Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Blender that's easier to clean?

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 1:24 am
I would make smoothies more often if my blender weren't always waiting to be washed. It's not exactly hard to clean, I'm just that lazy/preoccupied/behind in housework. The bottom needs to be unscrewed, the blade taken out, and the pitcher washed which isn't so hard and the cover which is also not hard exactly but a bit of a pain. Then after it dries you put back the blade and the bottom and the cover. So no big deal but somehow it just serves as a smoothie deterrent pretty often. It's like "I just made a smoothie earlier/yesterday, not ready to do it again." or "I want a berry snack type smoothie so no I guess the kids won't be having a healthy banana peanut butter smoothie with supper today."

If you have a super-simple self-cleaning (ok jk) blender to recommend, that works well for smoothies including ice (my hand/stick blender is easy shmeasy to clean but can't make a smoothie) not too expensive, small size is fine (for now, I only occasionally serve the same smoothie to the whole family, some of whom are small) please share!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 1:40 am
Can you crush ice in your blender, freeze in baggies, and then take out from the freezer to make smoothies with your immersion blender?

You'll only have to dry the blender after using it for the ice.

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 1:46 am
I don't think my immersion blender can handle smoothies even with pre-crushed ice, and I don't think that would work anyway because it would get all liquidy when I blend it so it would freeze into a solid block. I've only used the immersion blender for things like salad dressings and soups where the ingredients were already cooked very soft. Maybe I can experimentally see what it would do with berries or bananas but I'm not too optimistic. I could spring for a newer better one if I have some assurance that it could do smoothies, but I'm pretty sure you need a real blender for that.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 1:48 am
I wish I could help! Most blenders and food processors are a bit of a pain to clean.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 1:55 am
http://www.thekitchn.com/how-t.....00776

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 9:55 am
Ninja Master Prep http://amzn.to/1KZonmw -- blade isn't attached to the bottom, the bottom can't leak -- wide pitcher that may only need rinsing, very lightweight, blade goes in like a food processor blade on a stalk and it's tall so it blends not just on the bottom...you push the button on top for a few seconds (like pulsing on a FP) and done!

Happy18

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 12:14 pm
ra_mom wrote:
http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-clean-a-blender-in-30-seconds-without-taking-it-apart-first-cleaning-lessons-from-the-kitchn-200776

I do that. Cleans beautifully.

nicole81

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 12:20 pm
the vitamix is great and easy to clean, but you may not want to spend that much on a blender!

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 12:27 pm
Right, not looking for vitamix pricing but thanks for trying Wink

I've heard of the blender cleaning "trick" but never actually tried it because I'm skeptical about it actually getting the yogurty smoothie gook out from under/around/between the blades. But I guess I should first give it a good try and see how it does.

trixx

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 3:02 pm
I clean my single serve blender cups by filling with hot water and soap and blend for a few minutes, it's amazing. Never tried on larger appliance but don't see why wouldn't work

Smile1234

Post Mon, Oct 05 2015, 2:33 pm
I put soap and water into my blender and turn it on for a few seconds... Then give it a quick once over in the sink. Try that and report back if it works for your blender...

Iymnok

Post Mon, Oct 05 2015, 4:52 pm
I use an immersion blender for milkshakes. Frozen bananas, milk and flavorings. Never had a problem.

etky

Post Tue, Oct 06 2015, 12:42 am
I read recently on FB that the blender's rubber gasket is frequently one of the germiest items in the kitchen b/c people don't always disassemble that part of the blender to wash and dry it properly.
Even a tiny amount of bacteria leaking out from there can contaminate the contents in the container.

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 06 2015, 10:21 pm
etky wrote:
I read recently on FB that the blender's rubber gasket is frequently one of the germiest items in the kitchen b/c people don't always disassemble that part of the blender to wash and dry it properly.
Even a tiny amount of bacteria leaking out from there can contaminate the contents in the container.

That's what I'm afraid of. Does the soap and water in the blender thing address that?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars