Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Zichron Yaakov?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 8:15 am
My husband and I G-d willing want to make aliyah soon, and we just returned from an Israel trip where we had the opportunity to visit potential communities. We were looking at places that are commuting distance to Herzilya, and never felt like we found exactly what we were looking for. We never got the chance to visit Zichron, though, and I was wondering if any of you have any info about the community. We are BT, yeshivish, but also tended to like the more heterogeneous communities. We just want to be surrounded by committed, inspired, and warm people. We ideally would want to live somewhere with a small number of Anglos. Thanks for your help!

Tablepoetry

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 11:44 am
It's a beautiful, quaint town. Supposedly lots of anglos there. Has a train station which is a HUGE bonus. You can take the train to Herzilya or Tel Aviv, I believe it goes directly.
Sorry I don't have details. It is expensive BTW, but probably not more than herzilya.

Ashrei

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 1:07 pm
Not op, just following the thread with interest bci remember visiting there once and thinking it was quite a pretty little place. I thought I'd ask:

What schools are there/what hashkafa, and

Any good Kosher eateries?

ruchelbuckle

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 1:40 pm
My information is old, so take it with a grain of salt.

My information is based on what I know of the religious neighborhoods of zichron yakov.

There are 2 chareidi neighborhoods of zichron: Ohr Somayach area and Chazon Ish.

In the mid-late 70s, Ohr Someach of J'lem established a branch in Zichron Yakov, and a small neighborhood was built around that. When I saw small, I mean, something like 35-40 families live in this little "enclave" although more housing has been built within the past 12-15 years. That neighborhood has been a mix of Israelis and Chutznikim. Yeshivas Ohr Someach stopped funding this yeshiva in the late 80s/early 90s, since then it's been called Ohr Yakov. It's a small post-high school yeshiva for English speaking guys, there have usually been a few married guys learning there as well. At the time I hung out there, the Rosh Hayeshiva was an american by the name of Rabbi Black. I don't know if he is there anymore (or if the yeshiva still exists, even). I don't even know if that was the name of the neighborhood, we just always said, "by the yeshiva."

The other neighborhood is called Chazon Ish, and is an Israeli chareidi neighborhood. It's newer, with bigger and nicer homes. Mostly Israeli, I knew 1-2 English speaking families living there.

The rest of Zichron Yakov is known to be an upscale chiloni community. Nice, and expensive. Not a large DL community, and certainly no separate DL neighborhood. Any DL folks are interspersed in the chiloni neighborhood. Very pretty city. Lots of fields, groves, orchards to walk through from what I remember. About 12 minute ride through Binyamina to the train station.

Don't know much about the schools except that there is a cheder and BY elementary school. Charedi kids go out for high school. Girls go to BY Haifa or BY Hadera for high school. Haifa was more relaxed atmosphere, with more of a mix of girls. Hadera was more "Wolf" /Bnai Brak style.

HTH. I would say "feel free to ask questions," but I really don't know much else.

SmileUrJewish

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 4:54 pm
OP here. (I don't exactly know why I originally posted anonymously...)

Thank you so much- that was absolutely a great introduction to the area and much appreciated!! I'm definitely curious to learn more about those neighborhoods... the idea of a mixed neighborhood sounds really appealing to us. I would love if anyone else has any updates to add to that description, or even contacts that I could talk to there. Smile

amother

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 7:23 pm
We considered it briefly. On the nbn zichron yaakov page there is a contact named yael. We contacted her and she was very helpful. Good luck. I heard its a gorgeous city!

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 11:57 am
bump.

SarahSmiles

Post Sat, Sep 26 2015, 4:02 pm
I live in Zichron Yaacov - you are most welcome to message me directly for more info: osterhelen@gmail.com

Another mom

Post Sat, Sep 26 2015, 5:33 pm
Gorgeous, but humid in summer. I know a lot about it cuz my sis lives there- you can Pm me too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions