Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Connection between strep B and allergies?

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 6:03 pm
So I'm doing research now about my strep B in pregnancy.

I came across some sources stating that there's a connection between taking antibiotics in labor and then the child suffering later on from either celiac, allergies, eczema and the rest.

The only child I was strep B positive at birth, which was treated with antibiotics ended up with bad food allergies. My other kids have nothing of the sort.

Anyone else with a similar experience?
I'm just so not looking forward having to be on the antibiotics again in labor...

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 6:07 pm
Please no attacking or bashing.

I'm just curious if anyone has a child that's suffering from allergies and the rest after the mother took antibiotics at birth.

I know how devastating strep B can be on an infant so I don't need to be clarified. I've done tons of research. So if you don't have any personal experience please don't reply.

Thanks lots:)

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 6:13 pm
Well I had antibiotics during both labors and B"H no food allergies.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 6:19 pm
FWIW, my only child with allergies is also the only child that, during pregnancy, I treated my GBS. I used a vaginal antibiotic cream to get a negative on the second test before birth. With my next, I refused GBS testing, and with subsequent births, I tested negative.

However, this child, being my oldest, also underwent many other treatments I did not do with my others, so I don't know that I'd blame the antibiotics. In addition, this pregnancy was by far the most stressful for me, and I'd say those stress hormones might have also played a factor.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 7:01 pm
Did you read the other thread in the Natural Parenting forum? There is a new line of research showing vaginal flora and microbiomes at birth contribute to the overall health of a child, including the areas of immunity and gut health.

tweety1

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 9:40 pm
I don't see connection. I've benn treated plenty of times for gbs and bh I have no allergies in my family.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 10:29 pm
amother wrote:
So I'm doing research now about my strep B in pregnancy.

I came across some sources stating that there's a connection between taking antibiotics in labor and then the child suffering later on from either celiac, allergies, eczema and the rest.

The only child I was strep B positive at birth, which was treated with antibiotics ended up with bad food allergies. My other kids have nothing of the sort.

Anyone else with a similar experience?
I'm just so not looking forward having to be on the antibiotics again in labor...

With my 1st 3 kids, I was gbs positive and had antibiotics. With the next 3, I was negative and did not.

My youngest is still fully nursing, but #4 and #5--with whom I did not have antibiotics--both have food allergies, and 1 of them is my only child with asthma.

The 1st 3--with whom I did have antibiotics--have no food or environmental allergies or other auto-immune issues, b"H.

gibberish

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 10:54 pm
I have the opposite experience:

With my first child, no GBS or antibiotics but terrible eczema and allergies
With my second child, I was given antibiotics, but no allergies and eczema is extremely mild

baltomom

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 11:51 pm
I've been GBS positive and treated with antibiotics during labor I think for all my kids except the first. My oldest has some hay fever (but nothing awful) and of my others, one has mild hay fever, one has mild eczema on her back, and nobody has any food allergies BH.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 12:50 pm
Thanks to all that answered!

Would love to hear more experiences!

prestige

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 4:11 pm
I wasalways positive and was treated with meds, bh no allergis!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics