Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Do you think this was a strange thing to say

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 7:45 am
I was in this class, and the teacher was talking about the work that we have to complete in this document that we have. It was the last class before a few weeks break, so she was explaining what we have to do over the break. Then she goes "basically something has to be filled out, I don't want anyone coming back and handing in a completely virginal pad".

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 9:14 am
amother wrote:
I was in this class, and the teacher was talking about the work that we have to complete in this document that we have. It was the last class before a few weeks break, so she was explaining what we have to do over the break. Then she goes "basically something has to be filled out, I don't want anyone coming back and handing in a completely virginal pad".

Stop picking at your teacher. What is the matter with you? She either made a mistake or was trying to relate. You got the picture of what she wants so it worked. She teaches to the majority of her class and not you alone.

Teaching is a hard profession that doesn't pay well and it is not enchanced by nitpickers like you.

SRS

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 9:23 am
Virginal means untouched. I'm not quite sure what was strange given that it is a word that has a meaning and was used appropriately. So get to work!

chani8

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 9:35 am
It bothered you, obviously. So, why do *you* think she used that term? I can only suppose she was trying to be crudely humorous.

newmom1987

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 9:40 am
it's not crude at all. Like SRS said, it just means untouched.

newmom1987

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 9:44 am
for example, a ship's first trip, usually called a maiden voyage, can also be called a virgin voyage. Hey, Imamothers, reading literature will enhance your vocabulary, your ability to communicate, and your mind.

Imogen

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 10:41 am
newmom1987 wrote:
for example, a ship's first trip, usually called a maiden voyage, can also be called a virgin voyage. Hey, Imamothers, reading literature will enhance your vocabulary, your ability to communicate, and your mind.

Yes!

SRS

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 10:44 am
newmom1987 wrote:
Hey, Imamothers, reading literature will enhance your vocabulary, your ability to communicate, and your mind.

Amen! Also listen to great speakers past and present.

lucky14

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 12:26 pm
extra virgin olive oil anyone? It just means pure, untouched.

zaq

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 1:52 pm
"virgin wool" has nothing to do with the sheep's s*xual status. It means the wool is brand new and has never been used, as opposed to "reused wool" and "reprocessed wool" which are of lower quality. Not everyone's mind is in the gutter.

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 2:28 pm
Before I was frum, I got a masters at the University of Judaism (now American Jewish University). Very left wingy place. One of the RABBIS (!!) teaching liturgy told us that our papers should be like a women's skirt. Long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to make it interesting. I still giggle at that.

Best to let everything professors say roll off your back--- don't take offense-- just do the work and get the degree. Or in my case, I should have dropped out (but not because of that---- just because I didn't realize I wouldn't be USING my degree).

zaq

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 2:43 pm
A Bais Yaakov teacher might have said "immaculate" "impeccable" "untouched" "empty" "blank""spotless" or any of a host of other synonyms, but Jews make up less than 2 percent of the US population, and Orthodox Jews make up only 10% of that 2%. Your professors are not going to tailor their speech to 0.2% of the population (unless they are militant Muslims who might well slaughter them for a perceived offense). If you're going to study in a secular institution, you'd better get used to the way the other 99.8 % of the population talks.

Jeanette

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 2:51 pm
It's like the word "niggardly" becoming a taboo word in our culture because of ignorant people totally clueless about etymology.

SRS

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 3:13 pm
zaq wrote:
A Bais Yaakov teacher might have said "immaculate" "impeccable" "untouched" "empty" "blank""spotless" or any of a host of other synonyms, but Jews make up less than 2 percent of the US population, and Orthodox Jews make up only 10% of that 2%. Your professors are not going to tailor their speech to 0.2% of the population (unless they are militant Muslims who might well slaughter them for a perceived offense). If you're going to study in a secular institution, you'd better get used to the way the other 99.8 % of the population talks.

Not knowing what type of document this is, I am starting to see the word choice as an interesting one, perhaps quite nuanced and likely an accurate assessment of the type of work that the prof gets from her classes regularly. The professor doesn't get blank documents back in response to the assignment. But the professor probably gets a lot of useless work that lacks depth. The dictionary definition is "being, relating to, or appropriate for a virgin" so the prof was saying, don't bring something that is devoid the vivid content I'm looking for. Virgin can mean untouched. Virginal can allude to a certain masquerade.

OP, what are you studying?

trixx

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 3:17 pm
Sounds like your professor is smart

kenz

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 4:58 pm
OP asked an honest question and she's being treated like a narrow-minded troll. Why can't everyone just respond without all the belittling?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics