Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Cologne for men

amother
Red

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 11:34 pm
DH says it's assur for men to wear cologne because it says in the Gemara that it's a sign of a gay man. Anyone heard that? Is he right?

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 11:39 pm
Never heard of that. Dh wears cologne on "special nights" Wink never in public though. It's just not done around here....

Volunteer

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 11:43 pm
Uhh. .. I've never heard that before. I learned that, in those days, both women and men used scented oils to anoint themselves because they only bathed once a week.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 11:46 pm
I would say no to that; YOU wear the nice scent. It will be there pleasing both you and all's well.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 11:48 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
I would say no to that; YOU wear the nice scent. It will be there pleasing both you and all's well.

I do. But I would like him to also. I like good smells. It would make him more attractive to me.

zaq

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 11:55 pm
Styles change for men as they do for women, if less quickly. In the 1700s, wealthy men wore shirts with lace ruffles and vests embroidered with pink rosebuds. Not too many straight men in the 21st Century would be caught dead in such a getup. I might add that in 19th-century Western Europe, only women of loose virtue wore eyeshadow--yet frum women account for a significant percentage of the current market share of this product.

In the 21st Century, wearing cologne is not a hallmark of a gay man ( though for all I know there could be particular brands that appeal to gay men and that signal their inclinations.) Whether or not that has any relevance to the halacha I could not say. But you know that today we don't exactly practice everything as laid out in the Gemara. AYLOR rather than Rabbi Imamother.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions