Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
3 year old doesn't want to eat by himself

israeli83

Post Fri, Oct 02 2015, 5:11 pm
My almost three year old doesn't want to feed himself, he always wants me to feed him! I don't know if this has anything to do with me being with the baby and if he just wants more attention. One morning, he cried for nearly an hour because I told him he has to eat the yogurt by himself. He doesn't mind eating ice cream in a cup by himself...so I told him yogurt is like the ice cream. But he gave me a hard time. I didn't give in and he FINALLY ate by himself. I know he can eat by himself, but sometimes he doesn't like it when he gets dirty. So today he suddenly told me again that he doesn't want to feed himself. I would have let him cry out again, but I was rushing to get them to school (also, it's his first year in nursery school). So any suggestions as to how to handle this?

seeker

Post Sat, Oct 03 2015, 9:18 pm
It's a phase. Not worth fighting over. Sometimes people like to be babied a little. Do it when you can and it will pass soon. When you can't stop what you're doing to feed him just act preoccupied, tell him if he needs you to feed him he'll have to wait until you're available, he'll probably just do it himself instead.

tweety1

Post Sat, Oct 03 2015, 9:44 pm
My sil had it with her first (now 12) her pediatrician told her to not give in and have her feed herself. So my sil said the kid won't eat but will rather stay hungry. She said to insist. It won't last more than a few days. She did so. The first 2-3 days were TORTURE but after a week the problem was gone
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics