Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Tehillim for someone's spiritual health

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 1:40 pm
We frequently say tehillim for people's physical health. What about their spiritual health? Such as tehillim meant to aid in someone's teshuva process, either that they should succeed in their efforts or that it should be accepted? Or is spiritual health more personal and not something others daven/ say tehillim for on anyone else's behalf?

singleagain

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 3:05 pm
I don't think there's anything wrong with it, per sea, but I wouldn't advertise it at all. I would just quietly daven that god should help them, I wouldn't even tell someone 'my friend is struggling spiritually, please pray for her' unless that person asked publicly or gave you permission

seeker

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 4:47 pm
Why not?

purpleonion

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 4:51 pm
People can get hurt and usually keep these at private , unlike physical health where everyone understands that it isn't the persons fault . Emotional/spiritual health ppl tend to believe that it is that persons fault and very often judge them , which is why ppl prefer to keep these in private .
I am praying a lot for others but am not advertising it .

seeker

Post Sat, Sep 26 2015, 8:28 pm
I sort of assumed OP meant her own davening, not posting the person's name and situation on the communal list.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sat, Sep 26 2015, 11:14 pm
Yes, private! Not on a public list or anything like that. Wondering about the appropriateness of such a tefilla.

singleagain

Post Sat, Sep 26 2015, 11:44 pm
I see no reason why it would be inappropriate.

zaq

Post Sat, Sep 26 2015, 11:47 pm
Just daven for their refuat hanefesh urefuat haguf without getting into specifics. The KBH knows better than you what the person needs.

chani8

Post Sun, Sep 27 2015, 3:14 am
Certainly you can daven for a refuas hanefesh. I daven that we should be 'healthy in all ways, including physically, spiritually, religiously, psychologically, and relationship'lly."

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Sep 27 2015, 8:05 am
amother wrote:
We frequently say tehillim for people's physical health. What about their spiritual health? Such as tehillim meant to aid in someone's teshuva process, either that they should succeed in their efforts or that it should be accepted? Or is spiritual health more personal and not something others daven/ say tehillim for on anyone else's behalf?

You can daven for me all you want, but please don't ask me for my name or tell me you are davening for me.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 27 2015, 8:23 am
Years ago I saw a wonderful presentation by R' Maimon Elbaz on shemone esrei. I don't remember much but do remember, and utilize this regularly, that in the bracha of sim shalom we can daven for inner peace for those who need it (including ourselves) too.

And as Chani said, we daven for refuas hanefesh as well as refuas haguf.

I'm part of a challah list where sometimes the person in need that week is in need of a yeshua ruchani. I have no idea of the particulars but it's definitely a worthwhile avodah. I personally know some mothers who've traded names. (Once before a shiur someone was taking names for a zechus and there were several mothers who were very open about their needs.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics