Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
How hopelessly dated would this be?

seeker

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 1:06 am
Just came across some old skirts I bought in seminary, circa 10 years ago. Long, with very wide pleats. It's about a decade later and I'm about a decade older, married with kids and in a profession. Can I still wear these? Is it worth having them taken in? (there is a reason I bought new skirts IN seminary...ahem) I loved and lived in those skirts. They must have been made of steel because they still look new. The only thing they lack is pockets. Am I going to look too "teen" or too "last decade"?

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 2:09 am
They still fit you
WOW!!!

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 2:17 am
Most of my clothing is 10 to 20 years "out of style", because I prefer to shop in thrift stores. I find that those cuts are more flattering than what is trendy now, and suit my body type. better.

A skirt is a pretty neutral piece of clothing. You can easily update your look by mixing it up with a different color blouse, a fun statement necklace, or a classy blazer or cardigan. Don't be afraid to play with color.

Bottom line (pun intended), if you can wear it with confidence and ROCK IT, then you will always look fabulous!

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 8:21 am
Can you post a picture because I'm thinking that just sounds like a school uniform.

watergirl

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 8:56 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
They still fit you
WOW!!!

No, read her op. They dont fit - she has to have then taken IN. after kids... Oy. Well, I dont want to make anyone jealous or anything, but I still fit into my earrings from 10 years ago...

L25

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 11:30 am
watergirl- your last line made me LOL!

cnc

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 12:59 pm
watergirl wrote:
No, read her op. They dont fit - she has to have then taken IN. after kids... Oy. Well, I dont want to make anyone jealous or anything, but I still fit into my earrings from 10 years ago...

Rolling Laughter

Dolly Welsh

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 1:31 pm
I think it will fly if you have black tights and matte black heels, not hugely high, and a simple, grown up top. Perhaps a top that does not tuck in. But as the pleats make an emphatic pattern, keep the top simple and plain, or the look gets too busy.

Exception: if you are markedly tall, you can carry some additional goings-on above the waist. But not a lot.

I would soft-pedal jewelry with those wide pleats, even if you are tall.

These days, anything back-to-the-old-days looking reads as sophisticated, not out of date. Meaning, if simple, tailored and severe, as this is. (Not the girlish naivetes of yesteryear. No, not that.)

I love flats, but I think you need some heel here, to make the skirt grown up and not sem.

A truly good skirt is a fine thing. Yes, you need to know how to present it right. You do.

seeker

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 4:51 pm
Different than school uniform because the pleats are much wider, but yeah not that different. School uniforms usually have what, 1 1/2" pleats? and this is about 4 inches or more between pleats.

I didn't lose any weight or look any better since having kids, but in seminary I got really bloated. Still don't know exactly what it was, but I gained a ton and had to replace all my clothes at least once a couple of sizes up, and then as soon as I got home it all came right off. Something about seminary just swelled me up. And I didn't eat that poorly either! And got tons of exercise walking all over, hills and stairs and all! Whatever. Also, the teen style in the day was to wear everything low around the hips. So even if I were the same size, I'd take it in to fit on the waist like normal people wear clothes.

anonymrs

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 4:57 pm
Yes, very dated. So sorry:(

amother
Brunette

Post Sat, Sep 26 2015, 3:26 pm
Definitely dated.

DrMom

Post Sat, Sep 26 2015, 3:31 pm
I think I need a photo. I am picturing something like this:

or a Catholic schoolgirl kilt.

But I'm sure that's not what you meant...

SacN

Post Sat, Sep 26 2015, 3:46 pm
If it's a high waisted skirt with those big pleats, meant to be worn with a tucked in shirt, those are super popular here.

All the teenagers are wearing them on shabbos.

Most married ladies either don't feel that they want to show their figures off that much, or that their figures are constantly changing too much to invest in a skirt they can only wear sometimes.

I haven't bought one because, though I like the look and think its very flattering and more tznius than the pencil skirts that have been in until now, because I think they are harder to match with and I like my skirts to be versatile.

Liebs

Post Sat, Sep 26 2015, 7:22 pm
Do you mean those "box pleat" skirts?
Depends where you live...in Israel everything goes!

amother
Tangerine

Post Sat, Sep 26 2015, 11:30 pm
http://www.farfetch.com/shoppi......aspx
Like this? Only if it's past ankle length and fitted.

http://www.farfetch.com/shoppi......aspx
This one is more dowdy, less fitted.

mushroom caps

Post Sat, Sep 26 2015, 11:43 pm
Sorry but that last link-was that skirt one thousand something dollars?????

MagentaYenta

Post Sat, Sep 26 2015, 11:55 pm
But the first skirt was so much cheaper only $581.

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 27 2015, 12:04 am
LOL!!!! Not exactly like that but now I know, I should sell them instead of wearing them! You just made my night LOL

mommy321

Post Sun, Sep 27 2015, 6:31 am
I know the exact skirts and the exact slimming-effect-on-the-bloat thing they do!

I do think it looks very seminary-ish. That's just the honest truth. If I was feeling like I don't care, I'd wear it, but from your question you sound like you care a bit, so I'd say no.

Unless you want to shorten it and release half of the pleats or something (I'm no seamstress) and try to update it. You don't have much to lose.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics