Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Please help me how to write thank you cards!

bargainlover

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 9:25 pm
For baby gifts, specifically if my whole block chipped in for a gift ...do I address the card to the wife only or the family? What if they also made dinner or shabbos food how do I add that? Thanks!

zaq

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 9:45 pm
Dear Family Lerner:

How thoughtful of you to buy us the Yessir Thats My Baby Whirligig Play Center / Income Tax Guide! Baby Yossele is already enjoying the box, which he finds delicious, and as soon as he can sit up by himself he'll be able read to me from the guide and educate us both at the same time. (How did you know we want him to become an accountant?)

I can't tell you how much Duvid and I appreciated the delicious hot home-cooked meals you sent us the week I came home. You really saved our lives. We might not have literally starved, but we would probably have eaten either nacho chips or Stella D'oro Swiss Fudge cookies three times a day! It was wonderful to know that no matter how the day went, we would eat dinner like normal, civilized people. That pampering was a wonderful thing I will never forget.

Thank you so much for everything,
Bargainlover

bargainlover

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 9:47 pm
Love that zaq! Thank you! And how would I word a thank you for gift card I didn't use yet ?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 9:50 pm
Dear Cohen family,

Thank you so much for the generous block gift and for the delicious shabbos food!

We're so excited to have little Sara wear the beautiful dress. And the potato kugel truly nourished our souls when we needed it most.

May you be blessed with Simchos always!

With gratitude,
Yitzchok and Rivka Klein and baby Sara

bargainlover

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 9:55 pm
So I should address the block card to the family even if the gift said from the ladies?

zaq

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 9:59 pm
But I haven't done what you asked, which is HELP you write TY notes. Here goes:

1. Really makes no diff if you address to the lady of the house or the family, since it was most likely she who did the cooking and/or gift choosing. If her dh participated, she will show him the card. Unlikely the kids had anything to do with it unless they are adults or at least teenage girls.

2. Mention what the gift was and how you are using or plan to use it. If you have no idea what it is or how to use it, just say you're sure the baby will enjoy it a lot. They don't have to know that the only thing the baby could figure out how to do with it is throw it against the wall. Of course if the gift is a baseball, this is pretty much the sum total of what you can do with it, short of trying to flush it down the toilet.

3. You may NOT present them with a plumber's bill if the baby does, in fact, flush it down the toilet.

4. A picture of the baby with the gift is great but not required.

5. If they sent you meals, thank them, maybe say something specific about them, like "those were the best blackened string beans I ever tasted and I will not stop noodging you till you give me the recipe."

Remember to sign your name.

Please do not write the card as if your baby were writing it. It was silly the first time somebody thought up that gimmick umpty-ump years ago and has not improved with age. Besides, the addressees are adults and not really interested in a conversation with a newborn.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 10:01 pm
I think so. If a friend buys a present I always address the thank you card to said friend and husband. They are a team and usually there was involvement from both (money, prep, dropping it off, etc).

The only time I address solely the friend, is when it's a coworker and I do not know her spouse.

zaq

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 10:09 pm
If you haven't yet used the gift, say what you plan to do with it.

Thanks for the generous check--we plan to open little Morgan Stanley (Mordechai Shimshon) a mutual fund account as soon as he gets his social security number.

We love the beautiful tallis koton and will be proud as anything when Yossele starts to wear it.

We're stunned by your gift of an original Mickey Mantle rookie card! Our own Mickey (Michoel Mendel) is a bit young to appreciate its value but we will make sure he knows when the time comes. Meantime we have secured it in a safe deposit box in Mickey's (our Mickey, not Mantle) name, until we can be sure he won't try to eat it or (G-d forbid) tear it up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette