Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Wedding invite
1  2  Next

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Oct 09 2015, 12:01 pm
Trying to find a cute way to invite kallas friends for the chuppa and dancing only. The seats r crazy expensive and they would not be able to afford to seat so many friends. Cute poem or something explaining it in a nice way .?
Thanks!

zaq

Post Fri, Oct 09 2015, 5:58 pm
Where do you live? In most communities in the Northeastern part of the US, sending a response card means the invite includes the meal; sending an invite with no response card means chuppah only.

In other communities, people invited to dinner get a separate card says "please join us for a reception after the ceremony", or words to that effect, and those who are invited to chuppah only don't get this card.

Ask people in the community where you are making the wedding what the local masoret is vis-a-vis chuppah-only invitations. But please, please, don't try to get cute, unless the chuppah is going to be held in an amusement park. A wedding is usually a formal occasion calling for one's finest and most formal dress. The wording and style of the invitation reflect the level of formality. If you send a cutesy invitation, the impression will be that the affair is rather informal. You don't really want the kallah's friends showing up in hoodies and sneakers, do you?

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Oct 10 2015, 3:12 pm
To my beloved friend and guest,
Could you please help me on my wedding quest?

On my most special day of my life,
The day I become my chassan's wife,
I would love for you to join my family,
To the chuppah, dancing and some tea.

I hope to see you there at four thirty,
And again at 10 to dance along with me.

Not necessary to say anything about the dinner.

Smile1234

Post Sat, Oct 10 2015, 5:03 pm
Just don't put in a response card. I've seen invitations where people added in a card with explanation that they can't invite everyone for the meal in a nice way, but it just seemed tacky to me.

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, Oct 10 2015, 7:17 pm
Thanks! Love that little poem !
It's mostly for her classmates. They will not be getting the official invitation anyway. ( they ran out of them) she wants to print out on down nice fancy paper.
The seats r for like 150-200$ per a person. The norm in the community is that ppl who come usually give some money to hell cover the cost for their seat. The young girls will not be giving anything and she can not afford to hav 30+ seats for them.

Blessing1

Post Sat, Oct 10 2015, 8:58 pm
The friends are expected to come to chuppah, then go home & come back for dancing?

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, Oct 10 2015, 9:01 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
The friends are expected to come to chuppah, then go home & come back for dancing?
Smile
no y?.

oliveoil

Post Sat, Oct 10 2015, 9:27 pm
This is bizarre. Shouldn't the kallah have her friends at her wedding?

fbc

Post Sat, Oct 10 2015, 9:29 pm
Slategray, are you saying that ppl basically pay to come to the wedding??

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, Oct 10 2015, 9:38 pm
fbc wrote:
Slategray, are you saying that ppl basically pay to come to the wedding??

I guess u can put it that way.
I knw it sounds weird to some ppl
But that is the norm in the community. Everyone does it

fbc

Post Sat, Oct 10 2015, 9:49 pm
That seems so so strange to me!! So interesting...

singleagain

Post Sat, Oct 10 2015, 10:06 pm
amother wrote:

Blessing1 wrote:

Smile
no y?.

Then what will the friends do, during the first course when family pictures are being taken?

I would suggest seeing, if you can reset the schmorg up with tables/chairs so that they won't be starving

Dandelion1

Post Sat, Oct 10 2015, 10:10 pm
If the dancing is during the dinner, I can't fathom of any possible way that you can have them there to dance without them being part of the dinner. As far as I've ever heard, you can be invited for shmorg and chuppah but not the meal. But if they are not invited for the meal, I can't imagine how they can be part of the dancing.

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, Oct 10 2015, 10:10 pm
singleagain wrote:
Then what will the friends do, during the first course when family pictures are being taken?

I would suggest seeing, if you can reset the schmorg up with tables/chairs so that they won't be starving

Oh I see what u mean
All pictures are taken before the chuppah couple takes pics all day long and family from when they arrive early to wedding
soon right after chuppa is the dancing

seeker

Post Sat, Oct 10 2015, 10:50 pm
aleph wrote:
If the dancing is during the dinner, I can't fathom of any possible way that you can have them there to dance without them being part of the dinner. As far as I've ever heard, you can be invited for shmorg and chuppah but not the meal. But if they are not invited for the meal, I can't imagine how they can be part of the dancing.

Not sure where you're from, but in both NY area and in Israel it is very common for people to come only for the dancing. Sure you can dance without sitting down to eat. You come, say mazal tov, dance a little, then leave. In Israel I saw a lot of weddings set up like a mini-smorg on the side during the dancing so the dancing-only guests would have something to munch, but not a full meal. In NY area the second dance (which is what the dancing-only invitation would usually be fore) often but not always coincides with a dessert buffet.

teddyb

Post Sun, Oct 11 2015, 12:20 am
its called being invited to the chupa and simchas chasan vkalla in my experience (tho the SCvK usually has a dessert buffet or the like).

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Oct 11 2015, 4:34 am
UK.

Chuppa, reception (all invited).

Dinner (invitees only).

Simchos chosson v'kallo - young friends return for (usually dessert of some sort and) and dancing.

pond user

Post Sun, Oct 11 2015, 4:53 am
In my town almost everyone gets an invite to the chuppah and simchas chassan vkallah. The invite states chuppah time and then mentions simchas chassan vkallah usually about 10pm. You are only invited to the dinner if you receive another little card with a dinner invite and reply card. This has been done since I can remember. In fact the main invite is posted in the local news sheet

etky

Post Sun, Oct 11 2015, 6:17 am
seeker wrote:
Not sure where you're from, but in both NY area and in Israel it is very common for people to come only for the dancing. Sure you can dance without sitting down to eat. You come, say mazal tov, dance a little, then leave. In Israel I saw a lot of weddings set up like a mini-smorg on the side during the dancing so the dancing-only guests would have something to munch, but not a full meal. In NY area the second dance (which is what the dancing-only invitation would usually be fore) often but not always coincides with a dessert buffet.

I think it really depends on the circles you belong to.
I've never in my life attended or even known of any weddings in my circle (Israeli DL) where there were different types of invitees.
I did once attend a bar mitzva like that though, in Kfar Chabad, so I know that it is the practice in some communities and places.

Dandelion1

Post Sun, Oct 11 2015, 6:50 am
seeker wrote:

Wow.... OK.... It's news to me.... I've never heard of that before..... Then what's the issue that op is having?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics