Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
What's the weirdest gift you got?
  Previous  1  2  3 18  19 20  21  22  Next

smileyface:)

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 6:54 pm
oh I got elefant candle stucks. the trunk was the holder

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 10:00 pm
For the birth of my child.... From a frum physician....
A bag of samples. Including trief bay food.

Actually, most of the stuff was handy if you didn't think that he probably got it from work and it was honestly probably made by his secretary. There were a few baby bottles in it which made the whole thing worth it!

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 10:19 pm
Thank you for reviving this thread. I am laughing so hard my kid is coming out of bed. I mean, no thanks for that but...

return2You

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 10:26 pm
sky wrote:
As a wedding present we got a glass vase. Except that the inside is split into four compartments. and the top is sealed except for 4 small holes that lead into each of the 4 compartments. the holes are too small for most flower stems to fit through. We cannot figure out what it is for. We saved it so we can have people guess what it is - but nobody ever guessed.

scent diffuser?
sorry, I know this thread is old but cant resist a good puzzle Confused

return2You

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 10:35 pm
I got mens perfume from a students mother for chanukah shock

also polka dotted tube socks from another student.

amother
White

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 3:17 pm
my parents were given a becher when I was born that says my name on it and "yeled tov". uuuh im a girl!!!

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 9:02 pm
Okay this thread is awesome!

I keep thinking that I posted on it already but I can't find it.

One standout wedding gift: a pair of cheap glass candlesticks from a really wealthy family. That's not the weird part. The weird part is that they had melted wax in them!

But the gift that takes the cake is when DH came home with a "just because" present one day in an empty formula can. He excitedly called me over to see it. I looked inside and found...

a mouse!

Yes, a live mouse. The kind that you put out traps for at home. He actually BOUGHT IT AT THE PET STORE thinking I'd like it.

Let's just say that I was not amused. And DH swore off of giving me presents for a while after that.

Do I win?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 9:53 pm
amother wrote:
Okay this thread is awesome!

I keep thinking that I posted on it already but I can't find it.

One standout wedding gift: a pair of cheap glass candlesticks from a really wealthy family. That's not the weird part. The weird part is that they had melted wax in them!

But the gift that takes the cake is when DH came home with a "just because" present one day in an empty formula can. He excitedly called me over to see it. I looked inside and found...

a mouse!

Yes, a live mouse. The kind that you put out traps for at home. He actually BOUGHT IT AT THE PET STORE thinking I'd like it.

Let's just say that I was not amused. And DH swore off of giving me presents for a while after that.

Do I win?

nope, because I got TWO live mice. As a wedding/sheva brachos gift from DH's former dormmates. It was actually hilarious. We only returned them (than G-d that option had been arranged...) because we were in a tiny shana rishona apartment and they were a little smelly even when clean - the type that you wouldn't notice if you had a place to put them, but when your whole home is about as big as a mousetrap it gets stale fast.

Anon only because this story for sure went around to anyone associated with the largish yeshiva in which it happened. If your husband ever came home from kollel chuckling about his friends' gag gift, that was us.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 10:05 pm
I once got wind chimes for watching someone's child for a couple of days. like where exactly to put it in my tiny little apartment? not to mention I don't even have a backyard. so it went straight to recycling. I felt bad cuz they don't have extra money, but they really wanted to buy a gift.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 12:27 am
I know that this is an old thread but it had me Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

Iymnok

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 4:39 am
Well thank you for reviving this thread, I can answer chatz's query.
chatz wrote:
I'm Rolling Laughter reading this thread.

For our engagement: white towel with red hearts. Where am I supposed to use this, exactly?

It’s been a while since you posted in 2010, but there is a thread around about the best use of such towels. Twisted Evil
Now, after 8 years you can finally relax.
You’re welcome.

tf

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 5:40 am
yummydd wrote:
I once got from someone a pack of scourers and a pack of steelwool! Now those people may have decided that my house needs more cleaning but the problem is they have never been to my house or know me it was one of my dh friend Very Happy

This doesn't necessarily mean they think your house needs more cleaning. Rather they may have figured this is something practical everyone can use and yet not nosey, implying or shaming.

happyone

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 7:44 am
I got an ORANGE , yes the fruit, from a coworker for my birthday:)
She is an old fashioned, Irish, darling women that believes in it's the thought that counts .
I kept the orange and its card on my desk for a while as it made me smile each time I saw it.

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 8:12 am
https://www.amazon.com/Jay-JA0.....DSCPU

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 8:38 am
I'm a person that likes nice stuff. I have nice things sitting on my cupboards, in my bedroom on shelves, flowers, soaps, nice candles... I had a friend, totally social off, she wanted to buy me something for my birthday and a while before we met at a shop and I mentioned how much I liked something they had. It was little accessories to hang on door handles, but they smelled really nice.
When I had my birthday she told me she has a really nice present for me, she kept on saying how much she paid for it. And that she saw how much I loved those smelly things in the shop and that I will love it. But I had to wait a bit because she isn't finished preparing it.
One day she comes to my door with a big 'arrangement', inside a shampoo, handcream, deodorant and a soap bar. Oh and not a fancy one. She made them all matching from 'dove' (the plain dark blue)
I'll never forget how embarrassed I was. I just ran inside to hide it.
WHAT DID SHE THINK THAT I DON'T HAVE SHAMPOO AND DEODORANT?!
And if any of you think that she thought I was smelly or anything, let me tell you I'm a very clean person that showers every day and brushes my teeth twice a day and I never ever smell (except from perfume) oh and she never brushes her teeth, for her shampoo was probably a luxury

rgr

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 9:48 am
Iymnok wrote:
Well thank you for reviving this thread, I can answer chatz's query.
It’s been a while since you posted in 2010, but there is a thread around about the best use of such towels. Twisted Evil
Now, after 8 years you can finally relax.
You’re welcome.

Nah not if its white Wink

rgr

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 9:51 am
amother wrote:
I'm a person that likes nice stuff. I have nice things sitting on my cupboards, in my bedroom on shelves, flowers, soaps, nice candles... I had a friend, totally social off, she wanted to buy me something for my birthday and a while before we met at a shop and I mentioned how much I liked something they had. It was little accessories to hang on door handles, but they smelled really nice.
When I had my birthday she told me she has a really nice present for me, she kept on saying how much she paid for it. And that she saw how much I loved those smelly things in the shop and that I will love it. But I had to wait a bit because she isn't finished preparing it.
One day she comes to my door with a big 'arrangement', inside a shampoo, handcream, deodorant and a soap bar. Oh and not a fancy one. She made them all matching from 'dove' (the plain dark blue)
And if any of you think that she thought I was smelly or anything, let me tell you I'm a very clean person that showers every day and brushes my teeth twice a day and I never ever smell (except from perfume) oh and she never brushes her teeth, for her shampoo was probably a luxury

Why were you embarrassed? If she's socially off you just thank her nicely and let it slide. I can see where she jumped from nice smelling door hangers to nice smelling soaps and deodorant.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 10:00 am
A very generous, well off family ive seen giv very expensiv presents ( iv seen the stuff they gave 2 acquaintance) gave us a card that said when we want, we can use their isreal apartment. I know they meant it well, and it seems generous, but it is their the type that if some1 asked them if they can use their apartment when their not there, theyd say no. Cuz they are very tough, a lil too clean and structured that they r very strict with any1 with kids. And theyd def say no if we asked( not that I wud) also not the type that theyd remember, amd from what I see hav no issues with making some1 feel uncomfortable for asking...we always said it was their way of getting out od a gift. Its still very weird so many years later. Cuz id never ask and they know wed never ask. Amd theyd never bring it up

Sadie

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 10:09 am
amother wrote:

That sounds like a nice gift and this story doesn’t make you look good at all.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 10:15 am
Amother blonde, your friend sounds very sweet & you sound like an ungrateful big shot that can't accept a gift graciously because it's not a "nice gift". If your friend is socially off, her gift really shows an effort on her part.
Page 19 of 22   Previous  1  2  3 18  19 20  21  22  Next Recent Topics