Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
PLEASE turn down the volume
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 11:41 am
At my wedding it was not blaring because I told the bandleader that if it's too loud I'm going to stop what I'm doing, walk across the room, and specifically tell him to turn it down.

Hashemlovesme

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 12:35 pm
/my dh is a keyboardist who plays at simchas...he makes a point of playing at a decent decibel level (ok, Purim parties are in a category of their own) & usually gets compliments on it. What he is appalled at is when he sees little kids standing right in front of the speakers! On the other side sometimes the bochurim just want louder & louder & you gotta please the crown (unless the one paying overrides), but yeah, it maked me nuts that you're shouting, can't hear your friends & come home with a headache. I stuff cotton in mu kids ears (cuz I can't find kid sized earplugs).

Isramom8

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 1:01 pm
I definitely have it in mind. If I don't speak up, my father is sure to "gently" remind me to. Wink

Tablepoetry

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 2:37 pm
IME its loudest in charedi weddings. I don't know why. I do know that at most charedi events I attend I expect I will have to shout to my seat mate.
I think its much classier to have the music at a volume that doesn't prevent conversations at the table, even if it means a few less people will be dancing.

Shmerling

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 2:45 pm
Tablepoetry wrote:
IME its loudest in charedi weddings. I don't know why. I do know that at most charedi events I attend I expect I will have to shout to my seat mate.
I think its much classier to have the music at a volume that doesn't prevent conversations at the table, even if it means a few less people will be dancing.

By the actual meal the music is usually slow and not too loud. Its by the dancing that they turn up the volume way too high, thinking that it'll be more leibidig.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 10:36 am
Who has info on recommended decibel levels? I want to call the band now before our wedding & discuss with specific info.

Also there are a couple of women who write letters to the editor about this, I think Miriam Lieberman is one of them. Anyone have their contact info?

(I know this is an old thread, I am bumping it up rather than starting a new one.)

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 2:30 pm
We recently married off our first child, and PAID, yes we actually paid, the musician to keep the volume low so that guest can actually have a conversation during dancing without losing their voices. My DH instructed the music engineer that "I want the music low enough that I should come to you and complain to please make it louder..."

And everyone danced lebedig, so no, loud music doesn't make a chassunah more energetic or lebedig.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 2:45 pm
OP (of the revived part of the thread) here. The thing here is that the other side is paying the musicians. Do I also pay them? I like your criteria but I would prefer to give them an actual decibel level.

sourstix

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 7:18 pm
I heard the reason why they make it so loud is because this way you wont hear their mistakes. I mean the musicians. I think its horrible. I dont even enjoy it because it blasts so loud that it just vibrates through my body.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 9:34 pm
amother wrote:
OP here. The thing here is that the other side is paying the musicians. Do I also pay them? I like your criteria but I would prefer to give them an actual decibel level.
I wonder if a decibel level is bichlal shayech. There are so many things to take into consideration: hall size, ceiling height, type of mechitzes ( ceiling to floor or open on top), everything matters when it comes to acoustics. This is why we proposed a comfort level rather than specifying actual numbers.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics