Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Non-Jewish co-worker brings you lunch

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 12:39 am
A non-Jewish co-worker brings you lunch. She says she bought it at Cafe XYZ at a certain address. There is a kosher cafe at that address, but the bag has no label on it and she says she does not have the receipt.

you have no reason not to believe her or to suspect her of deliberately giving you non-kosher food. The only concern is if she might have been mistaken about where she bought it.

The lunch is salmon and vegetables, so nothing pure traif.

WWYD?

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 12:59 am
AYLOR.

I wouldn't eat it.

DrMom

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 1:18 am
What a strange situation. I wouldn't eat it without some sort of proof she actually bought it at cafe XYZ, unless I knew and trusted this coworker very well.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 5:48 am
There are halachos about "uncovered food". Meaning it was out of sight of a reliable Jew. In the store, in a sealed package, in your hand are considered covered of watched.
I'd say no and describe my self as being nervous or fanatical. Or I may just refuse it and explain the Halacha.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 7:36 am
Iymnok wrote:
There are halachos about "uncovered food". Meaning it was out of sight of a reliable Jew. In the store, in a sealed package, in your hand are considered covered of watched.
I'd say no and describe my self as being nervous or fanatical. Or I may just refuse it and explain the Halacha.

That halacha refers only to meat bc they could swap it for non kosher meat. It doesn't apply to PARVE food.

cnc

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 8:38 am
amother wrote:
That halacha refers only to meat bc they could swap it for non kosher meat. It doesn't apply to PARVE food.

I am 99 percent sure that it applies to fish as well.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 9:20 am
The same exact thing happened to me. I accepted it graciously bc I didn't want to hurt her feelings. I then gave it to a gentile coworker.

goodmorning

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 1:12 pm
cnc wrote:
I am 99 percent sure that it applies to fish as well.

SA YD 118:1
Quote:

יַיִן וּבָשָׂר וַחֲתִיכַת דָּג שֶׁאֵין בּוֹ סִימָן שֶׁהִפְקִיד אוֹ שָׁלַח בְּיַד עוֹבֵד כּוֹכָבִים, צָרִיךְ שְׁנֵי חוֹתָמוֹת. אֲבָל יַיִן מְבֻשָּׁל וְשֵׁכָר, אוֹ יַיִן שֶׁעֵרְבוּ בּוֹ דְּבָרִים אֲחֵרִים, כְּגוֹן דְּבַשׁ, וְכֵן הַחֹמֶץ וְחָלָב וּמוֹרְיָס וּפַת וּגְבִינָה וְכָל שֶׁאִסוּרוֹ מִדִּבְרֵי סוֹפְרִים, שֶׁהִפְקִידוֹ בְּיַד עוֹבֵד כּוֹכָבִים, מֻתָּר בְּחוֹתָם אֶחָד.

pickle321

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 1:17 pm
I wouldn't eat it. Why is she buying you lunch?

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 1:22 pm
I would just ask to see the receipt. That's what mashgichim do.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 1:23 pm
First of all, I would thank her for her kindness and generosity. Then I would ask if she went to the kosher deli (she would remember if she did.) If she says "Oh my gosh, I forgot that you kept kosher!" then you can ask her if it's OK to give it to a homeless person or something like that.

Most importantly, tell her that you can't reasonably expect her to remember all of your complicated dietary laws, and that you don't take the least bit of offense. Say something like "Yes, I know its a lot to remember, and I really appreciate you wanting to be nice."

DD has been in that position with her non Jewish friends, and she'll either say she's not hungry, is allergic, will save it for later, or explain that she keeps Kosher, depending on the situation.

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 3:34 pm
I have found that unless it's someone I will never see again, honesty from the outset is the best policy. Start with evasions and you eventually put both yourself and your thoughtful colleague in an unpleasant situation. Sooner or later you will have to tell her the truth, and if she is furious with you for failing set her straight and causing her to waste her money (as well as feel extremely foolish, which could be the worst part), I, for one, wouldn't blame her.

Furthermore, you could be putting yourself in a "lifnei iver" situation, as this coworker might buy lunch for someone else who is kosher but not very knowledgeable, and tell her that "I buy this for Amother Papaya all the time and she's fine with it."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions