Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
How scammy is this? Gift card offered via Craigslist

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 11:04 pm
As you very well know (lol) I have a bunch of stuff up on Craigslist (on and off, when I remember to re-post what doesn't go.) Someone emailed me offering a gift card from a retail chain store in exchange for one of the big-ticket items I posted. The (purported) gift card value is far more than I would have expected to get for the item. Person says they need the stroller more than the giftcard so don't care that it's double my asking price. I don't really have use for quite that much gift card either but if it's legit I would be willing to take it in exchange for the far bulkier item I'm trying to sell, and whatever I don't use I could try to barter onward. The offerer says they can show the original receipt and I can check the serial number online. I could theoretically meet in a nice full public starbucks or something where I can check online on the spot. I'm just skeptical about the whole thing, especially since the supposed gift card is so much more than my asking price. What do y'all think? Am I being taken for a ride?

rachel6543

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 11:20 pm
Sounds like a scam. I would tell the person, cash only. There are legit websites where that person can sell the gift card to get cash back.

doctorima

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 11:22 pm
It sounds too good to be true, and there are too many scammers out there on CL, so I'd pass. If you want to do it, I would insist on meeting them in the store from which the gift card is issued (e.g. Staples) and have customer service verify that it's legit and active with the balance it's supposed to have.

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 11:31 pm
That's a good idea to go to the store, doctorima! Not the world's most practical (due to location and the bulkiness of the item for sale) but if I don't get any other offers maybe I'll go for it.

wifeandmore

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 11:34 pm
seeker wrote:
That's a good idea to go to the store, doctorima! Not the world's most practical (due to location and the bulkiness of the item for sale) but if I don't get any other offers maybe I'll go for it.

Give the item to a gmach before giving it to this person for free
Yes it's 100% scam

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 11:53 pm
Kind of weird though, it's obviously not an item with significant resale value considering that I've been trying to unload it on craigslist for a while... oh well, will keep waiting for a more normal offer. sigh.

wifeandmore

Post Thu, Oct 08 2015, 12:20 am
If you're in NY, post on the Facebook group "lookin for"

trixx

Post Thu, Oct 08 2015, 2:17 am
I don't think it's a scam.. maybe I'm too naive. Check the receipt and the barcode, if it matches up then I would go for it. but then again if they keep a copy of the number they can max it out by purchasing online

saw50st8

Post Thu, Oct 08 2015, 7:38 am
Call the store and ask if you can use a gift card to buy another gift card. If so, meet at the store, do that and then you'll be fine.

What the person will probably do is "sell" it to you and then turn around and buy things before you can use it.

Or tell them to sell their gift card on raise.com and pay you what you want.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics