Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Communities in Staten Island?

amother
Green

Post Thu, Oct 08 2015, 10:16 am
I've heard of Willowbrook near Bradley Ave. Is there any other religious communities in Staten Island?

I want to move out of Boro Park but I am looking for a smaller community. I am afraid of getting 'lost' in a large community.

doctorima

Post Thu, Oct 08 2015, 11:27 am
The other major Jewish community in Staten Island is called Eltingville. It's more yeshivish than Willowbrook, but it's also much smaller - mostly just the kollel families - and also much farther away from Brooklyn. It's near the Outerbridge and would be a much harder daily commute for kids in Brooklyn schools. Many Chassidim have been moving to Willowbrook lately. There's also the Yeshiva of SI community, but it's really only for families affiliated with the yeshiva.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Oct 08 2015, 1:19 pm
Willowbrook is a small close knit community. We've recently had many families from Boro park moving in. People are warm and friendly.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Oct 08 2015, 3:47 pm
amother wrote:
Willowbrook is a small close knit community. We've recently had many families from Boro park moving in. People are warm and friendly.
I would love to hear more about the Willowbrook community. Are the chassidim who moved there from Boro Park happy?

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Oct 08 2015, 5:38 pm
I believe the chassidim moving in are very happy.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Oct 08 2015, 6:42 pm
I know a few families that moved there from BP. They said the community is very nice and warm. They have a shuttle to BP and back and someone is opening a big kosher supermarket.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Oct 08 2015, 6:46 pm
The families that I know that moved to Staten Island - say that they're really happy. I know a few more families that bought houses and are moving in the next few months. To me it seems like they do everything in Boro Park and go home at the end of the day.

boymom

Post Thu, Oct 08 2015, 6:56 pm
not all are happy there- in willowbrook. one man in shul was bragging how amazing it is but then in the quiet he told some others that his wife and kids are miserable. (he's never there- always in Brooklyn) they are your average chassidish pple and they don't have company there, as in her kids are having a hard time socially with the other children there.
I also keep on hearing that sooo many chassidim are going there. my workmate just told me that tons of gerrers and belzers are moving there. so I verified with a gerre and belze neighbors of mine, and the gerre claims theres hardly a minyan of gerrers there, and the belze one said, that very few belze bought and they are not your typical belze. go figure.

but I have heard from others that its a nice warm community.

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Oct 09 2015, 9:59 am
We "real chassidim" from Williamsburg are considering staten island but am also afraid of the change. Im trying to find out what kind of chassidim are going... I do want my children to have friends that are their type so they can have a good time socailly. Ive heard that those looking to run away from their chassidus are going to staten island, is that so??? If so this place is not made for us. My husband is a real warm chussid, with vasse zucken.... LOL. Were outgrowing our williamsburg apt, and were not typical satmar willimasburg, my husband is originally from bp and didnt ever want to hear of settling in williamsburg for good. With the prices today in williamsburg and bp we dont have too much of a choice as to look for something in any of these towns. Thats why the staten island idea sounded like something that can work... Any info???

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Oct 11 2015, 9:00 am
amother wrote:
We "real chassidim" from Williamsburg are considering staten island but am also afraid of the change. Im trying to find out what kind of chassidim are going... I do want my children to have friends that are their type so they can have a good time socailly. Ive heard that those looking to run away from their chassidus are going to staten island, is that so??? If so this place is not made for us. My husband is a real warm chussid, with vasse zucken.... LOL. Were outgrowing our williamsburg apt, and were not typical satmar willimasburg, my husband is originally from bp and didnt ever want to hear of settling in williamsburg for good. With the prices today in williamsburg and bp we dont have too much of a choice as to look for something in any of these towns. Thats why the staten island idea sounded like something that can work... Any info???

I have the same question

we are chassidish , but very ehrlich, very into halacha.
totally not into any chassidish fluff

I do NOT cover my SHORT sheitel!

Im wondering if there will be such a crowd thereā€¦??

Im not looking for runaway chassidim that go to movies and do whatever they please under their shtreimel

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Oct 11 2015, 9:37 am
I think most of the families that are moving there are ehrlich families not looking to throw everything out when they move over the bridge

Most ppl are just using si as an extension of Brooklyn though. So their kids are still in Brooklyn schools. All shopping is from Brooklyn stores etc. so if u don't already have a Brooklyn connection it will be that much harder to move.

A lot of families seem to be coming with another family member as well. SIL. BIL. etc

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Oct 11 2015, 9:42 am
Jersey City is a new option. There are tons of houses for sale for dirt cheap. It's hard to build from the ground up but I hope it's gonna work out. It's not so far from Williamsburg and great for people who work in Manhattan. And it's all accessible by public transportation. I think the first 10 families are moving out for this shabbos. a shul and a mikvah have already been built. If you wanna be a pioneer....

I know of a family who just bought a 1 family hous for $135,000!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating