Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Someone lease help me!!!!

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 7:26 pm
I'm so done, I can't even move on. My son has no respect for me OR my husband. Thank god he has respect for his rabbi and Morah....
can anyone recommend an amazing child psychologist in the 5T area who specializes in ADHD and ODD?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 7:35 pm
Hug ODD is SO hard! I wish I knew of someone in your area. Hopefully you will find a good answer soon.

How old is your son? My friend has children with ODD, and it seems like the grade school and middle school years were the hardest, but by the time they hit high school things got better. I wouldn't say that they "grew out of it", but rather that they learned to channel that energy into better ways of expressing themselves. They've become class leaders, resist peer pressure, and have a very good sense of who they are and what they want in life.

Try to remember that your child's biggest challenge will become their biggest asset as an adult. They just need to learn how to use that strength for good, rather than mayhem.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 7:46 pm
I don't know of anyone, but maybe call someone from the Diamond Program, which is in the 5 Towns, and ask them if they can refer you to someone qualified. Hatzlacha.

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jan 10 2016, 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 7:46 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Hug ODD is SO hard! I wish I knew of someone in your area. Hopefully you will find a good answer soon.

How old is your son? My friend has children with ODD, and it seems like the grade school and middle school years were the hardest, but by the time they hit high school things got better. I wouldn't say that they "grew out of it", but rather that they learned to channel that energy into better ways of expressing themselves. They've become class leaders, resist peer pressure, and have a very good sense of who they are and what they want in life.

Try to remember that your child's biggest challenge will become their biggest asset as an adult. They just need to learn how to use that strength for good, rather than mayhem.

He is 8.5
The yeshiva system is definitely NOT doing anything to help, with all the focus being on learning learning learning, and not midos. They are not taught the practical application of what they learn. Avraham ran to his guests three days after his Bris and made a gigantic Seuss for them. That's great, but what's the practical application?
At the rate he's going, he won't have any friends by high school....he lies, cheats, and steals with no qualms.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 7:47 pm
happy to be me wrote:
I don't know of anyone, but maybe call someone from the Diamond Program, which is in the 5 Towns, and ask them if they can refer you to someone qualified. Hatzlacha.

Good idea, dr Reichmann and I are very close....if ya know what I mean....

happy to be me

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 8:00 pm
Was he officially diagnosed yet? If yes, then maybe that dr can recommend someone that they have had a positive experience with.
I am so sorry that you are going through this and wish I had something more concrete to offer.
Wishing you loads of hatzlacha, and lots and lots of nachas.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 9:14 pm
I used a psychiatrist in the 5 towns-Dr. Halana Rothberg. Her office is right off of Cental ave. She is a frum wonderful woman. and had a great rapport with my ADD Ds. She was referred by Relief. Don't think she takes insurance though.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 9:16 pm
happy to be me wrote:
Was he officially diagnosed yet? If yes, then maybe that dr can recommend someone that they have had a positive experience with.
I am so sorry that you are going through this and wish I had something more concrete to offer.
Wishing you loads of hatzlacha, and lots and lots of nachas.

ADHD yes, ODD no. The medicating doctor is out of LIJ and doesn't know anyone here. I asked him already.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 9:17 pm
amother wrote:
I used a psychiatrist in the 5 towns-Dr. Halana Rothberg. Her office is right off of Cental ave. She is a frum wonderful woman. and had a great rapport with my ADD Ds. She was referred by Relief. Don't think she takes insurance though.

Do you know her number?

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 10:01 pm
Glenn Hirsch at NYU child study center. He is one of the heads and a little hard to get to, but don't give up. They have a satellite center on Long Island. Once Dr Hirsch meets him, have him recommend someone at the Long Island center for ongoing treatment

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 10:02 pm
amother wrote:
Glenn Hirsch at NYU child study center. He is one of the heads and a little hard to get to, but don't give up. They have a satellite center on Long Island. Once Dr Hirsch meets him, have him recommend someone at the Long Island center for ongoing treatment

Do you know the number? And where is the center located?

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 10:16 pm
Dr Hirsch
646-754-5000

The LI satellite is in New Hyde Park. Try Dr Clark Goldstein
516-358-1808

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 10:59 pm
Dr. Halana Rothbort
Address: 141 Washington Ave # 200, Lawrence, NY 11559
Phone:(516) 506-1900
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)