Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How can I make my house more fun?

mommy08

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 10:04 pm
I sometimes feel like my house is boring for my DD's friends. What do 7 year old girls play with on a shabbos afternoon and/or Sundays? I hate when they gravitate towards the TV and IPad. What am I doing wrong??

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 10:13 pm
Seven year olds are really into imaginative play. Watching TV and videos doesn't give them the opportunity. What about encouraging them to paint and then to tell or act out the story behind their picture.

Yea I'd take the TV and computer away. They need to learn how to use their minds to think, visualize and imagine.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 10:19 pm
dolls, dress up, building, board games, school, house...

get a few toys that would work for any of the above. and get some crafts supplies for sundays. if you want to be more involved, bake with your dd and her friends on sundays. get some fun cookie cutters and sprinkles.

Volunteer

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 10:49 pm
Crafts supplies are great: beads and things to make jewelry, different kinds of paints and pastels and stuff, origami books for kids, clay... check out your local discount stores for cute craft kits. If your kids might like it, there are also cool kids' science activities books with creative little experiments using household material s. Check the library.

tichellady

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 12:15 am
Give the girls random props from your house or costumes and have them make skits or pretend commercials or act out their favorite books

Iymnok

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 8:30 am
Arts and crafts. Get a set or two of plastic drawers.
Put oater in one, markers in another, glue, sequins and glitter in another, crayons in another, beads and yarn in another, scissors, rulers, and fun stencils in another...
Puppet theater and puppets.
Jump rope, skip-it, Chinese jump rope.
Board games
Twister

animeme

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 8:42 am
We did well for Shabbos playdates when we started allowing access to the Purim box year round for dress up. A couple of cheap necklaces, hats and sunglasses help a lot. An art box is nice for Sundays.

Fox

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 9:23 am
ITA with all the other suggestions plus this: popcorn.

There is something about the smell of freshly-popped popcorn that signals "party"! Don't buy microwave popcorn; buy a popcorn popper or use a wok with a lid -- you can get enough popcorn to last the rest of your life from a discount or club store for $25 or so.

For Shabbos make it ahead of time.

It's more-or-less healthful compared to other treats, and while it makes a horrific mess, it's easily cleaned up with a broom.

Simple1

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 10:57 am
I see others said crafts. But even plain old paper and crayons can be a lot of fun with a little bit of imagination. You can also get cheap coloring books, and let the friend tear out her page to take home.

Do you have building toys - such as clics?

They can also play games such as charades, I spy, etc.

smss

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 12:20 pm
Fox wrote:
ITA with all the other suggestions plus this: popcorn.

There is something about the smell of freshly-popped popcorn that signals "party"! Don't buy microwave popcorn; buy a popcorn popper or use a wok with a lid -- you can get enough popcorn to last the rest of your life from a discount or club store for $25 or so.

For Shabbos make it ahead of time.

It's more-or-less healthful compared to other treats, and while it makes a horrific mess, it's easily cleaned up with a broom.

Yes, it is decent. Especially if you use coconut oil and organic popcorn. Most non-organic popcorn is GMO.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 12:35 pm
smss wrote:
Yes, it is decent. Especially if you use coconut oil and organic popcorn. Most non-organic popcorn is GMO.

Totally off topic... OP didnt ask opinions on GMO food. Talking abt GMO and organic will not make her house more fun...

ALL the suggestions were good... DD likes to do perler beads with friends (if you can work out a situation where its safe for little kids).
She plays all kinds of dolls/doll carriages/dress up.
Spot it is popular with her friends.

smss

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 12:47 pm
amother wrote:
Totally off topic... OP didnt ask opinions on GMO food. Talking abt GMO and organic will not make her house more fun...

Haha that's definitely true Smile
I just thought I'd mention it for those who do care, while we were on the topic of popcorn ;-)

sky

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 1:01 pm
Paper and crayons is what my daughter (1st grade) and friends gravitate to the most right now.
She also has a spirograph kit she has fun showing her friends how to use (she has a large set so 2 or more people can use it at a time)
Basic board games, card games like UNO.
Jump rope, skip-it, pogo ball
Once in while they will play with the doll house or dolls but not so much.
I'm not finding the girls using the building toys as much as my boys did, some times they will take out the playsticks.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 10:14 pm
Any ideas for 9 year old girls? 11 year old boys? 13, 15 year old girls?

Kugglegirl

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 11:14 pm
Regarding the older kids- as they get older, some tend to be more physical- so full sized basketball hoop & rip sticks (helmets, yes, helmets) work to keep my 10 yo & his friends busy.

Some girls in our neighborhood are playing with gymnastic streamers on Shabbas ( the mom got them for wedding shtick & they are fun.) ages 5-15. It seems to be a current fad. Also were playing with hula hoops for a while.

Sometimes they play kick ball.

On friday night my husband has engaged all kids in the 9-11- 13-15 age range in games of cards. Once they learn the games, they play hearts, Prez, and variations on poker on their own.

The older group also likes more complicated board games, though they will need a space where they can spread it out & not have it disturbed by little ones- & if possible they like to keep it going for a few days-- older games like Monopoly & stratego, & then others like Risk & Settlers of Catan. Maybe Little Madge or other game-ers will pipe up with some more interesting game suggestions?

My 15 yo has remarked that one of the things that makes her school good is that it is a "food school" -- that is, there are often food and meals out for activites. I think food and giving the older ones space to be on their own goes a long way to making home a place they want to be.

I agree about popcorn-- we have an air popper. Also being easy about allowing sleep overs, & not trying to clean up the house too much or worry what they will do --- letting them cook some on their own, letting them stay up late with their friends.

Tablepoetry

Post Fri, Oct 02 2015, 7:03 am
Skateboard, rollerskates, scooter, even inside the house if you have the space.
My dds that age played a lot of rough and tumble, tag, hid their stuffed animals all around the house.
Some girls like barbies and playmobile up till age nine. My youngest doesnt but her friends all do, so they play that often.
As they get older I let them have free reign in the kitchen, to make chocolate balls and the like (and to bake).
As others said, lots of crafts, paper, stickers, etc.
How long are her friends hanging out at her place? After a couple of hours kids tend to get bored regardless.
Oh, and theres nothing wrong with having a movie day once in a while, I too always add popcorn.
Others may not like this....but my kids have free reign to the goodie cabinet, and always treat their friends to some junk.

Queen6

Post Fri, Oct 02 2015, 8:13 am
Lock up your TV, DVD, IPad..... Your house can't be fun with kids glued to a screen all day.
Do a shopping in a local craft store and then at the toy store. They will be able to help you with age appropriate games.
This is more work for you since it makes messes, needs guidance...., but what a gift you will be giving your children. They need these skills. Their heads are turning to mush when they're staring at a screen.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children