Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Ds age 15 hacked the internet
1  2  Next

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 6:22 pm
He wrote a program to find out all the passwords. I can't refuse computer for him because he needs it for school. He is practically a genius. Wwyd???

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 6:27 pm
Early admissions to MIT.
Seriously see if there are college courses he can take.
Maybe an internship at Google or Apple
He sounds like a boy that can go far.

youngishbear

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 6:39 pm
What's your question? How to keep him off the web?

trixx

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 7:20 pm
I would encourage him to keep doing it lol. Have him learn coding as that is actually useful. And just redirect his talents for something positive

sourstix

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 7:26 pm
so he wrote a program or he hacked the computer. it doesnt sound the same to me. hacking is something anyone can learn. writing a program is something else.

sourstix

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 7:27 pm
what is he using the computer in school for? are they using the web? for what? is he learning something useful there?

CPenzias

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 7:49 pm
He's smart!

sourstix

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 8:29 pm
dh also knew how to hack computers at a certain point. yes hes good technically

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 9:45 pm
He knows coding and a lot of computer languages. He is doing school work and extra math on the computer. He writes programs to modify the computer and to get what he wants from it. Don't ask me how he does that. I am afraud he is going to go to inappropriate sites. That is my concern. I'm not even sure if he had done it already.

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 9:51 pm
wow. get him into some college programming classes. Keep him busy learning stuff. He is obviously too smart for his high school education.

chances are to be honest- a 15 year old computer genius will find his way to inappropriate sites no matter what you do.

teach him internet safety and keep him as busy as you can with good things. maybe physically take away the computer at a certain time at night.

sourstix

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 9:53 pm
you can check on his history. you can see whatever he typed in. you can see if he saw inappropriate stuff. it wont help cause he is a genius. hopefully you can channel it.

sourstix

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 9:56 pm
would he be interested in different things that can be done on the computer? is he very into the hacking stuff? can you get him to do some graphics for instance so he does stuff on the computer and learns something at the same time? if hacking is something he enjoys then it will be hard to take him away from it.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 10:08 pm
It's time for a discussion about trust.

If it were my DS I would tell him that I love him and trust him. I would have a little talk about the dangers of the internet, and how easy it is to even accidentally come across something inappropriate, and how the passwords are there to protect everyone in the family.

I would emphasize how proud I am of the smart work he's doing, and suggest that he write programs that can benefit the family in some way, for example a program that displays birthday greetings to each family member or something else fun along those lines.

Then it's time to remind DS that he needs to trust you. That you are doing what you believe is best for him and he needs to respect that. Trust has to go both ways and the only way that you can continue to trust him is if he trusts you.

The strongest weapon in a parent's arsenal is not discipline - it's disappointment. You can be proud of how smart he is but disappointed at how he's channeling it. Express your hope that he'll make you proud instead.

justcallmeima

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 11:24 pm
sourstix wrote:
you can check on his history. you can see whatever he typed in. you can see if he saw inappropriate stuff. it wont help cause he is a genius. hopefully you can channel it.

Um... I'm pretty sure the kid could figure out how to umm... let's see... delete his browser history? We have to talk OPENLY with our children about [filth] and how it is damaging to them and to the women (and men) portrayed in the [filth]. The average 15 y.o. kid knows their way around a computer a LOT better than their parents! It just becomes a silly race of who can outstrip whom and the kids will inevitably win.

So talk to your son about trust. And talk to him about [filth] and about online predators. Tell him you realize how smart he is and have an open, honest conversation with him.

trixx

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 11:38 pm
I agree with the trust things. Especially bc you will never catch up to him... for one, you can't "hack the internet" lol and he will probably easily find a way to bypass any filters. So just encourage open conversation, get yourself involved as much as you can (as opposed to letting him sit there and do his thing, but ask about what he's doing etc) and also take away the laptop at a certain time. If it's a family computer, put it in central location where anyone walking by can see the screen.

LisaS

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 1:57 am
I have heard of big companies hiring hackers to validate the system security. So hacking is actually a marketable skill.

sourstix

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 8:09 am
I think the whole fun hes having with the hacking gets boring at a certain point. dont know how long he will be interested in doing it.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 9:48 am
sourstix wrote:
I think the whole fun hes having with the hacking gets boring at a certain point. dont know how long he will be interested in doing it.

Op here
He is not constantly doing it. He just broke all the codes we put to restrict the Internet and I know there is no point to put it again because he will hack anything we will put on the computer. I am worried about [filth] because he is very curious.

youngishbear

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 9:56 am
amother wrote:
Op here
He is not constantly doing it. He just broke all the codes we put to restrict the Internet and I know there is no point to put it again because he will hack anything we will put on the computer. I am worried about [filth] because he is very curious.

All you can do is talk to him about making good choices. You can present him with some facts and statistics about the effects of [filth] on people, and they are quite scary, but ultimately it will be his choice.

trixx

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 12:45 pm
"wow! You are so clever that you managed to bypass the security codes.

Let's discuss this. The filter is there for your protection, as your mom I want to protect you from any negative influences and blah blah blah, as it says you can't trust yourself until the day you die and I just don't want you to be in a situation where you might stumble which is what we daven for every day (don't put me in position to sin - in morning brochos)

You are a growing boy and lots of things are happening to you. It is normal and natural to feel curiosity. However as a yid we know we need to overcome yetzer hara blah blah

All this is to say that I love and want to trust you and I hope you can come to me with one communication. Filter is not bc I don't trust me but bc I wouldn't even trust myself

Let's talk about redirecting your talents. Want to learn code? Free websites online. Design html? You can access these certain websites of tutorials.. Etc"
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics