Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Gluten Free 101

seeker

Post Thu, Oct 08 2015, 1:05 am
(3rd new thread tonight. Don't even ask! Getting in shape here Wink )

Really want to try a GF diet for the whole family. 6 week experiment. Different reasons for me, DH, and one DD, and with 3/4 already on board little DD is going to come along for the ride. But I am going to need a lot of guts, I don't know how to do this!

1. How do I deal with DD school lunches? How do I approach it with her, with the school? I am thinking a big prize for cooperation but I'm worried that even with that it will be hard for her. What do I send for lunch? She LOVES when they serve macaroni and cheese, and they have some variation on pasta or grilled cheese practically every day or two. (Dairy elimination is also on my wishlist but I think we're going to try the gluten first.) This is going to be hard and sad, whatever I send had better be good, in addition to filling and nutritious and packable and able to survive 4 or so hours in a backpack.

2. Where is best to buy GF products on a budget? I don't plan on buying a whole lot of substitute goods but I imagine I will need some. And I will want some flour substitutes for occasional home baking. I bet this is going to be expensive and labor-intensive. Please educate me on how to make it less so!

3. Anyone have a really good challah recipe?

4. I've heard that some people with gluten intolerance don't do well with the "gluten free" cheerios and some are fine with it. If we're doing an initial experiment to try to determine whether gluten is a health trigger around here, do we need to avoid those things that claim to be gluten free but are suspect?

Please post all your GF diet tips and chizuk! Especially with regard to affording this, because without the usual bread and pasta fillers I bet everyone is going to be eating a lot more healthy but expensive proteins and produce! But we have just too many symptoms to ignore. Argh.

LittleDucky

Post Thu, Oct 08 2015, 1:09 am
Don't know much about GF but I did read recently that not all GF Cheerios are really GF. It was a recall notice for those with allergies. There was some contamination or something of that nature. Maybe that is the culprit of the mixed results?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen