Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Xtra large washing machine with standard dryer

sky

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 1:56 pm
My washing machine just died and I need a new one - I want a top loader only (its located in my main bathroom so I don't want to have to keep the door open, and I'm tall enough )
But I'm not replacing my standard size dryer.
Does it make sense to spend the money on extra capacity machine if my dryer isn't the same size? Will I still have to do smaller loads?
I also don't have extra space to fit a larger machine so I have to make sure the size is okay.

[I do a ton of laundry weekly and have some bed wetters so the xtra capacity sounds very nice, just want to make sure I can take advantage of it]

lkwdmommy

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 2:10 pm
Go for it. What happens if (Ch"V) your dryer goes in a few months? Then you'll kick yourself. If anything, you'll make more than one dryer load per washer load. Still easier than multiple washer loads IMO.

sky

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 2:16 pm
Hopefully it won't go because I bought it 8 years ago (does that make it old, I'm hoping it should last). I didn't do so much laundry then to think about large capacity.

lkwdmommy

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 3:17 pm
My repairman says dryers should last a long time because they are very simple machines (no complicated computer parts). So I guess you're good for a while.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 3:24 pm
Most of my loads have some hang-dry-only in them so it's not usually a full load going in the dryer.
I also hang the sheets from my bedwetters since the dryer takes too long.
It's worthwhile to have a hanging rod nearby to hang all the dresses and stuff.

sky

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 4:23 pm
Thanks. I do have shower rod right there and hang a lot.

Why when I call and order a washing machine do they tell me washing machines don't last. They may just last 2 - 5 years and you MUST buy a warranty and I read the reviews online I see the same.
Why is a $500 purchase disposable?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 5:06 pm
I bought an HE washer which holds more than the old agitator kind because it doesn't have the agitator taking space and a regular dryer which has the same cubic feet anyway -- they were always bigger than what the washers held. It was totally fine space wise.

sky

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 9:53 pm
HY - thanks for that info. It helps.
The more I read the more I'm thinking getting a machine with an agitator may be the smarter thing to do (more reliable, clean better, more control of the water, cheaper price).

I really don't want to spend so much money and hate the thing.

Right now I'm being advised to get a 4.9 cu ft LG or 4.5 cu ft Samsung.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 9:08 am
It's hard to find one with an agitator, but if you can find one, you may be happy (only caveat is that you can't really wash comforters but you're used to that I guess).

But I just checked my invoice and yeah dryers are typically 7 cu ft anyway Smile "GAS 7.0CF AUTO DRY 10CYC 5 TMP" (the old style, non digital, cost me like $425 a few years ago, whirlpool)

So whichever washer you choose, keeping your dryer should not be an issue
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry