Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
S/o of having less kids...
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 11:54 am
Laiya wrote:
I think this would be true in some locales, less so in others. Or the adjustment period would be longer than reasonable. Why do public schools spend avg. $18,000 per year per student? Because of bloat, waste, bureaucracy, etc.

But you're probably right that it wouldn't happen.

Although there is some bureaucracy in public schools, the reality is that it costs $18,000 or more on average to educate a child. Secular private schools and good MO schools spend far more per pupil as reflected in tuition. To the extent that costs in many Jewish schools is less than that, it is because teachers are not paid a "living" wage and there aren't programs which many educators feel are helpful. And of course, that's an average figure which means that it also takes into account the actual cost to educate more "expensive" students.

The benefit to public school systems of an influx of middle class, non problematic students with concerned parents far outweighs what it would cost to educate those students or any momentary demographic bumps. The school systems generally receive aid from the Federal and State based on number of pupils so additional money would come into the public school system.

Public schools in most places would welcome an influx of frum students - or other comparable students now in private schools because they would be attached to parents who would care very much about the schools and work to make them better. It's not so clear in a place like NYC where the schools are supported largely by a commercial tax base but in suburbs or small towns, having people whose children are being educated in schools supported by property tax generally means that the schools are supported more generously because people have a vested interest in them - or they have a vested interest in property values which are generally higher in areas which have excellent public schools. Also, individual schools benefit from parental involvement which is more common in areas with middle class/upper middle class people.

And since Judaism is a minority religion, one should be careful what one wishes for. The First Amendment which prevents government support of religious institutions in this area also provides protection for the right to practice one's religion. I am over-simplifying since there are areas in which religious institutions are given "breaks" (I.e. tax exemptions or some type of aid for private school students that is non-religious) and also areas in which one can't claim your religion gives you free rein (I.e. polygamy).

Laiya

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 12:06 pm
Squishy wrote:
You can channel the tzeduka where it is needed. One diamond eternity band for a bar mitzvah moma can educate 3 children for a year. No one woke up and decided to give the mama the band. They were asked.

I think the very large majority of the people would give money to educate Jewish children rather than give to support ridiculous conspicuous consumption especially with their massur money.

The burden needs to be spread.

It can't be that someone else with a pedigree and experience won't come up with the idea to start a school without scholarships. I would find such a partner if I had young children because that school could skim those that are forced to support the rest and are struggling precisely because of that reason.

Are you saying the mamas should be asking dh to give money to schools, rather than buying them jewelry?

Maybe so, but again, how can the community or its leadership compel this?

Amarante

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 12:23 pm
Laiya wrote:
Are you saying the mamas should be asking dh to give money to schools, rather than buying them jewelry?

Maybe so, but again, how can the community or its leadership compel this?

I am not the poster but, based on other threads, there seems to be charity asked for expensive items of conspicuous consumption.

People seem divided as many want their support used for worthier stuff like education or real needs for the poor like food, shelter, utilities since however you calculate, there is a finite amount of money and so if you use charitable contributions for expensive discretionary items, there is less to support items that should be given higher priority like education.

Others feel that charity should be used for expensive clothing or jewelry so the recipient fits in with the more affluent members of the community. Others who take no charity and don't buy expensive consumer goods for their family feel this is a waste and feel slightly repelled by the value system which endorses consumer consumption.

I don't think anyone feels someone who can afford nice things should live like a pauper and give all their money to charity.

Laiya

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 12:42 pm
Thanks for explaining Amarante. I wasn't realizing that she was saying the infinity ring is given to tzedakah, so people should be able to feel they "fit in". shock

fleetwood

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 12:53 pm
I have to say I am honestly baffled. How can a couple have more children when they cannot afford to feed or cloth them?Am I wrong for saying this is absolute insanity??? Nuts!!And btw when I get to heaven at 120 maybe I will ask why I had miscarriages, or why I was only able to have two girls when I tried for years to have more?? Honestly, this discussion is truly baffling to me!

SRS

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 1:27 pm
Laiya wrote:
I think this would be true in some locales, less so in others. Or the adjustment period would be longer than reasonable. Why do public schools spend avg. $18,000 per year per student? Because of bloat, waste, bureaucracy, etc.

But you're probably right that it wouldn't happen.

Pensions, Unions, Special Education, Bloat, Waste, Smaller Classrooms, Districts that are too large, Districts that are too small, funding universal pre-K versus not, busing kids around. . . and then things just cost and until you've been inside a school budget, you would not even realize just how much. . .insurance, payroll taxes, unemployment premiums, janitorial supplies, utilities, legal. . .

Now regarding spending, the US average is about 11K per kid and most states are right around that average. The outliers are mostly schools with small populations and a large state (Wyoming and Alaksa) or your East Coast Schools (Mass, NY, NJ, Vermont, Rhode Island, Connecticut, District of Columbia) and I can't speak for each state in that high cost list, but New York funds has a lot of districts and pours a ton into special ed and private schools despite complaints . . . . .

Frum schools are averaging about what public schools are and above in many cases without spending nearly what public schools are on staffing, without sports and vocational programs. . . just something to think about in my opinion (and I believe government is the last place you look for when it comes to efficiency).

You can look up state spending. It varies a lot by state and it is not at all indicative of performance. Utah spending just over $6500 while New York is nearly $20,000 per student. That is a wide range. But most schools are still closer to the 11K.

Kugglegirl

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 2:33 pm
regarding how Lakewood funds the schools, I know for a fact that the boys' system goes for outside fundraising. The Lakewood Cheder rep comes to my door once a year to ask for my $$$. So they are not all "paying their own way."

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 4:12 pm
Kugglegirl wrote:
regarding how Lakewood funds the schools, I know for a fact that the boys' system goes for outside fundraising. The Lakewood Cheder rep comes to my door once a year to ask for my $$$. So they are not all "paying their own way."

That's ok IMO because they are not limiting their efforts to parents who have to pay their own tuition. It is the burden of subsidizing the majority of students on a few shoulders that I object to.

None of us want to limit our lives to pay our bills although it is the responsible thing to do. When we end up limiting our own lives to pay the bill for others who don't have similar restraints, it is particularly galling.

sourstix

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 4:19 pm
btw woman dont have a chiyuv of having children. its the mens mitzva. so they are dependant on us. but if you cant handle it then you cant. thats my opinion. I dont think hashem wants us to just have kids and not be responsible for them. responsible means diff things to diff people. I think this is a discussion that will never end. its a loaded question. do the best you can thats what hashem wants from us. we are in a generation of physically and mentally/emotionally weak people. and so we need to exercize caution before we do something as hard as having more children. I dont know if g-d will punish me for not having more. I think g-d wants me to do the best I can. noones business what that means. its between me and g-d

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Oct 05 2015, 1:56 pm
youngishbear wrote:
Your husband is the one who has the mitzvah, and in his case obviously he is exempt. You are a true ezer kenegdo and eshes chayil. No need for any excuses or explanations, and Hashem knows His cheshbon better than any amother.

Thank you, but that wasn't my point. What if I were the one who was infertile? My point was, as I said, no one can know why someone has the number of children they have (or don't have) and, I quite agree, random amothers don't know the cheshbon!

imasoftov

Post Mon, Oct 05 2015, 10:39 pm
amother wrote:
what will you answer Hashem (after 120) when you will be asked why you didn't want the other neshamos that were destined to be yours?

"Since you didn't tell me how many that was, this is a case of 'hanistarot la-Hashem Elokeinu'" (Devarim 29:28)

DrMom

Post Tue, Oct 06 2015, 2:31 am
Quote:
TwinsMommy wrote:
Quote:
we're doing public school AND we're done at one boy and one girl, so we're doing both. Not happy about it, though.

what will you answer Hashem (after 120) when you will be asked why you didn't want the other neshamos that were destined to be yours?

How about: We followed our rav's interpretation of Your Torah faithfully.

Laiya

Post Tue, Oct 06 2015, 11:12 pm
amother wrote:
Although there is some bureaucracy in public schools, the reality is that it costs $18,000 or more on average to educate a child. Secular private schools and good MO schools spend far more per pupil as reflected in tuition. To the extent that costs in many Jewish schools is less than that, it is because teachers are not paid a "living" wage and there aren't programs which many educators feel are helpful. And of course, that's an average figure which means that it also takes into account the actual cost to educate more "expensive" students.

The benefit to public school systems of an influx of middle class, non problematic students with concerned parents far outweighs what it would cost to educate those students or any momentary demographic bumps. The school systems generally receive aid from the Federal and State based on number of pupils so additional money would come into the public school system.

Public schools in most places would welcome an influx of frum students - or other comparable students now in private schools because they would be attached to parents who would care very much about the schools and work to make them better. It's not so clear in a place like NYC where the schools are supported largely by a commercial tax base but in suburbs or small towns, having people whose children are being educated in schools supported by property tax generally means that the schools are supported more generously because people have a vested interest in them - or they have a vested interest in property values which are generally higher in areas which have excellent public schools. Also, individual schools benefit from parental involvement which is more common in areas with middle class/upper middle class people.

And since Judaism is a minority religion, one should be careful what one wishes for. The First Amendment which prevents government support of religious institutions in this area also provides protection for the right to practice one's religion. I am over-simplifying since there are areas in which religious institutions are given "breaks" (I.e. tax exemptions or some type of aid for private school students that is non-religious) and also areas in which one can't claim your religion gives you free rein (I.e. polygamy).

There are aprx. 250,000 non-public school students in NYC; double that in NY State. At $20,000 per student, if only the NYC students were to enroll in public schools, that would cost the city an additional $5 billion. Jewish students in NYC comprise 95,000. So even if only the Jewish students were to enroll in public schools, it would still cost the city an additional $1.9 billion.

How much additional federal or state funding would cover that sum? Obviously no one can answer that, but I imagine there would be a shortfall.

Regardless, I know it’ll never happen. Sad

I disagree with you regarding First Amendment issues. The argument is not that the government should sponsor religious instruction, but that citizens should not be forced to sponsor other children's education from which their own children receive no benefit.

5mom

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 1:07 am
Laiya wrote:

I disagree with you regarding First Amendment issues. The argument is not that the government should sponsor religious instruction, but that citizens should not be forced to sponsor other children's education from which their own children receive no benefit.

You pay for a fire department even if you've never had a fire. Childless people pay school taxes. We look for the greater good for the society as a whole. Having an educated population benefits us all, so everyone has to chip in.

As far as religious instruction, the frum community is far too invested in the notion that government ought to pay. This is incredibly short sighted. There's a good reason for separation of church and state. Do you really want your tax dollars going to fund ISIS day schools? They have as much claim as yeshivas do.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 1:40 am
moonstone wrote:
What a disgusting comment. How dare you ask such a thing, you self- righteous *****?

ChillPill Take it easy ! It doesn't pay getting worked up.

SRS

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 1:46 am
Laiya wrote:
There are aprx. 250,000 non-public school students in NYC; double that in NY State. At $20,000 per student, if only the NYC students were to enroll in public schools, that would cost the city an additional $5 billion. Jewish students in NYC comprise 95,000. So even if only the Jewish students were to enroll in public schools, it would still cost the city an additional $1.9 billion.

How much additional federal or state funding would cover that sum? Obviously no one can answer that, but I imagine there would be a shortfall.

This type of math is very elementary and leads to the conclusion you want, but isn't based in reality. You ignore fixed and variable costs. You ignore that the most expensive to educate students are already being covered by public funds. You ignore that there are very heavily frum areas that are not operating at optimal because the public schools are not populated appropriately.

There are plenty of arguments for vouchers. But it is high time to depart with this silliness that school district x, y, or z will just throw vouchers at private school parents because they won't be able to manage the influx is just silliness.

youngishbear

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 1:52 am
amother wrote:
Thank you, but that wasn't my point. What if I were the one who was infertile? My point was, as I said, no one can know why someone has the number of children they have (or don't have) and, I quite agree, random amothers don't know the cheshbon!

That would be a different issue halachically. A very very painful one.

But you are right that it is nobody's business but Hashem's, and He keeps the books for His business, so that's that.

SRS

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 2:00 am
Laiya wrote:

I see frum people constantly try to pull the card out, but at the same time complain that grandparents, who have paid their own children's way through yeshivas, should be doing more for frum schools today.

I believe that majority of taxpayers for the majority of their taxpaying years will not see direct benefit from their taxpaying dollars. Let's make a little example. A couple marries straight out of college (age 22) and starts paying income taxes and property taxes in the same year (they buy a starter condo with gifts from parents). At age 25, they start a family (2 kids-US fertility rate is 1.9- 2 years apart). From age 30 until 50 they have at least one child in public school. At age 85 and no longer pay property tax or income tax.

For 63 years they paid income and property tax. They had at least one child in public school for a period of 20 years. So 70% of their tax paying years, they were "forced to sponsor other children's education from which their own children receive no benefit."

No, this is not a solid argument for vouchers. Not at all.

Friends, if vouchers is your thing and you want to make the case for vouchers, think about the case you want to make! There are many good arguments for either vouchers or for the money following the child, but much of what I see presented as a convincing argument for vouchers is only convincing in the echo chamber.

m in Israel

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 2:06 am
Laiya wrote:

Your math is faulty. When the statistics say a district spends $20,000 per student, it doesn't mean that the cost of adding an additional child is $20,000! That number means that if you take the total budget and divide it by the number of students, it is X amount per student. But the vast majority of those costs do not increase exponentially according to the number of students. A principal's salary doesn't change if the school enrollment increases by 15% -- buildings don't cost significantly more to maintain if they are partially full or totally full, etc. If anything, the overall cost per student goes down as the fixed expenses are spread out over more students (I.e. a teacher with 25 students in her class is more "expensive" than one with 35 students).

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 2:47 am
m in Israel wrote:
Your math is faulty. When the statistics say a district spends $20,000 per student, it doesn't mean that the cost of adding an additional child is $20,000! That number means that if you take the total budget and divide it by the number of students, it is X amount per student. But the vast majority of those costs do not increase exponentially according to the number of students. A principal's salary doesn't change if the school enrollment increases by 15% -- buildings don't cost significantly more to maintain if they are partially full or totally full, etc. If anything, the overall cost per student goes down as the fixed expenses are spread out over more students (I.e. a teacher with 25 students in her class is more "expensive" than one with 35 students).

This. The first student costs the most- every student after that decreases the per student cost, until you need another teacher, classroom etc. Plus, so many kids get services through the PS system. Evaluations, therapies etc...Even if they don't go to the school. Does that count into their budget? What about the super expensive kids- those in high needs classrooms, the teachers that work in hospitals, in prisons etc- are those counted? Prison teachers probably get "hazard pay". I know an ill child who gets a public school teacher to come to her house. In NY. Too sick to go to school and it's a long term issue. That teacher gets a salary but only teaches one at a time. And has travel time costs, down time...
The average kid doesn't cost 20,000.
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics