Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Did you ever hear of a boss buying a house for a worker?
1  2  Next

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 12:11 am
Just curios. Like someone that has a private secretary and buys him a house as a gift? Did you hear anyone that got one?

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 12:15 am
I'm not hundred percent sure, but I believe my old boss had a hand in the purchase of his workers house. And she was enslaved to him. That's all. No boss would buy a house with motives other than wanting to control a worker.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 12:16 am
Nope. That would be quite the gift!

Although I have "heard" (as in it's a common plot thread in secular books and movies) that sometimes rich men pay the rent for their very attractive female secretaries. Of course, then they get reimbursed in other ways.

V'hamaiven yaven

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 12:17 am
Its not just a secretary, someone that takes care of his charity cases and such.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 12:21 am
amother wrote:
Its not just a secretary, someone that takes care of his charity cases and such.

Do you mean he's a charity case? Or does she help him with charities?

Your post interests me. I worked for a filthy rich guy who was crazy. And I know many people there suffered, hoping to get a gift of large monetary proportions. He ended up firing all of them all in a ugly way.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 12:24 am
My boss has offered to help me with a down payment on a house. I explained to him that I am trying to move out of state because I can't afford to live in NYC. But even with his help a house in NYC is still unaffordable to me. The reason he is offering this is because a good reliable worker is hard to find and he is very dependent on me. I'm not saying I'm irreplaceable but it would be a big setback for him if I left.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 12:25 am
amother wrote:

Your post interests me. I worked for a filthy rich guy who was crazy. And I know many people there suffered, hoping to get a gift of large monetary proportions. He ended up firing all of them all in a ugly way.

No whoever comes to him for money he sends too this guy. He takes care of the tzudduka money.

Jeanette

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 12:25 am
amother wrote:

Was his name Donald by any chance?

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 12:28 am
Jeanette wrote:
Was his name Donald by any chance?

I guess there's mores than 1 crazy filthy rich business owner.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 12:31 am
amother wrote:
I guess there's mores than 1 crazy filthy rich business owner.

Ok this boss is totally normal. Owner of a big huge company. Still I'm questioning this.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 12:37 am
amother wrote:

For conversation purposes: its a he not a she.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 12:37 am
amother wrote:
Ok this boss is totally normal. Owner of a big huge company. Still I'm questioning this.

Are you or DH the potential recipient? If so, you may just have a wonderful boss who wants his employees to be happy and productive. Or you may have a controlling boss who will hold this gift over your head so that it becomes a burden rather than a bracha. Make sure there's no fine print.

If you are just an observer, then MYOB.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 12:47 am
Rutabaga wrote:
Are you or DH the potential recipient? If so, you may just have a wonderful boss who wants his employees to be happy and productive. Or you may have a controlling boss who will hold this gift over your head so that it becomes a burden rather than a bracha. Make sure there's no fine print.

If you are just an observer, then MYOB.

Please check my op.
I asked if you have ever heard about it or came across it? Not how and if we should take it or if I should myob.

Simple. I'm not being harsh. If it comes across Like that then I'm sorry. I just need to hear from other ppl. Thanks!

imasoftov

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 4:14 am
Smokey amother wrote:
Please check my op.
I asked if you have ever heard about it or came across it? Not how and if we should take it or if I should myob.

Simple. I'm not being harsh. If it comes across Like that then I'm sorry. I just need to hear from other ppl. Thanks!

In your OP, you were "Just curios" [sic]. Now you "need to hear".

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 4:17 am
My FIL bought one of his workers a house. This is not in america. And he also helped another worker pay for college for her son. Lets just say that the business was doing very well and he wanted these employees to be taken care of. And they are.

DrMom

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 4:47 am
That's quite a perk. I'd worry it comes with strings attached.

Especially if the boss selects the house and purchases it for the employee without consulting him first!

Most people want to *choose* where they live, and they base it on a variety of *personal* factors: School choice, community compatibility, the number of rooms suitable for the family size they want to have, not to mention the physical aspects of the house itself (maybe they want no stairs because they have an elderly relative who visits, maybe they love natural light, etc.). It's a purchase which impacts the entire family for many years into the future.

It seems like a very control-freaky gift. I suppose the recipient could decide to stay put and sell/rent the new house.

Next year, maybe he can buy him a corporate jet.

yOungM0mmy

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 8:53 am
There are some positions which come with a house, which the employee can live in rent free, but does not actually own. The local synagogues here do that for their Rabbis. It's a part of the salary package, and you do not have to pay tax on it, although do declare it when looking at benefits, kind of like a company car. I do know of one person who had a personal driver for himself and his family, the driver had been with them for years and was very close with them, drove the kids at all hours of day or night so no way he could take another job, etc. He lived in a house that the Boss bought, and said he would give, but unfortunately did not take care of the paperwork, and when the boss went kaput, so did the house...

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 9:35 am
I know someone who may get a house from his boss because his boss owns multiple complexes and can "spare" one townhouse. However, there are financial cheshbonos that others wouldn't be aware of, for example, the employee has invested $250,000 with his employer, so that would be payback of sorts. In addition, the rest of the value of the house would be slowly deducted from the paycheck over the course of a number of years.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 9:41 am
amother wrote:
I know someone who may get a house from his boss because his boss owns multiple complexes and can "spare" one townhouse. However, there are financial cheshbonos that others wouldn't be aware of, for example, the employee has invested $250,000 with his employer, so that would be payback of sorts. In addition, the rest of the value of the house would be slowly deducted from the paycheck over the course of a number of years.

Yeah, that was the deal my boss offered, he'd give the down payment and then freeze my wages for the next 10 years or so. That means being locked into this job and still having a high mortgage payment that I can't really afford.

UQT

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 9:41 am
It's called golden handcuffs
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics