Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Crock pot help-chicken and potatoes

aqua1

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 7:48 am
My oven and stove is broken so I want to make supper in a crock pot. I have a small 2.5 lb chicken in my freezer and would like to use it and make chicken and potatoes. Recipes anyone? Also, can I use the chicken while its still frozen? or it needs to defrost first before putting it in the crockpot? Thank you!

youngishbear

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 8:47 am
It's probably best to defrost first, but I've done it both ways with the same results.

I line the crockpot with sliced onions, dice or slice potatoes, some paprika, salt, and pepper, then the chicken over it sprinkling some more spices. I pour in some water to keep the whole thing from sticking, but not much.

This is plain and simple, no frills. I'm following this thread to see if anyone has easy variations.

pickle321

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 9:01 am
Youngish bear- how long do u cook it and on high or low?

youngishbear

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 9:15 am
pickle321 wrote:
Youngish bear- how long do u cook it and on high or low?

Start off high. If I need to leave for a long day at work I turn it down a bit (4 on a 6 point knob) to prevent it from drying out. If I'm home to monitor, or there's less time to dinner, I leave it on high. In my experience it needs a good few hours to cook. I've never put it up less than 4-5 hours in advance but maybe others have different experience.

sneakermom

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 9:37 am
This recipe I think is from ra-mom

Layer of sliced large onion on bottom
Chicken quarters on top
Head of garlick peeled and scattered on top of chicken
Layer of siced potato
Spices
No water!
I add apricot jam or honey because we like a little sweet.

November

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 10:28 am
I cook a whole chicken (if frozen, give more time) together with onions, carrots and potatoes. Add a little water and spices. Really anything you put into chicken soup you can add.
I've also cooked a chicken in the crockpot together with onion, sweet potatoes and barley (plus water). Add spices, including lots of paprika.

aqua1

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 11:47 am
Thanks for the recipes! I put up the chicken and potatoes a few hours ago but I want to add more potatoes in now. How long will it take for them to cook on high? If it makes a difference, I ended up making it with a bbq sauce
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey