't get the whole "happy" Yom Kippur bit - as I told my dd therapist when asked how we're celebrating the day "by not eating"

And as far as the poor intern goes, ouch. I hope this is used as a teachable moment and he's not too badly penalized if indeed he really did not know the difference or if it was done inadvertently (meant to click on the star of David, grabbed the image next to it). That's why I asked if the reporter saw the image - someone his age should have recognized it for what it was.

All around, a reminder that we are still in golus, in case we thought we forgot.

DrMom

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 10:38 pm
cbsp wrote:
Although, I kinda don't get the whole "happy" Yom Kippur bit - as I told my dd therapist when asked how we're celebrating the day "by not eating"

These people are obviously clueless about YK , so I don't expect they thought it through much.

Although YK is not supposed to be a sad day.

Hatemywig

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 10:43 pm
The truly sad part of this is that the person who found the picture had no idea about the history behind it.

cbsp

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 10:55 pm
Hatemywig wrote:
The truly sad part of this is that the person who found the picture had no idea about the history behind it.

Do we know for sure that's the case? I have not read/seen any follow-up...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics