Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Dh wants me to stop shaving
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Sep 27 2015, 5:22 pm
Maya wrote:
I don't know, and this is not about firsts.

I thought that's what u meant Abt brooklyn....
Whatever. Doesn't matter
Enjoy Yom tov

amother
Green

Post Sun, Sep 27 2015, 6:12 pm
Butterfly wrote:
Maya you are putting the shaving issue in the same catagory as the seams and driving takonas while you are very well aware that those are two entirely different ball games.

As other posters have already specified; Shaving wasn't constituted after the war. It was a minhag that was constituted generations ago way before the war by endorsement of bais din at a particular time and is therefore considered 'minhag'! Whereas driving and seams are NOT minhag, only takonos!

Satmar Rebbe only re-inforced the minhag of shaving again after the war because due to the tzaros people endured during the war many strayed from various halachos and minhagim they have kept before the war.

Satmer Rebbe basically re-constructed yiddishkeit in America during a time when there was a bare minimum of (if?) Kosher shechita, shmiras Shabbas, chalav yisroel, mikvaos, schools, yeshivahs etc etc.

About the takonos of driving or wearing seamed stockings, those are takonos only. He instituted those in America.
Those are certainly not profound minhagim! Those are only tikanos!
Therefore women, even of Satmer chasidos, who don't adhere to those takonos aren't liable of straying of minhag/halacha.

Sorry but my family had frum relatives going back WAY BEFORE WW2 in America that were frum. My family has been here for generations. While it wasn't like today with hundreds and hundreds of schools around, they still were frum. And they didn't eat pork either!

There were frum yidden in America before the chassidim came!
(End vent. Just tired of chassidish friends claiming there were none.)

gp2.0

Post Sun, Sep 27 2015, 6:15 pm
marina wrote:
Electric shavers were invented in 1928. The gillette type were mass produced in early 1900s. Is that what our ancestors in the shtetl had? Their little stores carried gillette razors? They got a shipment in from America? I'm just not seeing it.

They just used straight razors like everyone else in the 18th century did.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Sep 27 2015, 8:02 pm
Omigosh this is so far out of my realm of thinking I assumed he was referring to armpits and legs... I never even bothered reading this thread until now...

SO, what did you decided????

marina

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 1:38 am
gp2.0 wrote:
They just used straight razors like everyone else in the 18th century did.

using straight razors required a trained barber... I am just not seeing it.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 8:19 am
amother wrote:
Sorry but my family had frum relatives going back WAY BEFORE WW2 in America that were frum. My family has been here for generations. While it wasn't like today with hundreds and hundreds of schools around, they still were frum. And they didn't eat pork either!

There were frum yidden in America before the chassidim came!
(End vent. Just tired of chassidish friends claiming there were none.)

Same. One of my ancestors was a shochet so clearly there was a demand. Also, Chassidim have been in the country since pre-WWII. Not in such large numbers but they were here.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 9:21 am
marina wrote:

No one today shave their head with razors they use hair clippers and scissors

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 10:13 am
A man is not allowed to use razors

amother
Green

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 12:46 pm
amother wrote:
Same. One of my ancestors was a shochet so clearly there was a demand. Also, Chassidim have been in the country since pre-WWII. Not in such large numbers but they were here.

But my family is not chasidish!
There were frum yidden (not chasidish) here before WW2.

marina

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 1:16 pm
amother wrote:
No one today shave their head with razors they use hair clippers and scissors

how does a clipper and scissors cut it all down so low? I guess I don't get this whole thing.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 1:22 pm
amother wrote:
But my family is not chasidish!
There were frum yidden (not chasidish) here before WW2.

I know my point was that there were frum jews including Chassidim in the US.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 4:44 pm
Op, I'm curious what your decision was, and did you get the information you were looking for?

I'm in the same situation now, where DH is moving away from chassidishkeit, and wants me to stop shaving. I'm looking thru old threads to read what others have to say about this topic.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 5:01 pm
I learned that al pi halacha, if a husband wants his wife to stop shaving she is required to do so because of the prohibition of making oneself repulsive to one's husband.

I've seen at least 2 or 3 sources on this. Don't have them now, but may have a little time to search for them later.

gold21

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 7:04 pm
sky wrote:
so how many years back does shaving go?
(I don't shave)
My grandmother has very clear recollections that her mother and grandmother and all the women in their village shaved. In fact she remembers people being treated very poorly when they stopped shaving.
[The mikva was on my grandmother's property growing up so she knew a lot growing up. This was Czechoslovakia\Hungary border]

Randomly skimming this thread

My fathers parents also grew up on a village on czechoslovakia/hungary border

Maybe they knew each other Wink

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 7:10 pm
amother wrote:
Op, I'm curious what your decision was, and did you get the information you were looking for?

I'm in the same situation now, where DH is moving away from chassidishkeit, and wants me to stop shaving. I'm looking thru old threads to read what others have to say about this topic.
Wow this is just the right thread that I needed at this point of my life. I'm in the same boat here my husband is I don't know if moving away from chassidishkeit would be the right way to call it I think it's more like becoming more open minded so to speak. And also would love for me to grow out my hair so I'll be watching this topic

mazal555

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 8:51 pm
marina wrote:

They didn't. Average men shaved with a straight razor at home.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 10:45 pm
Just curious what if I decide I don't want to shave anymore???? If I toivel while letting my hair grow is it considered a chatziza?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 10:47 pm
amother wrote:
Just curious what if I decide I don't want to shave anymore???? If I toivel while letting my hair grow is it considered a chatziza?
It's only a chatzitza if you generally remove it. Once you decide you are no longer removing that hair prior to mikva, it's not a chatzitza.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 10:50 pm
amother wrote:
It's only a chatzitza if you generally remove it. Once you decide you are no longer removing that hair prior to mikva, it's not a chatzitza.

What about if I decide that I don't want to shave every single time before tevilla just every few months???

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 10:57 pm
amother wrote:

I once heard that you'd need to be matir neder if your minhag was to always shave before Mikva. And therefore don't shave every time you go, only every few weeks as needed.
Same with any minhag or chumra that you no longer want to keep, like not to mish on Pesach etc.
Page 8 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions