Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
What town in Israel is like this..?
Previous  1  2

LisaS

Post Sat, Oct 03 2015, 2:46 pm
I didn't read the other replies but Mevo Horon fits the bill. Several disabled children and adults live here, and a few ramps have been added where needed. Carlebach shul, although not really outreach as everyone is frum.

ora_43

Post Sat, Oct 03 2015, 2:50 pm
Tablepoetry wrote:
Stay away from Jerusalem and Tzfat- very hilly. Haifa is pretty hilly too.

Haifa itself is hilly but I was thinking if she had an option there, somewhere in the krayot might be an option.

Kiryat Ata has a large-ish frum population and there are houses for sale there for under 1.5 million shekel. I don't know it well enough to be sure how the sidewalks are.

Isramom8

Post Sat, Oct 03 2015, 3:05 pm
Raanana is relatively flat, and most public buildings are handicap accessible. You can find apartments with elevators that accommodate wheelchairs. You can also find houses, but not for cheap. There are schools for kids with disabilities. Most parents are fussy with schools because they want their child's specific needs to be the school's specialty, so there are no guarantees that any particular city will be where you want your child to be educated. However, transportation for special education students is normally provided. It's a mixed city (secular and religious) known for tolerance.

*spelling edit

Last edited by Isramom8 on Sat, Oct 03 2015, 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Oct 03 2015, 3:27 pm
Having spent 4 months in Alyn, I can tell you that I've seen hasaot coming and going to the school there every day. Alyn is an amazing place and nothing in the country compares to it, but you don't have to live nearby for your son to go there. (And it is in Kiryat Yovel, as a previous poster stated.)

amother
Salmon

Post Sat, Oct 03 2015, 3:58 pm
Please think very very carefully before making aaliyah. The yeshivish (chareidi) society can be a nightmare here for BT's. And that can haunt your children through acceptances to school, high school, shidduchim, job offers, etc. Yichus and money are pretty much everything in the chareidi sector. It can really hurt your ahavas yisrael and self esteem. Jerusalem and the surrounding chareidi areas have major child safety issues right now that are nowhere near getting resolved. Even if you speak hebrew, the culture here is extremely hard to relate to.
The cost of an apartment of the size you mentioned (5 rooms) here is like 3 houses in the midwest. That includes buying over the green line.

Sanguine

Post Sat, Oct 03 2015, 6:14 pm
amother wrote:
Please think very very carefully before making aaliyah. The yeshivish (chareidi) society can be a nightmare here for BT's. And that can haunt your children through acceptances to school, high school, shidduchim, job offers, etc. Yichus and money are pretty much everything in the chareidi sector. It can really hurt your ahavas yisrael and self esteem. Jerusalem and the surrounding chareidi areas have major child safety issues right now that are nowhere near getting resolved. Even if you speak hebrew, the culture here is extremely hard to relate to.
The cost of an apartment of the size you mentioned (5 rooms) here is like 3 houses in the midwest. That includes buying over the green line.
You are very bitter about life here. I'm not Yeshivish (chareidi) like you're talking about, but I do agree that OP needs to do a lot of research before making Aliya (What sort of jobs are she and her husband planning on getting?). There are many women on this site that are chareidi or Yeshivhish and are happy here in Israel. I'd like to hear if other women agree with you. Maybe it's a BT thing and none of them are and you're right. But your anger at life in Israel is just yours (and some others too, but not the majority)

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Oct 03 2015, 6:31 pm
amother wrote:

Which Chareidi israel do you live in? It's not that way where I live.. there are SOME issues but for the most part it is okay.. and FYI I have family living in Midwest that might have gotten their home for cheap but they are still struggling BIG with money .. they barely make ends meet if at all.

November

Post Sat, Oct 03 2015, 8:07 pm
LisaS wrote:
I didn't read the other replies but Mevo Horon fits the bill. Several disabled children and adults live here, and a few ramps have been added where needed. Carlebach shul, although not really outreach as everyone is frum.

When we went to visit Mevo Horon, it struck us as very Israeli and not really a place for the "typical" American Baalei Teshuva. I like the idea of RBS for this family.

LisaS

Post Tue, Oct 06 2015, 2:53 pm
November wrote:
When we went to visit Mevo Horon, it struck us as very Israeli and not really a place for the "typical" American Baalei Teshuva. I like the idea of RBS for this family.

The anglo community is 20 out of 400 families, so you are right that it is very Israeli and not the place for the typical US family. But they don't sound like they are looking for the typical fit. The nice thing about a small anglo presence is that everyone fits in as they are, and don't need to fit the mold, the school, the dresscode, etc. It's kind of like out of town living.

Not at all pushing Mevo Horon, just saying that it sometimes attracts the atypical.

out-of-towner

Post Tue, Oct 06 2015, 10:28 pm
I was once in Moshav Bait Chylkeia, which seemed may fit your criteria. I don't live in Israel, but maybe someone else can chime in. I spent a Shabbos there and it seemed to be a friendly and inviting place, it was very flat and the houses were very nice.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions